Revis says Bills told him they were going to draft him in 07

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills were all sorts of incompetent back then. Hopefully the recent drafts which are look good turn out to be real gems. Since Buddy took over post 2010 draft (I can't knock him too much for the Spiller draft since he wasn't there in the beginning of the scouting process, since 2011 the drafts have been solid).

The Bills were all sorts of incompetent back then. Hopefully the recent drafts which are look good turn out to be real gems. Since Buddy took over post 2010 draft (I can't knock him too much for the Spiller draft since he wasn't there in the beginning of the scouting process, since 2011 the drafts have been solid).

Incompetent or not they had their 1st round pick narrowed down to 2 HOFers. I am not sure that they warrant criticism for this draft.

He's one of the 10 best players in the league at any position and he would have been an awful choice? ;)

There's a difference between, "he would have been an awful pick" and "Bill fro NYC will hate the pick." This is clearly the 2nd.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I heard from a reasonably reliable source that at the time the Bills had three players on their board: Lynch, Poz and Revis. Marv supposedly wanted Poz, whereas Modrak wanted Revis. Modrak, who had made an impression on Marv by accurately picking all 11 selections prior to the Bills' pick, was able to convince Marv that Poz could be had later in the draft. However, he lost the battle over Lynch vs. Revis, as many in the room (including Marv) felt that RB was a much bigger need, given the recent departure of McGahee. This was probably another one of those picks where marv was trying to make a pick that everyone in the room could live with -- rather than necessarily taking the "best" player on the board.

The Bills did a good job leading up to the draft keeping outiders guessing. The 49ers, for example, supposedly thought that the Bills were interested in Patrick Willis, when in reality they had Poz ranked higher.

In retrospect, it probably doesn't matter much. Lynch has proven to be worthy of the selection, but his off-field issues while in Buffalo cut his time here short. Revis would have been out the door when his first contract came up.

Modrak supposedly wanted Cutler over Whitner in 2006, Revis over Lynch in 2007 and Cushing over Maybin in 2009. (Leodis was his guy in 2008). Wonder how much our fate over the years may have changed if the team had gone along with his advice.

Idiots who ran this team built it around defensive backs and running backs. How did this work?

Gotham Bill, There are other rounds also. Don't get fixated on only the first round. I'm not a big Buddy Nix devotee. But the turn around toward normalcy happened when he came on board. Without agreeing to all of Whaley's draft selections and maneuvers I feel that the franchise is run in a very competent manner that allows this formerly bedraggled franchise a reasonable opportunity to succeed.

Hey Bill, Gilmore was no excellent selection and is a very good player. By the way he is a CB! :thumbsup:

Idiots who ran this team built it around defensive backs and running backs. How did this work?

If you would have added the greatest CB in the game your team would have improved. That's obvious. That is why team's draft BPA. If you have the opportunity to add a 1st ballot HOFer is never a bad pick.