Rex Ryan's Defenses since 2005

bobobonators

I know we've all been a bit disappointed so far with the amount of sacks our D has been able to obtain so far this season, but looking back at Rex's history with the Ravens and the Jets, I was surprised to see how infrequently his defenses ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in sacks. Rex has certainly coached some awesome defenses, but sacks haven't been his teams' strong points:

With Ravens:

2005: 8th in sacks / 10th in points/game

2006: 2nd in sacks / 1st in points/game

2007: 19th in sacks / 22 in points/game

2008: 11th in sacks / 3rd in points/game

With Jets:

2009: 18th in sacks / 1st in points/game

2010: 8th in sacks / 6th in points/game

2011: 17th in sacks / 20th in points/game

2012: 25th in sacks / 12th in points/game

2013: 13th in sacks / 19th in points/game

2014: 6th in sacks / 24th in points/game

So in the last 10 years his defenses have ranked in the top 10 for sacks in the NFL only 4 times and top 5 in the NFL only once and he's had some pretty damn good players over the years on defense - HOF type players like Lewis, Reed, Revis, etc.

Just something to consider and keep track of as the season continues to play out. I have no doubt this defense is going to be a top 7ish defense in points/game allowed when the season is over but lets not be surprised if we don't end up in the top 10 in sacks.

He has actually talked about that quite a bit. It is more about pressures which lead to bad throws and potential turnovers

Yup. But aside from his Ravens being 1st in INT's 2x, all his other years his defenses weren't great at getting INT's. And INT's can be quite unpredictable from year to year based on tips and other factors. As a total unit, he's coached some really well-rounded defenses...my main point was maybe we shouldn't go crazy if we don't lead the league in sacks this season.

a $250 million DLthat doesn't get sacks...

No thanks

it depends on when the sacks occur. If they sack on 2nd down and then allow a 3rd down completion it's moot. Rex indicated his defenses try to force incompletions/no gain.that said he's never really had 2 edge rushers like he has now so that could change. But I am one that has never cared about sack totals. We set a record in 2013 and went 6-10. I only care about wins. I do think the DL is worth every penny. Edited by YoloinOhio

The difference is that we have the best DL he has ever worked with. We have been top 5 in both sacks and turnovers the last two years. Why can't we continue to do both?

we can - he was looking at past stats. It might not be the goal to rack up sack stats but I'm sure they will be there. Schwartz's Ds didn't have a reputation for getting a lot of sacks either and we saw what happened when he inherited this group. Edited by YoloinOhio

it depends on when the sacks occur. If they sack on 2nd down and then allow a 3rd down completion it's moot. Rex indicated his defenses try to force incompletions/no gain.that said he's never really had 2 edge rushers like he has now so that could change. But I am one that has never cared about sack totals. We set a record in 2013 and went 6-10. I only care about wins. I do think the DL is worth every penny.

I agree. What was it 2010 when he took the Jets to the AFC Championship game? That year they ranked 8th in sacks and 6th in pts/g against - a good solid overall defense. I expect something like that here.

I agree. What was it 2010 when he took the Jets to the AFC Championship game? That year they ranked 8th in sacks and 6th in pts/g against - a good solid overall defense. I expect something like that here.

6th in points i think is more than just a solid D - id say thats an excellent one, personally.