Defense must play great today

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, my standards are just higher than yours.

I think that when you pay defensive linemen enormous contracts that they should look like other elite guys around the league do: beating the OL, getting to the QB and impacting the game in obvious ways.

I don't think you pay defensive linemen enormous contracts to "be great behind the scenes" while the other team moves the ball at will.

I don't think the defense is as bad as you're making them sound. They played great one game (Dolphins) decent in two others (Giants, Colts) and bad in another (****).

That doesn't constitute bad in "most" games.

They are still a formidable defense.

Look at the league stats for total defense. We're near the bottom for pass defense. Yes, we've faced some top quarterbacks but we still should be doing much better.

Agree with defense having to play well today... but Tyrod Taylor and the O-Line must be phenomenal too. Without a scary running game, my guess is that the Titans will stack the box and force TT to throw all game. And with No Sammy out there, guys are going to have to get open.

This team is constructed to win with defense, a strong running game and big plays from the fast WRs. Their top 2 RBs and top WR are injured, so they really have to have a dominant defensive effort against a rookie QB on a team that was 2-14 last year.

if the defense gives up 17 points or more, it will be a disappointment and likely lead to a loss.

Look at the league stats for total defense. We're near the bottom for pass defense. Yes, we've faced some top quarterbacks but we still should be doing much better.

Well the secondary should cover the players they are supposed to. When QBs get the ball out quicker against the Bills then any other team that means the secondary isn't covering the WRs

This team paid for elite, not average on D.

Rex came in talking about the 85 Bears. Rex didn't come in saying "guys, we're going to have an average defense!"

The two posters attacking me for not being about "wins" (which is a total joke and not at all what I said) act like this team is on a roll.

We're 2-2, and just got beat pretty convincingly at home AGAIN.

IF the team was 3-1 or 4-0 then there would not be a problem.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Well the secondary should cover the players they are supposed to. When QBs get the ball out quicker against the Bills then any other team that means the secondary isn't covering the WRs

Is the secondary not part of the defense? The whole defense must play great to win today.

I'll agree that they haven't lived up to the hype. So far they aren't playing as well as they did at the end of last year.

But the run defense is legit. And we've played probably the best passing teams we are likely to play all season.

I think a decent performance gets it done ridat.

This team paid for elite, not average on D.

Rex came in talking about the 85 Bears. Rex didn't come in saying "guys, we're going to have an average defense!"

The two posters attacking me for not being about "wins" (which is a total joke and not at all what I said) act like this team is on a roll.

We're 2-2, and just got beat pretty convincingly at home AGAIN.

Wrong again Funtroll.

Is the secondary not part of the defense? The whole defense must play great to win today.

Read his posts he is talking about the D-Line who is playing great.

Wrong again Funtroll.

Read his posts he is talking about the D-Line who is playing great.

What's wrong about that?

Rex talked big saying his defense would be #1 AND referenced the 85 Bears.

The team is 2-2.

Why am I arguing with a person named after dehydrated meat?

But I started the thread talking about the entire defense and you pooh poohed it.

My main issue is with the DL but the entire D has been a letdown given the hype and investment.

But I started the thread talking about the entire defense and you pooh poohed it.

No I didn't... I agreed with you but showed it was a captain obvious type of statement.

What's wrong about that?

Rex talked big saying his defense would be #1 AND referenced the 85 Bears.

The team is 2-2.

Why am I arguing with a person named after dehydrated meat?

My main issue is with the DL but the entire D has been a letdown given the hype and investment.

Your main issue is the wrong one which is what I have been trying to tell you.

No I didn't... I agreed with you but showed it was a captain obvious type of statement.

Your main issue is the wrong one which is what I have been trying to tell you.

What IS the problem then? The secondary?

I agree that they are a problem too. But you are saying that this DL is playing up to its potential right now?

What IS the problem then? The secondary?

I agree that they are a problem too. But you are saying that this DL is playing up to its potential right now?

Yea, they are. Can't blame them when Brady and Eli get the ball out faster then any NFL QB in the league against us. It means our secondary can't even cover for 2 seconds... The run defense hasn't suffered, and if you were even a little correct about the D-Line then the run defense would suffer.

The defense needs to become consistent with communication. LBs and secondary have missed the call a couple times. made the whole defense look bad.

I have no problem with Thurman dumbing it down a tinch and just the front four pin the ears for a minute.

BTW Mariota is in for a tough day

I agree with dried meat that the secondary is a big problem....

Maybe the problem is the way this defense is built... all that $$ on DL and they "cannot" get home because of weaknesses in the back. That's on Rex/Whaley then.

maybe what we are learning is that the secondary is more important than the DL overall

When Rex had his great defenses he had elite CBs, LBs and safeties and 1 great DT

Edited by TheFunPolice