Scouting the Bengals (Last Week's Game)

A few observations after just watching the Bengals' comeback win vs the Seahawks in Cincy on GamePass...

Dalton- having a huge year and made some nice throws to all parts of the field. Good pocket presence and looked quick on a few designed read-option plays. Sells play-action well. Cincy also runs a lot of these 'fake handoff in one direction and then quick pass in the opposite direction' type plays...they never gained much yardage against Seattle and hopefully Gilmore or Darby can recognize and jump these routes for a potential pick-six. Holds the ball longer than any QB we've faced since Tannehill...maybe our D-line can take advantage. Threw one pick and Sherman III had another slip through his hands.

Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard- Hill looked slow and must have only averaged about a yard per carry, didn't look like the guy who dominated on my fantasy football team last year. Bernard looked as shifty and quick as advertised, he will be difficult to stop. Did drop a few passes thrown to him, but I think he's usually more reliable catching the ball.

AJ Green- Best WR in the league this year other than Julio Jones IMO. Seattle played Cary Williams on him for the first half in single coverage for some reason and Green won almost all those battles. The Seahawks wised up in the 2nd half and gave Williams safety help over the top...I think Gilmore (and maybe even Darby) will be a much tougher matchup for Green, but we might need to do the same. Not too worried about their other WRs, but Green and Eifert will open up opportunities for them.

Tyler Eifert- his emergence is the biggest factor in Dalton's breakout season. Once Seattle doubled Green, Eifert started to go off. Did benefit from a broken coverage on his second TD, but we need to make him our number one priority on defense. I think Bradham has the speed to stick with him, but Wagner and KJ Wright are great LBs too and Eifert was constantly open to bail out Dalton...not sure what we do here.

Cincy O-line- went into the game thinking that they were a bona fide top 5 line in the NFL. Granted, it was against Seattle, but I thought they had a shaky performance. Running game wasn't that effective, looked better in pass protection. Michael Bennett absolutely tore their interior linemen apart, getting into the backfield in less than a second on a number of occasions and forcing a fumble that was returned for a TD. Allowed a few sacks and got called for at least three holding penalties. Looked susceptible to speed rushers so Hughes could have a big day in particular.

Cincy Defense- Randomly got carved up by Thomas Rawls (an undrafted rookie from Central Michigan) to the tune of 160+ yards, looked like they miss Burfict. Despite that, their defensive line looked pretty good and will make life tough on our O-line this week, may need to leave a back in to help out against them. Dunlap is the league's sack leader and was in Russell Wilson's face a lot. Pacman Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick are good corners. A good to great defense overall, but showed that they can be run on.

Big win against a tough opponent (although I think Seattle showed that they have slipped a bit from where they were in the last two years), but I came away from this game less impressed with Cincy than I expected and I feel a little better about the Bills' chances. Still not completely sold on Dalton and I think we can make him uncomfortable with our pass rush and force him into mistakes. They may run no huddle or get the ball out quicker like Brady and Manning did against us, but I think that would actually neutralize Green and Eifert a bit, taking away some of the longer routes they've been most successful with.

A lot more optimistic for this game now. The Ralph will be rocking and fingers crossed that we can get mostly everyone back healthy. Go Bills!

Nice analysis. Thanks for putting in the effort. Lots and lots of hype about Cincy this year. They're off to a good start for sure.

On a side note, Marvin Lewis has matured as an NFL head coach. When he was first named their HC, I really thought he was not very good and wouldn't last long. I think he's one of the longest tenured HCs in The League right now. Having a steady and constant situation in the FO and coaching staff pays dividends in this league. There are very few examples of teams churning over their FO and coaching staffs and producing consistent winners. Sometimes it takes some time to build a program.

Go Bills!

Thanks for the breakdown. The scary part for me is that they are very healthy and will be rolling in at full strength. Also their OL is probably the best we will face. They struggled against Seattle when Andre Smith went out for abut with a elbow injury, but he looks to be OK.

I want to think they could be rattled by the road atmosphere, but I think they went into both Oakland and KC and won easily, both hostile crowds.

That said, I've seen too many eggs laid by these guys in Recent years when not really expected, and it's the same cast of characters as far as players and coaches. So I think there is certainly a chance to pull it out if the Bills have a good game plan and bring their best.

Though they are stacked in terms of talent, they aren't the Pats in terms of coaching and QB. So they are beatable.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Dalton's getting rid of the ball extremely fast this season, i think Clayton said 2.2 seconds on WGR yesterday. the Bills D will need to adjust to the quick release QB's, hopefully they figure it out....This is going to be a tough week, the Bills will need to put some points on the board to win, this will not be a low scoring game...

Nice analysis. Thanks for putting in the effort. Lots and lots of hype about Cincy this year. They're off to a good start for sure.

On a side note, Marvin Lewis has matured as an NFL head coach. When he was first named their HC, I really thought he was not very good and wouldn't last long. I think he's one of the longest tenured HCs in The League right now. Having a steady and constant situation in the FO and coaching staff pays dividends in this league. There are very few examples of teams churning over their FO and coaching staffs and producing consistent winners. Sometimes it takes some time to build a program.

Go Bills!

He needs to win a playoff game or 2 this year or I think he is going to be out no matter what their regular season record is.