Boots on the Ground

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's overdue. Smartest thing Bush ever did was putting troops in Afghanistan, instead of just bombing the Taliban. You don't win wars by air power alone.

Reality has a funny way of !@#$ing up pollyanna beliefs.

• 2 weeks later...

Obama: No, ISIS isn’t gaining strength … now

Defeating ISIS will take a “multi-year effort” from a large coalition of nations, Barack Obama tells ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, while arguing that ISIS is not getting stronger. That’s an interesting take from a president who claimed less than two years ago that ISIS was the “jayvee team” and that Iraq alone could deal with their rebellion.

Now, Obama says there aren’t enough troops on the ground to “decapitate” the varsity of Islamist terrorist groups, but that Obama wants to be well on the way to that goal before he leaves office.

Gee … wouldn’t it be nice to have had troops in Iraq, if that’s the case?

Obama: No, ISIS isnt gaining strength now

Defeating ISIS will take a multi-year effort from a large coalition of nations, Barack Obama tells ABC News George Stephanopoulos, while arguing that ISIS is not getting stronger. Thats an interesting take from a president who claimed less than two years ago that ISIS was the jayvee team and that Iraq alone could deal with their rebellion.

Now, Obama says there arent enough troops on the ground to decapitate the varsity of Islamist terrorist groups, but that Obama wants to be well on the way to that goal before he leaves office.

Gee wouldnt it be nice to have had troops in Iraq, if thats the case?

Mission accomplished? Ooppps. Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Obama’s expressions of solidarity with the French spirit were appropriately solemn, as the occasion required. But in light of the policies he has actually pursued in the Middle East, I found them infuriating.

When Fallujah fell to ISIS early last year, ground that Americans and their Iraqi allies had conquered with such valiant sacrifice became once again a terrorist safe haven. It was in a New Yorker interview shortly after this that Obama made his famous “JV team” comment. Something else he said then has stuck with me since, as a supreme expression of Obama’s callousness and reckless lack of concern for the dangers we face:

Let’s just keep in mind, Falluja is a profoundly conservative Sunni city in a country that, independent of anything we do, is deeply divided along sectarian lines. And how we think about terrorism has to be defined and specific enough that it doesn’t lead us to think that any horrible actions that take place around the world that are motivated in part by an extremist Islamic ideology are a direct threat to us or something that we have to wade into.

What he means, in essence is this: The U.S. is no longer concerned about terrorist safe havens, even in the heart of the Middle East. If a country is divided along sectarian lines, we won’t lift a finger to help them fight terrorism. We’re willing to drop some bombs (as subordinate members of the Russian-Shiite axis, it turns out). But we certainly will not put boots on the ground, whatever risks that refusal entail – not until the locals get together and end their sectarian divisions. Because, if these terrorist safe havens lead to mass casualty terrorist attacks in our cities, it just goes to show what a mistake the Iraq War was to start with.

That, as far I can figure, is Obama’s actual position. And as he spoke last night, that’s what I heard, not the anodyne junior-speechwriter pabulum that was actually coming out of his mouth. Europe is being overrun in one of history’s most massive population movements, because of the terrorist safe-havens that Obama thinks are nothing we need to wade into.

What, exactly, is the administration’s position on terrorist safe havens such as the one ISIS enjoys mostly securely, as a matter of administration policy, on the very ground our soldiers fought and died for just a few years ago?

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

http://icasualties.org/iraq/ByMonth.aspx

If Obama gets some blame for loss of life in a Paris terrorist attack he should also get some credit for reducing the number of dead and wounded soldiers coming back from Iraq

Sure, credit where credit is due. The Obama administration followed the Status of Forces Agreement signed during the Bush administration

It's overdue. Smartest thing Bush ever did was putting troops in Afghanistan, instead of just bombing the Taliban. You don't win wars by air power alone.

beliefs.

Oh, is there a way to win in Afganistan? Let's here it genius

Sure, credit where credit is due. The Obama administration followed the Status of Forces Agreement signed during the Bush administration

Yes, something that would not have been followed had his Republican opponent won the election in 2008. Obama would have pulled the troops out with or without the agreement, but since the Iraqis wanted us out, it was a good call.

I see Ben Carson wants to send our boys back into this hell hole.

There was a time not so long ago when President Barack Obama boasted of how he had “ended” the Iraq War. It was, in his telling, a sign of his stalwart fidelity to his word.
A video produced by his 2012 presidential campaign was titled “Ending the War in Iraq: A Promise Kept.
In December 2011 his website said: “This month, President Obama is making good on his promise to bring the last American troops home from Iraq in time for the holidays.”
The president portrayed the complete withdrawal of U.S. troops as testimony to his exemplary political character. “You know I say what I mean and I mean what I say,” he told crowds during his reelection campaign. “I said I’d end the war in Iraq. I ended it.”
That’s as definitive a statement of responsibility as you get
With the creation of the terrorist group ISIS came the initial dismissal of people's concern with presidential distain and the famous "JV" team nonsense
Finally we were forced to start the limited air strikes to contain ISIS.....................we know how well that has worked.
Obama and Clinton are incapable of dealing with the growing threat to all the west.............they cannot even say the words.
God help us in the days ahead.

There was a time not so long ago when President Barack Obama boasted of how he had “ended” the Iraq War. It was, in his telling, a sign of his stalwart fidelity to his word.
A video produced by his 2012 presidential campaign was titled “Ending the War in Iraq: A Promise Kept.
In December 2011 his website said: “This month, President Obama is making good on his promise to bring the last American troops home from Iraq in time for the holidays.”
The president portrayed the complete withdrawal of U.S. troops as testimony to his exemplary political character. “You know I say what I mean and I mean what I say,” he told crowds during his reelection campaign. “I said I’d end the war in Iraq. I ended it.”
That’s as definitive a statement of responsibility as you get
With the creation of the terrorist group ISIS came the initial dismissal of people's concern with presidential distain and the famous "JV" team nonsense
Finally we were forced to start the limited air strikes to contain ISIS.....................we know how well that has worked.
Obama and Clinton are incapable of dealing with the growing threat to all the west.............they cannot even say the words.
God help us in the days ahead.

Anyone with half a brain knew that "ended the war in Iraq" meant "ended OUR war in Iraq."

The real problem was that he ended it, but he didn't finish it. And as the smarter of us were saying even ten years ago: if you don't finish the job, you're going to have to go back and clean up a bigger mess later, and it'll cost more money and blood.

Anyone with half a brain knew that "ended the war in Iraq" meant "ended OUR war in Iraq."

The real problem was that he ended it, but he didn't finish it. And as the smarter of us were saying even ten years ago: if you don't finish the job, you're going to have to go back and clean up a bigger mess later, and it'll cost more money and blood.

Yeah but with 14 months to go the Obama doctrine won't change:

It's his predecessor's fault and his successors problem

*edit hmm, when I do a quote lately it's doubling up the quote

Edited by /dev/null