Deonte Thompson - making a push for roster spot?

YoloinOhio

DT seems to be playing pretty well. Anyone who has seen him in person think he looks like a potential member of the 53? I realize we have a lot of depth at WR but he looks like a player...

i don't think he makes the team itself--most likely the practice squad.

If he had caught the one in the EZ from TYrod, he'd be a shoe in. It was a perfectly thrown ball that went through his hands. An out and out drop. He did catch a nice TD pass from EJ, but who cares? EJ sucks. PS maybe?

From the angle I saw, that would have been a tough TD catch for anyone.

From the angle I saw, that would have been a tough TD catch for anyone.

Indeed it would have been an exceptional catch, especially given the coverage, but it did hit his hands and it was placed well. Even Whaley pulled the if only card on that catch in his interview :lol: As far as making the team, has Thompson gotten any reps for returns? I thought he did a bit of that with Baltimore. His competition may be Thigpen, which would be tough.

I think Goodwin makes the roster. I have doubts concerning Hogan, tho Lal has had nice things to say about him. I think the Bills need to think hard about Thompson and Davis. These guys are or should be in the mix. They are not camp fodder. When Thompson was taken from the Ravens PS he was getting paid twice the going rate. They liked him. With Harvin and Goodwin injury prone Thompson could be viewed as a reasonable facsimile. And watch out for Andre Davis. This kid may be special. He has a slow 40 yet he is a vertical threat. The reason is that he goes through his breaks completely seamlessly, he does not break stride or slow down. Instead he accelerates. He's one of these slow guys who somehow never get caught from behind. Sorta like that guy who played in SF. Plus he has great hands, better than Thompson it would appear. Needs to refine his route running and certainly his blocking but that's not unusual in transitioning to the pro game. Davis caught two long "touchdown" passes in practice against the Browns beating their first round corner handily twice. Looks like a kid with real upside. He had received a big school offer (Florida I think) but preferred USF to play in Tampa where he's from. Team captain and best player there.

I'll be interested to see what the Bills do.

Perhaps the toughest cuts on the entire roster are going to be at the WR position. Goodwin, Hogan, Thigpen, Thompson, Davis can all make good claims to be there, but only two (or three at most) will make the cut.

I'm giving Easley the benefit of the doubt because of his ST play, and I'm almost putting Thigpen in for the same reason -- he's a great punt returner.

Perhaps the toughest cuts on the entire roster are going to be at the WR position. Goodwin, Hogan, Thigpen, Thompson, Davis can all make good claims to be there, but only two (or three at most) will make the cut.

I'm giving Easley the benefit of the doubt because of his ST play, and I'm almost putting Thigpen in for the same reason -- he's a great punt returner.

I'm still not sure why Easley rarely gets a chance to show his stuff at WR during preseason. But I agree, he is just too valuable otherwise. I don't agree as strongly with Thigpen, because I don't like him much as a WR and I think we have other guys who can fill the PR role---but you are likely right, he gets kept. Hogan's a tough one for me. Didn't the guy would ever make the team in the beginning. But he always seemed to come through. More recently, though, he's been dropping too many passes. A guy like that needs to catch everything to be valuable to the team, IMO.

keep the speed guys goodwin, thompson, etc. who scare a defense ... cut hogan

Exactly. Hogan is the type of player that when your team isn't very good he comes out of nowhere and impresses. Everyone loves him because he's not supposed to be as good as he is, but he will never be a threat to the defense. Good teams have threats coming off of the bench.

Exactly. Hogan is the type of player that when your team isn't very good he comes out of nowhere and impresses. Everyone loves him because he's not supposed to be as good as he is, but he will never be a threat to the defense. Good teams have threats coming off of the bench.

Isn't there someone on this board who said something like we lost every game we played last year that Hogan was targeted a certain amount or something?

Isn't there someone on this board who said something like we lost every game we played last year that Hogan was targeted a certain amount or something?

I believe that Kirby Jackson made a correlation of the games that Hogan and Chandler made a total of 7 catches or more we lost. Something like that. Meaning in the games they were targeted a lot versus our real threats in Watkins and Woods, etc, it didn't help us.