What a Cast of Characters

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, the 2015 Bills have brought us:

1. A foul-mouthed, larger-than-life head coach with an affinity for the female foot.
  2. A RB who stiffed a minimum wage waitress so badly that even Charlie Sheen felt bad, implied in an interview that his former coach was a bigot, and openly advertised creepy "females only" parties.
  3. An OG whose bullying scandal became national headlines and promptly bashed his own Ferrari with a bat out of frustration.
  4. A WR voted "the most hated player" in the locker room.
  5. A position coach who was the Deep Throat in Cutlergate, punched a teenager over a dispute regarding a chair, and then allegedly threatened to whack his family over said chair.
  6. And now, a LB who sucker-punched his own quarterback, shattering his jaw, and causing him to miss six weeks.

Yeah, players shouldn't be breaking the jaws of their own quarterbacks. But it does appear he was provoked.

And, yeah, not manning up and explaining or apologizing for a ridiculous racially-charged accusation shows a serious lack of character. AND the party thing was creepy, especially when you can get all the "females" you want. But the dude is a top 3 RB. His Hulk Hogan diss was also epic.

SO...didn't we have another band of misfits in the 90s? As I didn't follow the Bills during the Super Bowl years as much as I do now, how does that team compare in terms of anti-social behavior? I'm betting it's similar -- especially considering it was during the infancy stage of the Internet and way before social media.

What about it? Were they similar?

We all know we're in for an entertaining year after two years of Marrone Ball. But I also think we're on the precipice of finally having a playoff team ... largely due to this cast of characters -- and the new owner, of course -- and the mean streak they bring.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

While I think it is funny that Ryan picked up the Jawbreaker, I'm not really on board with the mix of "characters".

On a team that looks to be loaded with talent, ready to contend, but with 3 crappy QB's, I anticipate some ugly locker room conflict ahead. Whoever the QB is (they all suck at about the same level), he will be holding back the team, and it's not gonna be pretty. Even if the conflict doesn't seem to relate directly to the QB, if they are losing frustrating games, there is going tension, and too many guys that don't deal with it well.

This has been a problem with Rex Ryan teams, and while some people here think it will be cool for the team to be "relevant" to the media, I think it's a stupid way to build a team.

Thank You.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Every team in the NFL has to deal with these issues and many rosters have character issues worse than the Bills. It's not a justification, however, every circumstance is different. Rex at least is honest and practical. Like the one Bills coach said about IK "we'll corral him or let him go". Look at Darius - when we drafted him we had no idea he'd have some off the field issues. We are stuck with managing him as best we can while the talent outweighs the difficulty. Of course we want high character guys at every position but you try to develop character just like you develop the other skills. The 90's Bills that are so revered were no different. I have no problem with the Bills taking a chance on a guy who was provoked in a fight to see if he's learned from it. He has a lot of potential as a player.

Edited by timtebow15

I have to agree with you on this summary. We have had "nice" and "squeaky clean" players for many, many years (David Nelson, George Wilson, Beebe, and the friggin guy that wrote childrens" books - Bentley). We have a regular group of bad asses and I'm pumped.

Hey, Bentley killed somebody with his car - so he's got that going for him