Stock Market Sell Off--how low will it go...

Just a few random thoughts. Looks like the market is in for another beating today as the selling continues. I began investing five years ago and it's been all up hill till now, but I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. '87, 2000, 2007...2015? I'm not joining the panic crowd, I'm just holding, reinvesting dividends and buying cheap as the money becomes available. Just wondering how this is going to play out. Not surprising we have trouble out of China. "Free markets" in a dictatorship/oligarchy in a country so big and important to the world economy. That just seems like a problem waiting to happen, but who knows.

Just thought there should be a thread on this major event

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eerily similar to final year of Bush's 8 year term

Except for being completely different. Other than that, the similarities are startling. :rolleyes:

Friday was bad, today looks worse!

Today looks great.

Of course, I only need the market to move to make money. I don't care which direction.

Shouldn't this be in the Obamanomics thread?

You'll have to explain to me why it should be. Trouble in the Chinese market belongs in a thread about Obama's economic policies? Love to see how you explain that one!

The market's gone down? Seriously, I had no idea. Haven't invested in it since I lost my shirt in the last crash.

Are you being serious? If so, what did you do, sell when they were low? Can you calculate what your stocks would be worth today if you held onto them?

You'll have to explain to me why it should be. Trouble in the Chinese market belongs in a thread about Obama's economic policies? Love to see how you explain that one!

Because the promotion of alternative energy lessens the positive impact of low oil prices on the US economy. That's all I've got.

Seriously, thought...I was wondering this morning if lower oil prices have as significant an impact on the economy as they did even 15-20 years ago, because of increased use of alternative energy. It's probably minor...but I've never seen it quantified.

Because the promotion of alternative energy lessens the positive impact of low oil prices on the US economy. That's all I've got.

Seriously, thought...I was wondering this morning if lower oil prices have as significant an impact on the economy as they did even 15-20 years ago, because of increased use of alternative energy. It's probably minor...but I've never seen it quantified.

I'd say still minor, but growing quickly. What did you mean by "impact"? Positive or negative? It was a learning experience to me that lower oil prices had such a negative impact on the economy by causing so much uncertainty in financial markets.

Oh I was just thinking that a certain poster who shall remain nameless was giving credit to Obama when the market was going up. So I just figured he should get the credit when it goes down too.

Oh I was just thinking that a certain poster who shall remain nameless was giving credit to Obama when the market was going up. So I just figured he should get the credit when it goes down too.

Good answer!

I'd just reply, honestly, that my pointing out the stock market success was in reply to all the Conservatives screaming to high heaven that "Obama's economy" was not recovering quickly enough to their liking from the recession he inherited from a previous administration. So there we go. President's are not Gods, or "creators"

US economy or the global economy? :)

In reality, it doesn't have as big of an impact in what's causing the current correction. Today's global economy rests on the lukewarm US recovery and expectation that China will continue to fire on all 8 cylinders and hopefully transitions more of its output to internal consumption, instead of being a contract manufacturer for the rest of the world.

Now that the declawed tiger is being exposed, the worry is that there's not enough slack in the world economies to pick up the goods that were expected to be consumed by China. US definitely doesn't have the capacity.

So now, everyone is panicking. Low oil prices won't do much to correct the fundamentals. Some people think oil could go to the marginal production rate in the $20s for a short time. But that would be a bad thing.

Good answer!

I'd just reply, honestly, that my pointing out the stock market success was in reply to all the Conservatives screaming to high heaven that "Obama's economy" was not recovering quickly enough to their liking from the recession he inherited from a previous administration. So there we go. President's are not Gods, or "creators"

If they are not creators why were you pointing to the stock market increases as a sign that the "Obama economy" was recovering?

If they are not creators why were you pointing to the stock market increases as a sign that the "Obama economy" was recovering?

Did you read what I wrote? It was an answer to criticism that the economy was bad, and I was showing that part of it was doing swell. That's all