OT - garden

mead107

We plant a garden every year. We have a good sized area (25' x 45') and divide it up by types of plants.

Last year we planted sweet corn, watermelon, cucumbers, squash (3 varieties), zuchini, tomatoes (over 60 plants), green & red peppers, and some hot peppers too, Peas, beans, carrots, and onions.

We had a real problem with the chipmunks last year, so we have to work on some type of system to keep them away. I have suggested a large cat! Problem is the garden is at our Grandparents, so we can't force a pet on them. I also suggested a pellet gun for grandma!

We plant a garden every year.  We have a good sized area (25' x 45') and divide it up by types of plants.

Last year we planted sweet corn, watermelon, cucumbers, squash (3 varieties), zuchini, tomatoes (over 60 plants), green & red peppers, and some hot peppers too, Peas, beans, carrots, and onions.

We had a real problem with the chipmunks last year, so we have to work on some type of system to keep them away.  I have suggested a large cat!  Problem is the garden is at our Grandparents, so we can't force a pet on them.  I also suggested a pellet gun for grandma!

235404[/snapback]

My grandpa (88 years old) still plants his full out garden (mainly for onions, squash, etc). He deals with rabbits and chipmunks all the time. He lives in Springville, and every year he will stand watch with his .22 and wait for an unlucky critter to come along. He's quite the good shot, as a matter of fact.

My grandpa (88 years old) still plants his full out garden (mainly for onions, squash, etc). He deals with rabbits and chipmunks all the time. He lives in Springville, and every year he will stand watch with his .22 and wait for an unlucky critter to come along. He's quite the good shot, as a matter of fact.

235423[/snapback]

Unfortunately, we cannot shoot "real" guns in thier town. So a pellet or BB gun would be the best. I wish electric fences worked for chipmunks. They were terrible last year. They ruined at least 50% of our veggies. The big cat would work best I think.

Unfortunately, we cannot shoot "real" guns in thier town.  So a pellet or BB gun would be the best.  I wish electric fences worked for chipmunks.  They were terrible last year.  They ruined at least 50% of our veggies.  The big cat would work best I think.

235435[/snapback]

Well, unless you get a special made pellet gun, mopre than likely you'll do nothing more than wound the chipmunks. I had a semi-auto rifle several years ago, it shot a pellet 720 FPS and it would probably kill a chipmunk. Somehow, I don't think grandma would be wanting to shoot that thing! :)

A story about that gun. I got it when I was 15 (so, dumb enough to still shoot innocent birds). Anyway, I lined up a black bird (for some reason, even then i wouldn't shoot robins) and took one shot with a fresh CO2. The bird didn't even flap, squack, nothing. Just fell over. I had actually shot it though its eye and out the other side of it's head. My friends and I thought it was cool. Now I kinda feel bad.

and what plants do you grow ????? how big ?? i stoped having a garden 6 years ago.now i just stop at the farmers stand .

235343[/snapback]

We usually plant some Green Peppers, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Lettuce, and Squash.

Each year we also end up with some potatos that have grown from the peelings that had thrown in the garden for composting.

GO BILLS 2005

I love having a garden. Fresh veggies rock.

We usually plant tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, green pepper, tomatillos, and jalapenos. We try to do something new each year, like corn, watermelon, whatever.

We also have dwarf peach and nectarine trees.

I do all the gardening and landscaping at my house, front and back. I don't mess with vegetables, though I grow chives and rosemary, which basically fend for themselves pretty good.

The great thing about California is the climate produces plants which wouldn't have much success on the east coast. There are so many variations of palm that it's amazing. My favorite is the sago palm, which sprouts new fronds from the center every other year. I have four of these in my backyard, three of which are huge. They're one of the only plants which actually increase in value as they age. Another plant I have, indigenous to Hawaii, is the plumeria. If you're lucky, each tip (or branch) will produce a stem, from which the most aromatic flowers are produced. These are the flowers used to make leis, and have many different colors.

I also planted a small brugmansia this past year. It begs for water, but produces these huge bell-shaped flowers which hang upside down. When it's in full bloom it looks awesome. There's a bunch of other stuff back there, but these are my favorites.

My wife and I started one in our little Brooklyn backyard last year. We look forward to doing it again this summer when we'll be around more than the last.

We grew some different kinds of lettuce, some tomatoes, zucchini, and cukes. Peas were not a success. But it was nice to have some fresh stuff (and to not have to pay the supermarket's outrageous prices for something). It was worth the work.

I love having a garden. Fresh veggies rock.

We usually plant tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, green pepper, tomatillos, and jalapenos. We try to do something new each year, like corn, watermelon, whatever.

We also have dwarf peach and nectarine trees.

235558[/snapback]

I have a Mango tree in my backyard. However, once a week or so, this homeless (I'm assuming from his 1982 bicycle and the same outfit everytime i see him) comes by on his bike after dark. Sneaks into my backyard and steals as many as he can. The funny thing is, I always see him, because he doesn't wait until like midnight - he does it at like 8:30. I should go out and tell him he doesn't have to sneak (as I don't care - I mean, the guy is homeless, he probably needs those mangos alot more than I do).

I have a Mango tree in my backyard. However, once a week or so, this homeless (I'm assuming from his 1982 bicycle and the same outfit everytime i see him) comes by on his bike after dark. Sneaks into my backyard and steals as many as he can.  The funny thing is, I always see him, because he doesn't wait until like midnight - he does it at like 8:30.  I should go out and tell him he doesn't have to sneak (as I don't care - I mean, the guy is homeless, he probably needs those mangos alot more than I do).

235563[/snapback]

LOL! The thought of the guy sneaking around at 8:30 instead of later made me crack up.

Maybe you should just pick a few and leave them in a container near the front with a sign that says "Free". I think I'd prefer that to a guy sneaking around my yard.

LOL! The thought of the guy sneaking around at 8:30 instead of later made me crack up.

Maybe you should just pick a few and leave them in a container near the front with a sign that says "Free". I think I'd prefer that to a guy sneaking around my yard.

235568[/snapback]

Listen, I feel bad for the guy - doesn't mean I'm gonna go climbing on my picnic table, with a chair on top of it (like he does) to pick some mangos for him. Plus, it's like reality TV - and you know how much I enjoy reality TV.

235423[/snapback]

My grandfather lives in Springville as well. 219, just north of the golf course. Plants a fairly good size garden too. Small world.