Small trucks

LeGOATski

I know exactly where to look and where NOT to look.

I've always been a fan of those Mini Coopers and their spacious cabins.

Give me one with the off-road package...

maxresdefault.jpg

That is the pre-2014, not the new F56... That's the R56 from the previous generation. If they would have taken the newer F56, it would be even more spacious. BMW/MINI cheated w/the new F56 and added slightly on the length and the width... BUT you can't notice it too much with the styling that it is a much bigger ride. The MINI hardtops (R53/R56/F56) are going the Porsche 911 route... Creeping up w/every subsequent generation.

Easy way to tell the diff from all previous gens? Fuel door is on the driver side... New gen F56 have it on the passenger side.

Most of today's "crossovers" are not on truck platforms and have FWD. They share platforms with cars. CX5s, Escapes, Tucsons, etc. The Jeep is in that truck-based SUV category with the Xterra, Pathfinder, Explorer, 4Runner, Tahoe, etc.

If you're looking for a RWD-based 4x4 system, you have to pay more for a bigger SUV...or get a less expensive Jeep....or a small truck. :)

Yep... My bad. The first to use the "crossover" moniker was the Chrysler Pacifica. I had a 2006... That was a truck platform... BUT it's own specific vehicle platform: "CS" platform. Probably why Chrysler dumped it for the Journey and multiple vehicle platform. The CS was only for the Pacifica vehicle. On my title/reg it was listed as "Chrysler Truck."

Along with the OP, I'm shopping the truck segment now. I've test driven all of them - Colorados, Tacomas, Frontiers, Silverados, Sierras, F-150s, Rams, Titans, Tundras, Avalanches. I prefer a Crew Cab so they've all been the Crew Cab versions.

In regards to the mid-size - I think the Colorado is overpriced and there aren't a lot of rebates. For what you'll pay, and as long as you'd be ok with a Silverado, just get a Silverado. I'm not a fan of used Colorados with that wonky I5 engine.

Dealers are discounting 2015 Tacomas ahead of the new 2016s good but they are misers with the used products.

Frontiers are pretty good value because they are discounting heavy before their 2016s as well. You'll get them for less than a Tacoma but they are plagued by frame rust issues like the Silverados. You have to watch out for those.

The big game change will be if the US stops enforcing the chicken tax on foreign made trucks. If that happens, you'd see the Volkswagen Amarok over here probably, along with the new Ford Ranger. It's been rumored for years too that Jeep may bring a Comanche type truck back to the market.

The big game change will be if the US stops enforcing the chicken tax on foreign made trucks. If that happens, you'd see the Volkswagen Amarok over here probably, along with the new Ford Ranger. It's been rumored for years too that Jeep may bring a Comanche type truck back to the market.

A truck from Jeep would be cool. I'm assuming it'd be a Grand Cherokee with truck bed...and a Dodge Dakota developed alongside that.

Along with the OP, I'm shopping the truck segment now. I've test driven all of them - Colorados, Tacomas, Frontiers, Silverados, Sierras, F-150s, Rams, Titans, Tundras, Avalanches. I prefer a Crew Cab so they've all been the Crew Cab versions.

In regards to the mid-size - I think the Colorado is overpriced and there aren't a lot of rebates. For what you'll pay, and as long as you'd be ok with a Silverado, just get a Silverado. I'm not a fan of used Colorados with that wonky I5 engine.

Dealers are discounting 2015 Tacomas ahead of the new 2016s good but they are misers with the used products.

Frontiers are pretty good value because they are discounting heavy before their 2016s as well. You'll get them for less than a Tacoma but they are plagued by frame rust issues like the Silverados. You have to watch out for those.

So, regardless of price, what truck have you liked the best?

I'm not even considering the current Tacomas and Frontiers. They're outdated.

On a side note, the 2016 Tacomas seem to be cost-cutting in obvious areas. Drum brakes in the rear? They'll do the job, but it's just so out-of-place these days...

Jeep used to make the J-Truck and MJ Comanche. You can turn the Wranglers into a pick-up w/a kit. Wrangler TJ Unlimited 2004-2006... Is the same wheelbase as the CJ-8, Scramblers... Early 1980's Scramblers bring big money!

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Jeep-two-letter-designation-Jeep-ZJ-WJ-WK-TJ-YJ-CJ-KJ-/10000000004561075/g.html

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

At one point I owned a Ford Ranger....I was amazed at how crap the gas mileage was in it

Yeah and small trucks are still a little disappointing in that regard.

That's the diesel's biggest selling point to the general public, I think.

I was interested to see how good the MPG was with the new Tacoma's V6, but it turns out to be I think 2 mpg less than the Colorado's more powerful V6 (19 city/27 hwy). Kinda disappointing. Both use a 6-speed auto, I think.

You could make an S-10 into a pretty wicked ride with the right motor.

A Chevy small block in the RWD S-10, right? That's a stop-light sleeper...

Unless you do this...

10163570_201261174122.jpg

They are kinda like a "brick on 4 wheels." Also have a frame, unlike the unibody cars, etc... So weight is probably an issue that shoot mpg to poo. ?? The JK Wranglers 2007+ did get away from the standard Jeep "body tub"... Mileage went up. The JK's are "body on panel" now. Of course moving away from the venerable, 4.0L, cast iron I-6 to the aluminum V-6 does help mpg. BUT it has almost been 10 years since the first JK, I wonder how the engines will hold up after 200,000 miles or so. The old ones are sorta indestructible, dodn't even need a new timing chain until complete over haul @ 1/4 million miles.

I shifted into a Ram 1500 Big Horn last year. Thing has more room in it than my first studio apartment, is twice as comfortable, and I can't recall ever driving something I enjoy as much as I enjoy driving this truck.

Driving a smaller version would never work for me. It'd be like ordering a Happy Meal for lunch.

They're coming back in force. GM brought back the Colorado and Canyon last year. Toyota has reinvented the Tacoma, coming out this fall. Nissan is updating the Frontier soon.

This segment has been pretty dead for about decade, but the new options are looking nice.

Anyone here have a Colorado/Canyon?

What's the TBD mindset on small trucks?

They are foolish... Prices are close to the full size, fuel mileage is comparable.... I think they make then for people with small garage doors only