Public worker getting paid for not working

TH3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/01/us-usa-gaymarriage-kentucky-idUSKCN0R13S220150901

Figgered most of you would be all over this typical public worker - not working, can't be fired, making $80k plus bennies.....

Your terrible thread title, and intentionally mocking and inflammatory post aside, this is actually the first I'd heard of this.

If this were a private business which she owned, I would defend her, but as an employee of a the government, she should be fired. The government, since we all own it collectively, must not ever be in the business of discriminating, otherwise justice breaks down.

Likewise, if she were an employee of a private company, and the private company opposed her position, she should be fired if that's what the company desired.

To the rest of your point, this is one of the major problems with public sector unions.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Your terrible thread title, and intentionally mocking and inflammatory post aside, this is actually the first I'd heard of this.

If this were a private business which she owned, I would defend her, but as an employee of a the government, she should be fired. The government, since we all own it collectively, must not ever be in the business of discriminating, otherwise justice breaks down.

Likewise, if she were an employee of a private company, and the private company opposed her position, she should be fired if that's what the company desired.

To the rest of your point, this is one of the major problems with public sector unions.

She's elected, thus can't be fired.

Plus, if she could be and were fired, she's have a good case for religious discrimination. Labor regulations require an employer to make "reasonable accommodations" for religious beliefs. And while firing someone for not doing their job is okay; firing someone for not doing their job because of a religious objection to part of it, without attempting to provide accommodation, would be discrimination.

Note, too, that most of the stories are inaccurate. She's not refusing to issue marriage licenses to just gays. She's refusing to issue them to anybody, She's not actually discriminating - she's giving everyone equal treatment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/01/us-usa-gaymarriage-kentucky-idUSKCN0R13S220150901

Figgered most of you would be all over this typical public worker - not working, can't be fired, making $80k plus bennies.....

The fact that she's making $80K+ for that job in Kentucky in bad enough.

But it's the media's need to make a celebrity of her that is really infuriating.

The fact that she's making $80K+ for that job in Kentucky in bad enough.

But it's the media's need to make a celebrity of her that is really infuriating.

You must admit she is perfect to figurehead the oppression. She's a plain jane middle aged woman wearing a dress that she likely bought from KMart or Walmart and probably flats from Payless. She's not dressed fancy, like you'd figure. She looks very domesticated and like a housewife, not to mention has a demeanor displayed in these videos as quiet and withheld.

She is the perfect face for what is going on. She is the perfect victim to the oppressors. The perfect bully to be bullied by the anti-bullies.

She has no chance, and I am sure people are trying to get her removed from office by executive order, etc.

What a false title to your OP. Why didn't you just link the Peter Pan pic instead? It would be about as pertinent to your title.

She's elected, thus can't be fired.

Plus, if she could be and were fired, she's have a good case for religious discrimination. Labor regulations require an employer to make "reasonable accommodations" for religious beliefs. And while firing someone for not doing their job is okay; firing someone for not doing their job because of a religious objection to part of it, without attempting to provide accommodation, would be discrimination.

Note, too, that most of the stories are inaccurate. She's not refusing to issue marriage licenses to just gays. She's refusing to issue them to anybody, She's not actually discriminating - she's giving everyone equal treatment.

Huh, after reading that article I had no idea she was elected.

Well color me shocked... Who says conservatives play it safe!

Interesting points DC...

Can't they just get somebody else to issue the license to the gay couples? OR does she have to sign every single one in the county. Can't a deputy/assistant have the same ability?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You must admit she is perfect to figurehead the oppression. She's a plain jane middle aged woman wearing a dress that she likely bought from KMart or Walmart and probably flats from Payless. She's not dressed fancy, like you'd figure. She looks very domesticated and like a housewife, not to mention has a demeanor displayed in these videos as quiet and withheld.

She is the perfect face for what is going on. She is the perfect victim to the oppressors. The perfect bully to be bullied by the anti-bullies.

She has no chance, and I am sure people are trying to get her removed from office by executive order, etc.

Of course she is. And that's all part of what's so annoying. It's all framed like a live action play just for our amusement and so we can post "I'm outraged at this!!" on Facebook. Gimmie a !@#$ing break. So some ignorant hick refuses to perform her lawful duty. Can that really not be handled at the local level, without an ongoing national spotlight?

Are thousands of County Clerks conspiring to systematically deny gay rights? Are gays are being treated like blacks trying to register to vote in Mississippi in the early 60s? Is there going to be a great "victory" when this women is eventually booted from her job? Does this need to be extrapolated into some global political commentary? No. It's just another stupid story of the day to give the idiots something to write about to get people all worked up.

btw, #KONY2012!!!

Edited by KD in CT

Hey, the present administration doesn't follow the law, and nothing happens to them.............

Justice Scalia explains why Kim Davis should issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples or find a new job.

Hillary ignores the law. She hasn’t been charged.

And, hey, Kim Davis is an elected Democrat, so why bother following the law?

Edited by B-Man

Hey, the present administration doesn't follow the law, and nothing happens to them.............

Justice Scalia explains why Kim Davis should issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples or find a new job.

Hillary ignores the law. She hasn’t been charged.

And, hey, Kim Davis is an elected Democrat, so why bother following the law?

I completely agree with Scalia.

I also prefer your justification to Davis'. "Other elected officials follow the laws selectively. Why shouldn't I? I have a phone and a pen..."

What takes precedent, Church or State?

Break the laws of your religion or break the laws of your country. Can't somebody else issue the license in their name. ??

She probably does selectively break the laws of her religion (ie: like "Cafeteria Catholics", etc...). So what is the big deal here?

;

The State says Church does.

Aaaaand jailed for contempt. Well, let's see how strongly she believes in the pen...

As well she should be. The legal responsibilities of the job are not supposed to be a buffet you can pick and choose from.

Well color me shocked... Who says conservatives play it safe!

Interesting points DC...

Can't they just get somebody else to issue the license to the gay couples? OR does she have to sign every single one in the county. Can't a deputy/assistant have the same ability?

Depends on the local and state law, I'd guess. If the law explicitly says the town clerk has to sign, probably not.

Though that would mean no license are being issued currently, since she's in jail.

They didn't want her thrown in jail... Didn't they want fines? But, the judge threw her in jail. Like that will have any effect on a true religious zealot (if she really is one)? Wouldn't jail just galvanize their ideals even more. If it was really important to me, I would rot in there. 3 hots and a cot.

When's the next election? Maybe she would just wait it out. Something this major and having to put your name on a license going against your God... Isn't that major? Don't the laws of God come first over country?

I wonder if she will crack... I hope she doesn't.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois