Why is Jerome Felton a Buffalo Bill?

Thanks -- I'm glad I'm not alone in remembering the 1973 team ... Braxton played fullback that year, and did so very well. You're implication is correct: it was a different time when you could get away with a great running game and a dozen passes a game. But the point remains -- when you are a complete one dimensional player (and Felton's career: 9th season, 47 rushes, 165 yards, 43 receptions), you had better nail that one dimension. If someone can point out to me a play in which you could have said "great block thrown by Felton" I'd be surprised ... on the other hand, "Felton totally whiffed on that block" sticks out.

Larry Watkins was the main FB in 1973. Braxton only played in 6 games and averaged over 80 rushing yards per game.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at 'Gamday Scouting reports" by cover1 you can see where and how Felton is being used.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183219-gameday-scouting-reports/

By the way the Snap Counts provided by Buffalo News are lacking (in first post in thread) - it fails to include when players are not on roster so some data is skewed.

Data is stored in google docs if anyone wanted access to raw data to manipulate.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/stats/snap-counts/

Larry Watkins was the main FB in 1973. Braxton only played in 6 games and averaged over 80 rushing yards per game.

Now there's a name I don't recall ever hearing before, Larry Watkins. Jerome Felton, you are the next Larry Watkins.

EDIT: in your dreams. I see that Watkins ran for 1700 yards in his NFL career. Felton? 165. Really, 165 yards in 41 career starts? 4 yards per game? Like I said, when you're this much a one dimensional blocker, you sure as hell better not be whiffing of key blocks ... for some reason folks like to pick on the Lee Smith/Mulligan blocking tight ends but are giving Felton a pass. Felton is the uber Smith/Mulligan.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Felton also led the way for McCoy on a sweep to the right side. Or at least that was the play. McCoy cut it back inside the RT, leaving Felton to block some guy who was out of the play. That's McCoy's style -- I'm not complaining about it, it's very effective and sometimes explosive. But that's a big reason why Felton is useless on this team -- he's a lead blocker for a guy who refuses to be led.