Astro-Notes: Day 1, Friday 7/31

I made practice and Manuel surprised me. Yes, this illogical bashing of Manuel needs to stop. You can see that he has the best arm and talent of the group. He's the only QB not consistently underthrowing receivers - the best scenario is that he takes the next step and wins the job. Tyrod is no solution and Cassel is just another Orton...if we are lucky. We should be rooting for Manuel to win the job.

Thanks Tebow!? What's killing me is the "unnamed source" referring to EJ as throwing the football like he's throwing darts. Who looks like that are throwing darts more than Philip Rivers. Show em what you got EJ!! Go Bills!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tebow!? What's killing me is the "unnamed source" referring to EJ as throwing the football like he's throwing darts. Who looks like that are throwing darts more than Philip Rivers. Show em what you got EJ!! Go Bills!!

I'm trying to rap my head around the "throwing darts" comment. Is it good or bad? I thought when someone said that it was a good thing. Someone want to elaborate?

ok i think i got it....

astro opine what homer fans want to hear = genius

radio guy opine what homer fans don't want to hear = evil, incompetent with sinister agenda

by the way astro, i welcome and appreciate your reports...and i hope EJ (or, for the love of god, SOMEBODY) really looks great and turns the corner. its just that the level of confirmation bias here is astonishing. so many fans can't handle hearing opinions on these players that they don't agree with that they create media boogeymen in their minds....it is sad and funny at the same time.

ok i think i got it....

radio guy opine what homer fans don't want to hear = evil, incompetent with sinister agenda

by the way astro, i welcome and appreciate your reports...and i hope EJ (or, for the love of god, SOMEBODY) really looks great and turns the corner. its just that the level of confirmation bias here is astonishing. so many fans can't handle hearing opinions on these players that they don't agree with that they create media boogeymen in their minds....it is sad and funny at the same time.

As Rex Ryan said on the JMS, "the tape don't lie"! He also said EJ looked "pretty good" after watching the tape. Astro said EJ looked good from his posts. So right now I'm more prone to believe what Astro is posting more so than the local media types

i took it to mean he throws it without a lot of "touch" on the ball. But not sure.

Watch some of Philip Rivers throws. He throws like he's "throwing darts"

ok i think i got it....

i did a Twitter search on EJ Manuel yesterday and from I recall all the fans tweeting from TC said that he looked good. The only ones that didn't were those RTing media tweets and adding comments. Add that to Rex initiating comments about him looking very good after watching the film. It's not just Astro, FYI.

He had a bad day today per reports. Looked better at the end. All reports will probably be negative.

i did a Twitter search on EJ Manuel yesterday and from I recall all the fans tweeting from TC said that he looked good. The only ones that didn't were those RTing media tweets and adding comments. Add that to Rex initiating comments about him looking very good after watching the film. It's not just Astro, FYI.

He had a bad day today per reports. Looked better at the end. All reports will probably be negative.

I get the sense that this local media hate everything EJ Manuel thing is more of a mob mentality than it is an agenda. They’re afraid of stepping out of the Buffalo media groupthink fishbowl for fear of being ridiculed. To them, it’s better to go with the flow than to risk the embarrassment of having one once of faith by thinking that EJ could become a franchise QB and it not happening. What will be very entertaining is if EJ blows the competition away and they are only left with “Oh yeah!? Well let’s just see what he does in a real game!”. I doubt the Bills will just sit back and take it without recourse if it comes down to that. I’d expect some serious pushback on WGR decision makers by the Bills if that station continues to trash their starting QB who they see developing nicely. At that point they would essentially become the team’s PR enemy.

I'm trying to rap my head around the "throwing darts" comment. Is it good or bad? I thought when someone said that it was a good thing. Someone want to elaborate?

It's like a shot putting motion rather than pulling down and spiraling it that way. I noticed this with EJ before, especially during his first few games last year. To me, it seemed like he didn't want to or feel he could step into the throw, like he was trying to throw without moving his weight and body forward. He's actually pretty good at it, and sometimes he indeed could not step into his throws because of pressure. But then he sometimes did this with no pressure, and this motion tends to make the ball travel slower and with little zip. Watch the Dolphins game 2 last year. Even though he did well, many of his throws had this subtle motion to it.

From every video I've seen of him from the end of last year until now, he is stepping in with authority and pulling down hard on the ball to deliver it with speed. Honestly, it just seemed like a confidence thing--him not owning the decision he was making.

EJ's motion is actually quite good, in my novice opinion. And his success moving forward is about him knowing where to go with the ball and trusting his receivers, and owning that decision and throwing with authority.

I'm excited for his future.

Or the Rob Johnson roll-out, roll-out, roll-out and step-out-of-bounds and sack myself.

oh hell i just spit.

awesome and horrid at the same time

It's like a shot putting motion rather than pulling down and spiraling it that way. I noticed this with EJ before, especially during his first few games last year. To me, it seemed like he didn't want to or feel he could step into the throw, like he was trying to throw without moving his weight and body forward. He's actually pretty good at it, and sometimes he indeed could not step into his throws because of pressure. But then he sometimes did this with no pressure, and this motion tends to make the ball travel slower and with little zip. Watch the Dolphins game 2 last year. Even though he did well, many of his throws had this subtle motion to it.

From every video I've seen of him from the end of last year until now, he is stepping in with authority and pulling down hard on the ball to deliver it with speed. Honestly, it just seemed like a confidence thing--him not owning the decision he was making.

EJ's motion is actually quite good, in my novice opinion. And his success moving forward is about him knowing where to go with the ball and trusting his receivers, and owning that decision and throwing with authority.

I'm excited for his future.

How about we all go with this awesome post?

Thanks ko