Your top 5 Bills beat reporters

Jobu

How about the top five Bills' reporters who should be beaten? :rolleyes:

That is a great idea. Here is my list of reporters which are worthy of a beating.

1. Jerry Sullivan

2. Tim Graham

3. Mike Shopp

4. Howard Simon

5. Mike Rodak / ESPN as a whole

That is a great idea. Here is my list of reporters which are worthy of a beating.

1. Jerry Sullivan

2. Tim Graham

3. Mike Shopp

4. Howard Simon

5. Mike Rodak / ESPN as a whole

To be fair, Schoop and Simon are not reporters, they're talk radio hosts. And while Schoop can be smarmy, Simon is a good host.

Graham, Wawrow, Dunne, Capacchio, and Maiorana.

Capacchio is the only one in this group that comes across as too much of a fan, but I think he does his best to put that to the side.

The others are pretty independent and harsh when necessary. Though Dunne is so new it's unclear whether he will take the hard line at times, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Sullivan serves his purpose. This team needs critics, but it can get repetitious.

I prefer the News coverage to anything. Except for Sully. I like Graham, Vic, Dunne.

Really not a fan of Sal C. or Joe B.

Don't hate Rodak like everyone else. Like Fairburn.

National guys who seem to know our team: Ross Tucker, Kevin Connors, Polian, and Breer.

I really like Fairburn, although he did start to suffer a tiny bit from Bills beat write snark disease this camp. He actually tries to write articles with a fully developed concept instead of just regurgitated blurbs. And on slow days can tell he racks his brain to come up with different ideas to write about

Its actually hard for me to keep track of who said what to whom, but it is becoming clear which opinions offered were basically fact free:

1. Any predictions that there was some huge difference between which QB was a more likely #1.

The real results ended up being:

A. Tyrod by a nose mostly due to his explosiveness. Its clear that Ryan puts a lot of stock in creating match-up problems for opposing DCs. He demonstrated a strong interest in Harvin because he felt from personal experience he could handle him and because a unit of Watkins/Harvin, or add Woods is hard for opponents to match-up with.

He then surprisingly got a chance at McCoy as an RB who fit well with a Roman run early/often O. Overall, the match-up demanded by McCoy is at least 7 and probably 8 in the box as a base. If the D does this they are forced to single the WRs.

He then loves TT who really demands a spy and the match-up problems for a DC are huge.

Beat reporters who simply ignored Ryan's expressed interests and actions and instead operated from a standpoint that it was Cassel's job to lose simply were bad beat reporters.

B. Many loud fans and media hacks led by WGR clearly had turned on EJ and did bad beat reporting by mindlessly presenting Cassel as the it was his job to lose. It was simply foolish beat reporting in that Cassel clearly had a depth chart advantage but it was not his job to los he simply had a slight advantage but STILL needed to win the job. A good beat reporter would have focused on the FACT that while Cassel never made obvious mistakes he NEVER showed anything tangible showings certainly in games (zero TD passes and in fact zero TDs for a Cassel led O in the exhibition games).

There was even some beat reporting that EJ could/should read the writing on the wall. In fact, the only real world writing was that Cassel had done nothing tangible to TAKE the #1 job. In fact, the only facts on the ground after two games was TT had shown evidence of his explosiveness and EJ had thrown a beautiful bomb for a TD in game 1 and EJ had thrown for not one but two scoring passes to pull out a win in game 2.

Good beat reporting would have pointed out going into game 3 that the FACTs were Cassel had done nothing in either practice or in the exhibition games to TAKE the job that was certainly there for him to TAKE but Ryan never said it was his to lose Good beat reporting after seeing NO QB TAKE the #1 QB job. However, TT had shown enough in practice and in game 1 and 2 that he might TAKE the job with a positive performance. He did that in game 3.

As far as EJ, the only writing on the wall was that his performance in games 1 and 2 were good but not good enough. He in FACT led the team to 3 TDs in his brief appearances in game 3. However. as one TD was really good hand-offs but the now cut Fgreddy' legs and vision led to one EJ led TD and the other 2 were to EJs credit, only one came from a great read and good pass by EJ.

Good beat reporting now would:

1. Focus on the story that the QB fixation of many fans and media were actually secondary to:

A. The role of injuries in hamstringing this O but the fact the O was quite effective without a lot of skill players

B. If anything needed good beat reporting it actually would have been more focus on the OL play

C. The QB story actually is why were all three QBs in the game but if there is writing on the wall for anyone it is Cassel. Good beat reporting would actually focus on the FACT Ryan says he wants to keep all three and actually a thinking beat reporter would observe that IF the Bills cut any of these three before game 2 week, that Belicheat would quite likely to sign this QB and pump them for a recitation of the Bills playbook and tendencies.

Instead, all we have gotten from the Bills reporters are really embarrassingly bad conclusions being thrown out by WGR and Carucci that somehow game 3 performances meant Cassel maintained an inside track for the #1 QB job.

I really have not seen much of import or added to fan knowledge from ANY Bills beat reporter this pre-season. If any thing fans who read WGR/Carucci opinions or writing on the wall blathering were made stupider by Bills beat reporting than smarter by insights us outsiders can't see.