Tirico kept saying the whistle call was a likely TD for Pats

Webster Guy

I'm not sure it would have been a TD, but it might have been. It would have been a huge play regardless given that the two Bills defenders downfield were both engaged and could have blocked. I honestly think that the penalty on Rex was meritless and was basically a make-up call for blowing the whistle.

I guess i am seeing it differently, as i did last night. Darby hears the whistle and lets up BEFORE the catch. I think it would be a fairly standard tackle at that point. I mean Amendola is not running away at point of catch, his body is somewhat sideways.

Now, i also think they could have called holding or illegal contact on Darby , and i assume that could still be enforced after the inadvertant whistle

Uh OK Mike. Now the rest of the media is saying that too when referencing the inadvertant whistle call, that it may have robbed Amendola from running the 60 yards and scoring.

Did anyone else see Darby (who ran a blazing 4.38 40 at the combine) standing next to him in coverage?

The Pats made out just fine with their 25 yard gift for that play.

Thank you. Darby would have tackled him immediately. Tirico is not the only idiot saying it would have been a TD. NFL network spent 20 minutes on it last night and Sullivan and Carucci both repeated this misinformation in their columns today. Just lazy reporting.

I believe that Darby would have made the tackle. He stopped when the whistle blew. It was sickening to keep hearing how the Pats were robbed of a touchdown.

There was a play earlier when a guy made a great catch over the middle, Darby was right on him, and Chucky said "that was a terrible play by Darby." Uh, no. The Patriots guy made a great catch. That's what they do. They don't drop passes.

The missed field goal is what probably cost us the game. We would have taken a 3 point lead into the locker room. Brady likely would have started from the 20 and I don't think he would have driven for that touchdown. At least we would have had a lead in Foxboro for a few minutes.

I used to have a lot of respect for Tirico as an announcer, but lost most of it last night. It seemed like he never bothered to even glance at our roster until the game started. He called Hogan Harvin, he referred to Karlos Williams by a Pats player name at one point... and is such a Brady-Michigan homer ball washer that he can't call a game properly.

If there was no whistle, Gilmore makes that tackle. He's right there on the replay. But they kept insisting that Amendola was all alone. Jeez Louise.

I felt the same way. Absolutely unlistenable. Tirico was horrible. It was like there was only one team out there.

refwh.0.gif

Darby pulled up as soon as the whistle was blown, he would have been there for the tackle.

I just saw it on ESPN too. Yes, he'd have been tackled. And the ball wasn't quite to the receiver when the whistle blew. The rules state that the down is replayed. If I was a Pats fan and that play had been called correctly I'd have been pissed though. Especially considering where Rex was standing. I thought he was between the ref and Brady, but he was between the ref and receiver.

Everyone started pulling up because the whistle blew while the ball was in the air. Amendola only would've had a chance at a long play if Darby whiffs a tackle.

The refs blew it with an inadvertent whistle and then tried to turn two wrongs into a right. The whistle came before the reception so it should've been a dead ball and replay of down but since they felt they'd wronged the Patriots (which they technically did, not necessarily for a TD but for a reception), they decided to pretend the whistle came after the reception and then added on a 15 yard penalty on top of it.

Everyone started pulling up because the whistle blew while the ball was in the air. Amendola only would've had a chance at a long play if Darby whiffs a tackle.

The refs blew it with an inadvertent whistle and then tried to turn two wrongs into a right. The whistle came before the reception so it should've been a dead ball and replay of down but since they felt they'd wronged the Patriots (which they technically did, not necessarily for a TD but for a reception), they decided to pretend the whistle came after the reception and then added on a 15 yard penalty on top of it.

Can anyone tell me WHY Rex was in that refs face for anyways at that point???

One of the most incompetent attempts at officiating I have seen in 36 years of watching football. What followed though was even more bizarre, They screwed up and then tried to make it right by saying the whistle blew when the ball was caught. Total BS then the penalty on Rex for what exactly? Ridiculous amateur garbage!!!