Over/Under on Yahoo viewers?

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1602900-yahoo-promises-3-5m-viewers-for-bills-jags

Yahoo has promised their advertisers that 3.5 million viewers would tune in for the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars game.

Have former coworker who works for Yahoo now. Contacted him and asked him if he was going to watch the game. He told me he doesn't watch football still except Superbowl but was instructed at work to sign in to Yahoo to watch game before he goes to play golf.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since football game views tend to have dropoffs when game is not in question.I would be asking peak and average viewership if I was an advertiser and be looking ahead of time on way to take even a bigger discount off ad price after game.

Business Insider, original source of article, did not specify and being a non-football source made a few mistakes but NFL writers do the same thing when facts do not agree with opinion.

http://www.businessinsider.com/yahoo-nfl-streaming-ad-rates-decline-2015-10

The viewing audience (On Yahoo) for this game is going to be Bills fans who no longer live in WNY, 7 Jacksonville fans who don't live in Jacksonville but want to see the game, and then like 473 die hard NFL fans across the nation who can't wait for their Sunday football to start.

Oh, plus all Yahoo employees apparently.

I'm going to say the 3.5 million goal isn't reached.

The viewing audience (On Yahoo) for this game is going to be Bills fans who no longer live in WNY, 7 Jacksonville fans who don't live in Jacksonville but want to see the game, and then like 473 die hard NFL fans across the nation who can't wait for their Sunday football to start.

You could be right but it's the only game that's going to be on at 930am. I know I don't really care to watch other teams/games but after/before a bills game I still usually have a game on.

That's usually the time of day people are having a cup of coffee and waiting for football to start.

Edited by The Wiz

haha. Yeah, I am going to say the over-under is like 200,000 people.

Maybe yahoo would have better luck with a game in the eastern time zone in the U.S featuring two great teams.

I would think around the world it will be much more than that. They decided on the time in part because it was prime time in China and India. Sure there isn't much demand for American football there but there are a lot of people around the world that would like to see games that never get a chance to. It's available to billions.

...or taking their post-coffee morning dump. i'm totally missing the first 20 minutes of the game.

True Dat....

I would think around the world it will be much more than that. They decided on the time in part because it was prime time in China and India. Sure there isn't much demand for American football there but there are a lot of people around the world that would like to see games that never get a chance to. It's available to billions.

Lets go Bruffaro....

You could be right but it's the only game that's going to be on at 930am. I know I don't really care to watch other teams/games but after/before a bills game I still usually have a game on.

That's usually the time of day people are having a cup of coffee and waiting for football to start.

9:30 in the east, but progressively earlier as you move west and by the time you hit water the game starts at 6:30. Only the hardest core fans that aren't fans of the Jags or Bills are getting up at 6:30 on a Sunday to watch :) I have trouble seeing them making 3.5 million to be honest.

Have former coworker who works for Yahoo now. Contacted him and asked him if he was going to watch the game. He told me he doesn't watch football still except Superbowl but was instructed at work to sign in to Yahoo to watch game before he goes to play golf.

Advertisers who are smart will request the IP addresses of the viewers and filter out all ones registered to Yahoo ;)

There are millions of fantasy football player out there who might stream the game. Whether or not they will watch much of it is another matter.

My guess is they'll have a million sign-ins throughout the game.

Edited by sfladave

9:30 in the east, but progressively earlier as you move west and by the time you hit water the game starts at 6:30. Only the hardest core fans that aren't fans of the Jags or Bills are getting up at 6:30 on a Sunday to watch :) I have trouble seeing them making 3.5 million to be honest.

Advertisers who are smart will request the IP addresses of the viewers and filter out all ones registered to Yahoo ;)

I'm not saying that they make 3.5m viewers, and again I ask if it's concurrent or total. Considering yes it is 6:30am on the west coast Yahoo doesn't only work in the US. The fact that the game is basically being given away for free is reason enough for people throughout the world to tune in and see. This has never been done before so it could be a total hit or a total bust but I think there will be more viewers from across the globe than most think.

As to your second point, that's what vpn is for.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm not saying that they make 3.5m viewers, and again I ask if it's concurrent or total. Considering yes it is 6:30am on the west coast Yahoo doesn't only work in the US. The fact that the game is basically being given away for free is reason enough for people throughout the world to tune in and see. This has never been done before so it could be a total hit or a total bust but I think there will be more viewers from across the globe than most think.

As to your second point, that's what vpn is for.

Yahoo instructing employees to use a VPN to deceive their advertisers? That is an interesting concept in and of itself :)

...or taking their post-coffee morning dump. i'm totally missing the first 20 minutes of the game.

you could save fifteen minutes if you did not take the newspaper and cup of coffee with you to the dump ?

Or take the laptop.

that my only complaint/concern

I think you know what I meant but when I think about your response it actually is an interesting concept.

for the dummies. VPN ?

some other log on ?

you could save fifteen minutes if you did not take the newspaper and cup of coffee with you to the dump ?

Or take the laptop.

that my only complaint/concern

for the dummies. VPN ?

some other log on ?

VPN masks your local IP. To put it in movie terms, you know when they are tracing someone connection and is bouncing all over the world, that's kinda the idea.

VPN masks your local IP. To put it in movie terms, you know when they are tracing someone connection and is bouncing all over the world, that's kinda the idea.

Umm whats a movie term?

i think i get it well enough. Isn't that illegal for employees to drive the number up?

I don't think there are 7 fans IN Jacksonville.

Umm whats a movie term?

i think i get it well enough. Isn't that illegal for employees to drive the number up?

I can't tell if you are joking or not so I'll explain it anyways. Movie term is me trying to tell you what you see in the movies when they are tracing a call/computer.

As for the second part, no. It would actually make their numbers the same. It's a connection to the site from an IP that's unknown to them. Think of it this way, I work at 22 something drive but live at 44 somewhere lane. I can tell telemarketers my work address and get all my junk there instead of getting it at my home address.

Basically it's a way of faking out the other end (nfl, yahoo, google) where you are located instead of your home address.

We should be dominant in India since Buffaloes are sacred in India.