Cost difference of cutting/trading a QB - only 1.35m

VABills

Just to make sure things are clear and accurate.

Cassel already earned a 500K bonus. That's his, it counts against the cap. If we cut/trade him he would count as a 4.15 million dollar savings.

EJ Manual if traded would save 1.2 million this year and 1.6 next year. That's a savings of 2.8 million.

On top of that is EJ is cut and then signed by another team, EJ doesn't double dip. Any contract from another team would reduce the Bills outlay and also their cap hit.

So the difference is only 1.35 million and wouldn't be a deciding factor. The rumor is the front office want to keep EJ, the coaches want Cassel. Just like Whaley wanted Ej to start, and Pegs wanted Fred to stay, I think in the end the coaches probably win the battle.

EJ showed a lot in pre-season and got a lot better. Still has to show more consistency and ability to run the offense for a full 60 minutes.

Edited by VABills

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel already earned a 500K bonus. That's his, it counts against the cap. If we cut/trade him he would count as a 4.15 million dollar savings.

EJ Manual if traded would save 1.2 million this year and 1.6 next year. That's a savings of 2.8 million.

On top of that is EJ is cut and then signed by another team, EJ doesn't double dip. Any contract from another team would reduce the Bills outlay and also their cap hit.

So the difference is only 1.35 million and wouldn't be a deciding factor. The rumor is the front office want to keep EJ, the coaches want Cassel. Just like Walley wanted Ej to start, and Pegs wanted Fred to stay, I think in the end the coaches probably win the battle.

EJ showed a lot in pre-season and got a lot better. Still has to show more consistency and ability to run the offense for a full 60 minutes.

Whaley wanted EJ to start?

So even though the numbers don't justify your argument...you wanted to start a thread to tell us that EJ should be cut/traded.

Okay. :rolleyes:

No I think both offer value. The point was that everyone thinks cutting Cassel saves 5 million. It doesn't and the cost difference is minimal on cutting or trading either. My point was the money/cap space argument is a stupid one for keeping one over the other.

No I think both offer value. The point was that everyone thinks cutting Cassel saves 5 million. It doesn't and the cost difference is minimal on cutting or trading either. My point was the money/cap space argument is a stupid one for keeping one over the other.

Yes, people think that cutting Cassel will save us money because it will. The cost difference is not minimal, your own post explains that.

Cut Cassel now - we need all the cap space we can get. We need approximately 20 million to resign MD, CG, SG and NB.

MD now counts 8 mil. He will get 11 mil. CG is at 1.5 Mil and will get 8 mil at least. SG is at 3.8 mil and will get 9-10 mil. NB is at 1.6 mil and will get at least 5 mil. We are going nowhere with Cassel - and must resign our guys.

Does EJ have a 5th year option? Like RG3 did? Just curious as that may play into whether we keep, or make him more viable in a trade. I don't know so asking the question here.

Spotrac.com says 4 year contract. I don't see a 5th year option.

Edited by LeGOATski

usually all high drafted rookies have the 5th year option

All first rounders have a 5th year option. The cost of that options differs based on where they were drafted 1-10,11-32

The way it works is that all players drafted in the 1st round are split into 2 groups based on draft order (1-10, 11-32) and a value based on the 3rd through 25th highest salaries of the players respective position is used to determine the 5th year option value.
Edited by The Wiz

Not sure of the cap situation but are you comparing 2 EJ years to one Cassel year? If you keep Cassel over EJ, unless the bills cut him off decide not to resign him at the end of the year, he won't be playing for free next year.

In my uneducated opinion it makes sense to pay EJ for two years because I think he is a very decent backup QB vs 2 years of a Cassel contract or a year of Cassel and a 2nd year of some other QB. I'm sure the Bills could use the money elsewhere.

So the difference is only 1.35 million and wouldn't be a deciding factor. The rumor is the front office want to keep EJ, the coaches want Cassel. Just like Whaley wanted Ej to start, and Pegs wanted Fred to stay, I think in the end the coaches probably win the battle.

Not to rain on your parade. Your numbers may be right for savings, but your logic is flawed.

Yes, Cutting EJ will save 2.8 million over 2 years.

Cutting Cassel will save 4.15 million for 2015 and additionally 4.15 will be available for 2016 as it is not tied to anything

So:

If you cut EJ and keep Cassel this year and next year at ~3 Mil; its a savings of 3.95 Million over 2 years.

If you cut EJ, and keep Cassel just for this year, its a savings of 6.95 Million over 2 years (Minus whatever you have to pay a backup QB...~1-3 MIL)

So say savings of 4.95 Mil (assuming 2 Mil for the year for backup QB)

If you cut Cassel, but keep EJ, its a savings of 8.3 Million over 2 years

Cutting Cassel is a 3+ Million better option from my point of view.