Small trucks

LeGOATski

They're coming back in force. GM brought back the Colorado and Canyon last year. Toyota has reinvented the Tacoma, coming out this fall. Nissan is updating the Frontier soon.

This segment has been pretty dead for about decade, but the new options are looking nice.

Anyone here have a Colorado/Canyon?

What's the TBD mindset on small trucks?

Well if you drive a big truck, we all know what that means. So what does driving a small truck say?

guys with small trucks have big dings. Fact.

Edit: my truck is so small, it's hard to get into.

Super edit: Im just kidding. I dont even have a truck right now. My first ever vehicle when I was 17 was a 1986 Mazda b2000. that was a small truck. Probably smaller than the ranger.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

guys with small trucks have big dings. Fact.

Edit: my truck is so small, it's hard to get into.

Congratulations.

I test drove a Colorado and a Tacoma a couple months ago. Ended up buying an SUV, Nissan Rogue. But I did like the Colorado.

Also heard Ford is bringing back the Ranger

Ford and Dodge will probably bring back theirs now. Probably a bit down the road. I think GM did a good thing by reigniting the segment.

And diesels are coming into the fold with their great fuel economy. They make it the most expensive trim, though.

FCOL, put the diesel in the base model. It works for the rest of the world. Why can't it work in the US? Honest question.

I got all you pencil d**ks beat... I drive both an El Camnio and Ranchero! Someday I hope to get a Subaru Brat too...

:-P :-P

Congratulations.

Ford and Dodge will probably bring back theirs now. Probably a bit down the road. I think GM did a good thing by reigniting the segment.

And diesels are coming into the fold with their great fuel economy. They make it the most expensive trim, though.

FCOL, put the diesel in the base model. It works for the rest of the world. Why can't it work in the US? Honest question.

Because the enviros say they (diesel) are dirty. Anyway, how many wiseguys would figure out dyed off road diesel gets around the tax issue? Heck, how many people still heat with oil, I guess that would work? Probably wreck your warranty though... But just wait till they get old. What I am saying is many, many diesels on the road would probably be not a good thing?

I got all you pencil d**ks beat... I drive both an El Camnio and Ranchero! Someday I hope to get a Subaru Brat too...

:-P :-P

Because the enviros say they (diesel) are dirty. Anyway, how many wiseguys would figure out dyed off road diesel gets around the tax issue? Heck, how many people still heat with oil, I guess that would work? Probably wreck your warranty though... But just wait till they get old. What I am saying is many, many diesels on the road would probably be not a good thing?

Are you saying diesels are dirty?

In urban areas, there are no off-road diesel pumps. At least, I've never seen one.

Small trucks meh. F150 or bigger please.

May as well get a crossover of some kind. With you on the F150! Back in a previous life we had a couple Ford Rangers we used for parts pick up around town and shuttling between shops. They were handy for that.

Edited by Dante

No real practical use. May as well get a crossover of some kind. With you on the F150!

Trucks are more practical than crossovers. I've owned both.

I don't need a big truck for work, but I'm an outdoorsy guy (camping, fishing, biking, etc), so I need something that can carry that crap.

Small trucks are the weekend warriors. Crossovers be damned.

And you can't get a crossover with a 300hp V6 and RWD...

Are you saying diesels are dirty?

In urban areas, there are no off-road diesel pumps. At least, I've never seen one.

My brother in law still heats with heating oil in the Boston area. Isn't heating oil the same as diesel?

Who's saying get it from a pump?

"Off road Diesel #2 and Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil # 2 apparently differ only in the tax applied at the time of sale. Both are dyed red. They differ from standard Road Diesel #2 in that road tax has been applied, no red dye has been added, and there is a specification regarding ash and/or sulphur content."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Well if you drive a big truck, we all know what that means. So what does driving a small truck say?

yeah, my 2006 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel 4WD FX4 Lariat SRW 8' bed 4 door means...wait, what?

Or my '93 s10? Or '83 K10?

Trucks don't mean anything

Edited by Boyst62

Trucks don't mean anything

You can say that again...

I drive a 2014 MINI Cooper S (F56)... Top speed is just under 150 miles per hour, 0-60 in just over 6 seconds, Twin-Power Turbo (w/overboost) that has about 230 pounds of torque. Coolest feature, IMO, is "rev matching"... Don't have to toe-heel (which I am not really sure you can w/the way the pedals are set up... More like toe-arch) to match your revs when downshifting.

I can set the bolster sport seat all the way back and my 6'3" frame can't even reach the clutch and gas... But my d**k can! Such a small little tuner for such a big d**k (both me and my Johnson)!

:-) :-P

Best part? On those long drives to BFLO, it gets almost 40 mpg... w/an 11 gallon tank. :-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Trucks are more practical than crossovers. I've owned both.

I don't need a big truck for work, but I'm an outdoorsy guy (camping, fishing, biking, etc), so I need something that can carry that crap.

Small trucks are the weekend warriors. Crossovers be damned.And you can't get a crossover with a 300hp V6 and RWD...

you just don't know where to look, I promise

A rwd crossover w/a V-6. Why would they even make that. Now, an awd crossover w/a V-6 is what a crossover is meant to be... Tons out there, everybody make one of those. rwd? What, rally up a Crown Vic? Huh?

rwd w/v-6... ?? The original SUV/SAV/crossover/small vehicle= Jeep (CJ/YJ/TJ/JK) short wheel base vehicle.

I get the crossover thing... Look like a car, but on a truck platform, ride high, etc.... 1982 AMC Eagle is what you are looking for? :-/

Now... One of thee original "crossovers"... 1982 AMC Eagle SX4--

http://jalopnik.com/setsession?r=http%3A%2F%2Fjalopnik.com%2Ffor-4-900-this-1982-amc-eagle-sx-4-looks-ready-to-fly-1692359255&sessionId=21bd0e48-e019-456b-a78a-67c05e2b9659

Oops... That SX4 is the inline, not V.

A rwd crossover w/a V-6. Why would they even make that. Now, an awd crossover w/a V-6 is what a crossover is meant to be... Tons out there, everybody make one of those. rwd? What, rally up a Crown Vic? Huh?

rwd w/v-6... ?? The original SUV/SAV/crossover/small vehicle= Jeep (CJ/YJ/TJ/JK) short wheel base vehicle.

I get the crossover thing... Look like a car, but on a truck platform, ride high, etc.... 1982 AMC Eagle is what you are looking for? :-/

Now... One of thee original "crossovers"... 1982 AMC Eagle SX4--

http://jalopnik.com/setsession?r=http%3A%2F%2Fjalopnik.com%2Ffor-4-900-this-1982-amc-eagle-sx-4-looks-ready-to-fly-1692359255&sessionId=21bd0e48-e019-456b-a78a-67c05e2b9659

Most of today's "crossovers" are not on truck platforms and have FWD. They share platforms with cars. CX5s, Escapes, Tucsons, etc. The Jeep is in that truck-based SUV category with the Xterra, Pathfinder, Explorer, 4Runner, Tahoe, etc.

If you're looking for a RWD-based 4x4 system, you have to pay more for a bigger SUV...or get a less expensive Jeep....or a small truck. :)

Edited by LeGOATski