Birthright Citizenship---Is It Time To Deep Six It?

3rdnlng

"Creator" also doesn't refer to creating rights, in the context. The "Creator" creates people; those people are endowed with rights when they are created. Rights are therefore integral to the nature of being, and not created.

Yeah, that's a better way of saying it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Radical Republicans in Congress wrote the 14th Amendment. Congress created it, then the states ratified. You are talking in circles again.

All of which is irrelevant to any point you've made on the topic. Congress has been granted the power to legislate the rules of naturalization. That power was limited by the 14th, but all matters not mandated or prohibited by the 14th are still subject to Congressional discretion. The matter of birthright citizenship for the offspring of illegals is not accounted for by the 14th, and as such, the matter is left to Congress. Thus far Congress has chosen to recognize citizenship for anchor babies, but there's nothing in the constitution that prevents it from changing that policy.

I'm sure this has all gone over your head, but then I didn't write it for your benefit. I wrote it for anyone else who genuinely wanted to understand it.

All of which is irrelevant to any point you've made on the topic. Congress has been granted the power to legislate the rules of naturalization. That power was limited by the 14th, but all matters not mandated or prohibited by the 14th are still subject to Congressional discretion. The matter of birthright citizenship for the offspring of illegals is not accounted for by the 14th, and as such, the matter is left to Congress. Thus far Congress has chosen to recognize citizenship for anchor babies, but there's nothing in the constitution that prevents it from changing that policy.

I'm sure this has all gone over your head, but then I didn't write it for your benefit. I wrote it for anyone else who genuinely wanted to understand it.

I can't believe that the clear and direct analysis for the concept of birthright/14th amendment is not found in the consensus of constitutional scholars on both sides of the aisle...but here right on PPP. I would expect that the "Economist" will be contacting you shortly to clear this up.

I can't believe that the clear and direct analysis for the concept of birthright/14th amendment is not found in the consensus of constitutional scholars on both sides of the aisle...but here right on PPP. I would expect that the "Economist" will be contacting you shortly to clear this up.

A deference to authority argument? Is that the best you got?

BTW, who are the brilliant constitutional scholars you're citing, and could you summarize the analysis of a few of them?

Let's hear it! Who is this creator of our rights then? Jack Frost?

The concept of Natural Rights is that they are an inherent and inalienable condition of being human; and are not merely privileges bestowed by government, and modified by government as became convenient.

That inherent nature is the bedrock upon which the whole concept of human rights abuses rests. If rights come from government, then there can be no such thing as human rights abuses.

• United Kingdom: Since 1 January 1983, at least one parent must be a British citizen or be legally "settled" in the country.
  • Ireland: On 1 January 2005, the law was amended to require that at least one of the parents be an Irish citizen; a British citizen; a child of a resident with a permanent right to reside in Ireland; or be a child of a legal resident residing three of the last four years in the country (excluding students and asylum seekers).
  • Germany: children born on or after 1 January 2000 to non-German parents acquire German citizenship at birth if at least one parent has a permanent residence permit (and had this status for at least three years) and the parent was residing in Germany for at least eight years. Under the current law, which restricts dual citizenship, children of non-EU and non-Swiss citizens must usually choose between German and foreign citizenship when they are 23 years old ("Optionspflicht" = the duty to choose one citizenship). Failing to make a choice can result in the loss of the German citizenship.
  • France: Children born in France (including overseas territories) to at least one parent who is also born in France automatically acquire French citizenship at birth. Children born to foreign parents may request citizenship depending on their age and length of residence.
  • Australia: Since 20 August 1986, a person born in Australia acquires Australian citizenship by birth only if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident or upon the 10th birthday of the child regardless of their parent's citizenship status.

... from the cited work in my previous post.