Pegula's Approval

Ownership  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from not moving the team, how do you rank Pegula's perfomance so far as Bills owner?

2. 2. Aside from not moving the team, how do you rank Pegula's perfomance so far as Sabres owner?

A competitive team in '15/'16 that is between 10th and 12th is either VERY close to playoffs or in playoffs if #10. So you'd be OK and think we're "on course" if we do the same the following year?

I think we need playoffs THIS YEAR, or my grade (B) goes down.

We went from bottom of the league two years in a row. Playoffs would be nice, and aren't completely out of the realm of possibility, but realisticly, this is a whole new team that needs to grow and mend together.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A competitive team in '15/'16 that is between 10th and 12th is either VERY close to playoffs or in playoffs if #10. So you'd be OK and think we're "on course" if we do the same the following year?

I think we need playoffs THIS YEAR, or my grade (B) goes down.

IMO, just upward trajectory and progress is fine. #10 isnt a playoff spot... I was speaking in terms of conference finish. Top 8 make it. If they are #10-12 this year and dont really improve on that the following season, I will start to get weary I guess. But we'll see, there are so many other factors and variables involved. What if they miss and end up getting a top 1-3 pick in the lottery?

Playoffs this year would be great. I just think they are a bit too young and inexperienced to really expect it.

Anyone else think that Ralph Wilson pegged Terry Pegula as the new owner all along?

I agree this seemed like a done deal.. Which is why no one else seriously bid. I think this was in place about 3 years ago. The Wilsons just had to make it look fair. Or at least they owed it to themselves to put it out for bid just in case some crazy rich guy offered 2 Billion.

The number even seemed funny. 1.4 Billion for a franchise worth 850 million. My guess is, some of that money is coming back as part of a stadium gift from the Wilsons as a part of the high sale price agreement.

In my opinion, the people that voted A or B for sabres should change their vote to not a sabres fan.

His heart is absolutely in the right place. But you cannot ignore that fact that he has been the owner for 5 years and they are the laughing stock of the NHL. Leagues worst record the past 2 seasons. Knee jerk reactions on vet signings like Ehrhoff and Leino. He is on his 3rd coach in 5 years. And now he fires Black (not a bad thing at all) and replaces him with the sitting president of a NFL team? The GM takes the brunt of the blame (except for the president), but the buck stops with him. His introduction as the teams owner was awesome (I was there), but aside from that the rest has been dismal.

I was torn between C and D only because as i said, his heart is in the right place and it is obvious he plans to keep the team(s) in Buffalo. But there is no way he grades out to a B much less an A as the sabres owner thus far.

Laughing stock, huh? The Sabres are considered the team with the best prospects. They tanked and scored a franchise player. Please give me a link to anyone who is laughing at the Sabres.

In my opinion, the people that voted A or B for sabres should change their vote to not a sabres fan.

His heart is absolutely in the right place. But you cannot ignore that fact that he has been the owner for 5 years and they are the laughing stock of the NHL. Leagues worst record the past 2 seasons. Knee jerk reactions on vet signings like Ehrhoff and Leino. He is on his 3rd coach in 5 years. And now he fires Black (not a bad thing at all) and replaces him with the sitting president of a NFL team? The GM takes the brunt of the blame (except for the president), but the buck stops with him. His introduction as the teams owner was awesome (I was there), but aside from that the rest has been dismal.

I was torn between C and D only because as i said, his heart is in the right place and it is obvious he plans to keep the team(s) in Buffalo. But there is no way he grades out to a B much less an A as the sabres owner thus far.

Pegula gets a B with the Sabres because I don't think he has acted unreasonably at any step along the way and all projections are pointing up for the franchise moving forward. Ask a neutral hockey observer which team appears poised to become a dominant force for the next decade and I bet the Sabres are one of the top five organ-eye-zations mentioned.

I am exceedingly disappointed that although the new owner started out with the intention of hiring an experienced football man such as Ernie Accorci, Ron Wolf, and had actual talks with Bill Polian. The sad fact is we still see no football czar to help guide young GM Doug Whaley in finding a franchise QB, or even some really good O linemen.

Scorched earth rebuild policy....as for the Sabres in their 5th year, and the team actually made the playoffs their first year. 3rd playoffs, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 8th, as they went from bad to worse. So, will they end up being the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the 80's who were always drafting first, and could never put that talent to work to win games. You need both player talent, and coaching talent. The Bucs had Steve Young at QB and still managed to go 2-14. Some teams have tried this in the past and have failed. Like Edmonton, Florida, the old Islanders, and Atlanta Thrashers.

Kinda early to see what the Bills will be over the next 3 years with no franchise QB just yet, and I sure hope they don't end up going the scorched earth rebuild plan should the offense falter this year.

I was starting to wonder if it were possible for Regier to get fired no matter what he did. Don't know what Terry was waiting for there. Then the LaFontaine debacle. Now they've put some prospects together to get up to a C.

For the Bills an A. I couldn't ask for anything more than we got this offseason, other than a damn right tackle.

I am exceedingly disappointed that although the new owner started out with the intention of hiring an experienced football man such as Ernie Accorci, Ron Wolf, and had actual talks with Bill Polian. The sad fact is we still see no football czar to help guide young GM Doug Whaley in finding a franchise QB, or even some really good O linemen.

Scorched earth rebuild policy....as for the Sabres in their 5th year, and the team actually made the playoffs their first year. 3rd playoffs, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 8th, as they went from bad to worse. So, will they end up being the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the 80's who were always drafting first, and could never put that talent to work to win games. You need both player talent, and coaching talent. The Bucs had Steve Young at QB and still managed to go 2-14. Some teams have tried this in the past and have failed. Like Edmonton, Florida, the old Islanders, and Atlanta Thrashers.

Kinda early to see what the Bills will be over the next 3 years with no franchise QB just yet, and I sure hope they don't end up going the scorched earth rebuild plan should the offense falter this year.

Good lord, I'm glad Pegula didn't hire some old retread to "oversee" the franchise -- those dinosaurs aren't needed or wanted. Pegula was insightful enough to see quickly that the front office of the Bills was actually in good shape once Marrone quit and he spent time with Whaley and Brandon. Whaley has been around the league for many, many years despite his age, and aside from a couple of swings and misses he has followed up what Buddy Nix started by loading this team with talent. It's not even training camp yet and you'd made your decision the OL will stink and no QB will provide adequate play. You presume that finding a "franchise QB" is as easy as simply saying you'll do it. It's just a defeatist, loser mentality.

As for the Sabres, you clearly have no idea how the NHL works. Pegula gave Regier the rope to hang himself -- which is really what every GM wants. When it was obvious into the 3rd year that the Regier/Ruff combo and their "core" wasn't going to get the job done a specific plan was drawn up to ensure this never happens again. Yes, the last two years were painful, but I repeat, ask any neutral hockey observer what franchise is poised for a great run and the Sabres are in that conversation.

Pegula is so much smarter and understands people more than you give him credit for.

Eball- regier hung himself plenty and was allowed to continue on. Ruff too. Those two firings were made early in seasons and separate. Botched and waited too long, squandering years worth of time. Ruff was fired after like 12 games after an entire season and a half season lockout... I think Pegula gave both extensions at some point too. The entire hockey world was puzzled why r&r were still here.

Pegula himself said he didn't see the light until a chance bumping into Lafontaine at a conference.

I do agree we appear to be in a great place now... but pegula made a lot of early blunders with running the sabres.

Edited by May Day 10

Eball- regier hung himself plenty and was allowed to continue on. Ruff too. Those two firings were made early in seasons and separate. Botched and waited too long, squandering years worth of time. Ruff was fired after like 12 games after an entire season and a half season lockout... I think Pegula gave both extensions at some point too. The entire hockey world was puzzled why r&r were still here.

Pegula himself said he didn't see the light until a chance bumping into Lafontaine at a conference.

I do agree we appear to be in a great place now... but pegula made a lot of early blunders with running the sabres.

Yes the firings were separate but the bottom line is he didn't allow it to continue. He trusted the people in place when he bought the team and let it play out. It was his first exposure to owning a professional sports franchise and he had to learn along the way. You say "years worth" -- I say maybe two. Not a huge price to pay for what we're looking at now. And the bottom line is Pegula showed the ability to learn and adapt -- so he was in a much better position when he bought the Bills.

Tell me honestly, since Pegula took over, what franchise QB was actuall available? Yeah, they made the playoffs his "first year." But that was a team set up before he took over. He's rebuilding a new team that's actually going somewhere.

Laughing stock, huh? The Sabres are considered the team with the best prospects. They tanked and scored a franchise player. Please give me a link to anyone who is laughing at the Sabres.

Promo, really, links? How about talking to hockey fans. How about watching the fans during home games, cheering the opponents or wearing bags. How about fans who can't give away tickets because the team is so bad. How about the past 2 season not just being bad, but historically bad. Yeah they tanked, after they saw that no matter what they did, they SUCKED ASS.

And the biggest one of all ... I'm not sure being out of town how many games you get to see during the season, but a lot of away games last season (probably the season before as well but I do not remember for sure), the opponent started their backup goalie AT HOME. Sometimes it works out that way due to injury, or the schedule and the starter needing a rest, but that happens rarely. Starting the backup goalie at home is probably the biggest sign of lack of respect for a team that there is in hockey.

Links???? And prospects are just that, prospects. Until these prospects turn into players that actually belong in the NHL (of which I think the Sabres had only a couple by the end of last season), they still suck ass.

And if the Sabres tanked on purpose 2 years in a row to historic proportions (which I do not believe they did until they saw how bad they sucked anyway), then Pegula owes every season ticket holder a full refund for both seasons. 82 home games of complete ****, he should be embarrassed to take peoples money.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Promo, really, links? How about talking to hockey fans. How about watching the fans during home games, cheering the opponents or wearing bags. How about fans who can't give away tickets because the team is so bad. How about the past 2 season not just being bad, but historically bad. Yeah they tanked, after they saw that no matter what they did, they SUCKED ASS.

And the biggest one of all ... I'm not sure being out of town how many games you get to see during the season, but a lot of away games last season (probably the season before as well but I do not remember for sure), the opponent started their backup goalie AT HOME. Sometimes it works out that way due to injury, or the schedule and the starter needing a rest, but that happens rarely. Starting the backup goalie at home is probably the biggest sign of lack of respect for a team that there is in hockey.

Links???? And prospects are just that, prospects. Until these prospects turn into players that actually belong in the NHL (of which I think the Sabres had only a couple by the end of last season), they still suck ass.

And if the Sabres tanked on purpose 2 years in a row to historic proportions (which I do not believe they did until they saw how bad they sucked anyway), then Pegula owes every season ticket holder a full refund for both seasons. 82 home games of complete ****, he should be embarrassed to take peoples money.

Any Sabres fan is excited about what's to come. Sure it sucks that it took this long, and the measures it took, but it all worked out in the end. #LostTheLotto #WonTheJACKpot

Come on, dude, you're better than this. There's no outrage. Fans around the league are envious of what the Sabres are building. Tim Murray warned fans that this (the tank) was coming; it wasn't a surprise.

Pegula's only mistake was coming into the process as a fan first and owner second. He was all googly-eyed over buying his childhood favorite team and thought everything was in place. He learned -- not as quickly as some hoped, but he learned.

Come on, dude, you're better than this. There's no outrage. Fans around the league are envious of what the Sabres are building. Tim Murray warned fans that this (the tank) was coming; it wasn't a surprise.

Pegula's only mistake was coming into the process as a fan first and owner second. He was all googly-eyed over buying his childhood favorite team and thought everything was in place. He learned -- not as quickly as some hoped, but he learned.

That part is certainly true.

Any Sabres fan is excited about what's to come. Sure it sucks that it took this long, and the measures it took, but it all worked out in the end. #LostTheLotto #WonTheJACKpot

If enough of the prospects turn into NHL players (2 years maybe?), then yes the future would certainly be considerably brighter that the first 5 years of the Pegula ownership.

If enough of the prospects turn into NHL players (2 years maybe?), then yes the future would certainly be considerably brighter that the first 5 years of the Pegula ownership.

The Sabres aren't solely relying on prospects this season when they will likely be 30 points (at least) better than last year. While that may or may not be good enough for the playoffs, 2016-17 is probably the year everything really comes together.

The Sabres aren't solely relying on prospects this season when they will likely be 30 points (at least) better than last year. While that may or may not be good enough for the playoffs, 2016-17 is probably the year everything really comes together.

They aren't? What are they relying on in general, and for a goalie in particular?