tsn bills report

nodnarb

Bills Team Report

Feb. 13, 2005

By agreeing to a contract extension last week, WR Eric Moulds secured his future with the Bills while also providing some salary cap relief for the team. His new deal, which runs through 2007, includes a $5 million signing bonus and $1.5 million in base salary. His base was $5.5 million under the old contract in addition to a $1 million roster bonus. More important to the Bills, the new contract drops Moulds' 2005 cap figure from $8.6 million to $5.16 million. Moulds, 31, is still an elite receiver capable of beating double teams with his strength and route running. His work ethic will continue to set an example for the team's young receivers, especially rookie sensation Lee Evans. . . .

The Bills are encouraged by QB J.P. Losman's early arrival for offseason workouts. Organized activities for NFL teams don't officially begin until late March, but Losman wants to get a jump on getting himself ready for next season. Although the team has not publicly discussed Drew Bledsoe's status, all signs point to Losman getting every chance to win the starting job. Losman missed most of last season after breaking his leg in the preseason. He has to get more comfortable in the offense and harness his considerable athletic ability to establish himself as the new leader of the offense.

Hard Truth: With the likelihood of Losman becoming the starting quarterback, there will be more pressure on RB Willis McGahee to exceed his tremendous comeback season. McGahee ran for more than 1,200 yards despite starting just 11 games. His physical running style allows the team to execute more ball control and set up the play-action passing attack. Losman is sure to have some growing pains early on, but he'll have less pressure to carry the offense as long as the running game is productive with McGahee as the focal point.

Inside Dish: There are a few skeptics in the locker room about whether second-year QB J.P. Losman is ready to replace Drew Bledsoe as the leader of the offense. Players don't question Losman's talent. They just wonder if Losman's feel for reading defenses and decision-making can match his physical skills in his first year as a starter. Many of the veterans are hoping the Bills are making the right decision by turning to Losman. After barely missing the playoffs last season, the players don't want to take a step backwards.

Inside Dish: There are a few skeptics in the locker room about whether second-year QB J.P. Losman is ready to replace Drew Bledsoe as the leader of the offense. Players don't question Losman's talent. They just wonder if Losman's feel for reading defenses and decision-making can match his physical skills in his first year as a starter. Many of the veterans are hoping the Bills are making the right decision by turning to Losman. After barely missing the playoffs last season, the players don't want to take a step backwards.

238108[/snapback]

This is my concern as well.

I would keep Drew and address the needs on the OL and skill positions. If Drew does not perform, turn it over to JP for him to work with an offense that has been given more tools to work with.

238108[/snapback]

You mean the actual players on the bills don't necessarily agree with people on here that JPL is an automatic upgrade over Bledsoe?!?! We'll I'll be damned ;)

In all seriousness though we have to move in a new direction eventually. I hope Losman is it. He doesn't strike me as some kid thats too arrogant. He seems to know his role and hopefully we'll get the best he has to give.

I honestly don't expect too much, but with some upgrades to the oline and brining in a te like a freddie jones or bubba franks and a #2 back to give mcgahee a blow from time to time I think we can make a push at the playoffs. Right now however I think with losman as starter we finish somewhere between 5-11 8-8

This is my concern as well.

I would keep Drew and address the needs on the OL and skill positions. If Drew does not perform, turn it over to JP for him to work with an offense that has been given more tools to work with.

238110[/snapback]

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm really not. But how much worse can you get at reading defenses and decision making than DB?

We don't have to keep Drew. We just need a capable (read: good) veteran willing to back him up like Blake. He will struggle; there is no doubt about that!

And yes, I really do think we will become more of a running team now. Willis needs a decent backup who can dish the punishment so he's not overused. This RB doesn't have to be a vet but it would be nice.

People keep saying we can find a veteran to backup JP.......WHO THEN? Give me a name of an available or soon to be available veteran QB, that Bills fans will have faith in, that will come here knowing they are only a backup without a true chance to compete for the starting role.

I feel bad for Drew. He lost one game in 2004 IMHO....the Ravens game. The Jags and Jets road game, Bills were leading late into the 4th qtr but the defense gave up the game winning score. Pittsburgh and NE road game were team losses. NE home game, Henry stumbles on 3rd and 2 deep in NE territory with a hole big enough for a mack truck in front of him. Next play was a comedy of errors but not solely Drew's fault. I'm not too enthused handing over the starting QB to basically a rookie with as close as the Bills DID get to the playoffs with Drew. Bills' fans always find a player and then jump on the "get of town" bandwagon. Many times, those players end up performing very well for their new teams (Glenn Parker, Antowain Smith)

I've never spent to much time fretting over what the Bills should do. The don't tend to listen to me. I tend to look at what I think they might do and try and anticipate how the team might perform in that scenario. Right now it looks like the Bills have made up their minds to move past the Bledsoe era.

OK. I've never been a huge Bledsoe basher, but if this is the case, I'm going to be thinking about Losman's prospects, not worrying about what might have been with Bledsoe. As I've said elsewhere, Losman will have had the benefit of more than a full year of learning the Buffalo system. He will know it cold. It is a simpler system than some in the NFL, and it depends on running more thann 60% of the time. There is enough cap room now, I think for the Bills to continue shoring up the offensive line, and the line ought to continue improving under the tutelage of line guru Jim McNally. There are never any guarantees, but Losman is in close to the ideal situation for a young QB to come in and start.

People keep saying we can find a veteran to backup JP.......WHO THEN? Give me a name of an available or soon to be available veteran QB, that Bills fans will have faith in, that will come here knowing they are only a backup without a true chance to compete for the starting role.

The guy you described probably doesn't exist, nor does he have to.

1) It doesn't matter if the fans have faith in him. We're fans and we don't know squat and we aren't going ot have faith in anybody that hasn't been to the ProBowl for 6 straight years. All that matters is that the Bills management have faith in him.

2) The veteran acquisituon will certainly not have to accept the role of backup to a guy whose never started an NFL game when they sign a contract to play here. Whoever the Bills grab will have a fair opportunity to compete for the starting QB position and if they outplay Losman, they'll get it.

When you consider these facts, the list of potential QB's grows significantly.

Cya

The guy you described probably doesn't exist, nor does he have to.

1) It doesn't matter if the fans have faith in him. We're fans and we don't know squat and we aren't going ot have faith in anybody that hasn't been to the ProBowl for 6 straight years. All that matters is that the Bills management have faith in him.

2) The veteran acquisituon will certainly not have to accept the role of backup to a guy whose never started an NFL game when they sign a contract to play here. Whoever the Bills grab will have a fair opportunity to compete for the starting QB position and if they outplay Losman, they'll get it.

When you consider these facts, the list of potential QB's grows significantly.

Cya

238268[/snapback]

who do you want to see as back up or starter ??

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm really not.  But how much worse can you get at reading defenses and decision making than DB?

238143[/snapback]

This is the kind if hyperbole that has fueled the dump Bledsoe crowd. It is, of course, a ridiculous statement. Bledsoe has started in the NFL for 12 years, and is ranked 7th on the all time completion list. He holds 11 franchise passing records for the Bills. The list of his many other accomplishments indicates that perhaps it would be fairly easy to find a few QBs that are worse at reading defenses and decision-making than he is.

You want Bledsoe gone, fine. You want Losman to start, great. But in making your point, try keeping it just a bit more real.

who do you want to see as back up or starter ??

I've spent the last 3 years lobbying for the Bills to bring Charlie Batch on board and he's now an UFA.

Brad Johnson is likely to be released and would also be a viable candidate.

I'm not a huge fan of his, but John Kitna is a decent player and if the Bengals let Rudi Johnson walk, they may be willing to deal him for Travis Henry.

Tennesse has both McNair and Volek and may be willing to deal one of them.

Kurt Warner may be available as well

There are always veteran QBs available every off-season. The Bills shouldn't have too much difficulty picking up one (or hopefully two) that they like.

Cya

Players don't question Losman's talent. They just wonder if Losman's feel for reading defenses and decision-making can match his physical skills in his first year as a starter.

Reading defenses and decision-making, huh?

Hopefully he can pat the football 7 times and take a hit just like his predecessor.

Please, people. We all realize this season might be a bumpy road. No one (well, except JPera) thinks JP will take this team to 14-2. The thing is, he has to come in and start SOMETIME. The longer we wait, the longer we delay the inevitable.

But, please don't worry about his feel for reading defenses and decision making. Bledsoe was the worst I've seen at both of those.

This is the kind if hyperbole that has fueled the dump Bledsoe crowd.  It is, of course, a ridiculous statement.  Bledsoe has started in the NFL for 12 years, and is ranked 7th on the all time completion list.  He holds 11 franchise passing records for the Bills.  The list of his many other accomplishments indicates that perhaps it would be fairly easy to find a few QBs that are worse at reading defenses and decision-making than he is.

You want Bledsoe gone, fine.  You want Losman to start, great.  But in making your point, try keeping it just a bit more real.

238272[/snapback]

I am trying to keep it real. I watched a whole season of football and saw about 12 complete passes to the middle part of the field. I saw him panic in several situations and send the ball right to the other team (I realize that other qbs do this at times, but not with the frequency).

Bledsoe has one strong point as a qb and that is a strong arm. He cannot get rid of the ball quickly enough to hit slants and similar quick hitting plays and an offense without those weapons becomes hindered. He is slow of foot.

I have nothing against DB whatsoever and am not (yet) a fan of JPL. I honestly see no hope for the Bills winning deep in the playoffs with DB. It is too easy to design a defense against him.

The point of the NFL is to win the SB. I can't see Drew doing that.

Bills Team Report

They just wonder if Losman's feel for reading defenses and decision-making can match his physical skills...

238108[/snapback]

Hello!? Were they wearing blindfolds when Drew was behind center? Can't the exact same concerns be raised about HIM????

BLEDSOE MUST STAY!

Let's face it no one wants the Bills to take another giant step backwards. Bledsoe looked great when the offensive game plan had him taking some deep shots, the payoff was well worth the occassional interception, and got Lee Evans involved (see the Seattle game.) With a slightly less conservative game plan (see the Pittsburgh game) and better protection Bledsoe is still the man. Dose anyone really doubt that Bledsoe was incapable of leading the Patriots like brady? If I had that kind of time in the pocket, I could play well enough not to lose in New england as well.

RB Willis McGahee to exceed his tremendous comeback season. McGahee ran for more than 1,200 yards despite starting just 11 games.

238108[/snapback]

for some reason, i didnt think he got that many yards above 1000... ;)

1,200 yards with 11 starts looks DAMN GOOD!!!!

imagin what he can do with a probowl LT.... :blink:

BLEDSOE MUST STAY!

Dose anyone really doubt that Bledsoe was incapable of leading the Patriots like brady? 

238422[/snapback]

Funny how New England magically turned things around as soon as Brady replaced the injured Bledsoe. Must have been one of those coincidences?

It's over for Bledsoe in Buffalo. If you're that enamored with Bledsoe, have fun following his new team. If you're still a Bills fan, it's time to move on.

You actually can get much worse than Drew (remember 3-13 with RJ the year before Drew). I hope JP is better by the coaches putting him in better positions, roll outs, bootlegs etc.. Also, because of his mobility it makes teams more hesitant to bring all out blitzes like they could do against Bledsoe. I just hope JP is studying his tail off and watching film constantly this offseason. Huge risk by the Bills, let's hope it pans out.