Early 4 Way Presidential Poll

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as President?

• Jeb Bush
    • Donald Trump
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Bernie Sanders

With people feeling comfortable in the confines of their echo chamber du jour, we have a hyper polarized political environment where the extreme's of each party dominate the debates within their own parties. Sure, the more moderate tempered candidates are the ones that are usually nominated but none the less, each party is moving further and further away from the middle.

I agree with this, however in general I think there is one distinct difference between the left and the right when it comes to hyper-partisan babbling. The talking heads of the right have shown themselves to be more self-critical than the talking heads of the left.

What I mean is that people like Hannity, Limbaugh, Levin, Coulter, Ingraham have no problem being critical of members of their own party (like McCain, Graham, Boehner, Christie, McConnell, and even Rubio, Cruz, and Carson) while the only person on the left would consistently be critical of people in her party is Kirsten Powers.

People like Eugene Robinson are little more than bylines placed over WH press releases.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this, however in general I think there is one distinct difference between the left and the right when it comes to hyper-partisan babbling. The talking heads of the right have shown themselves to be more self-critical than the talking heads of the left.

What I mean is that people like Hannity, Limbaugh, Levin, Coulter, Ingraham have no problem being critical of members of their own party (like McCain, Graham, Boehner, Christie, McConnell, and even Rubio, Cruz, and Carson) while the only person on the left would consistently be critical of people in her party is Kirsten Powers.

People like Eugene Robinson are little more than bylines placed over WH press releases.

Kinda like this place.

I'll spare you the suspense -- Trump has no idea how he would get it accomplished because he's not interested in really running for president. He's only interested in upping the value of the Trump name with his publicity stunt.

Your comment on the border fence wasn't as alarming as the desire to strike first at Iran... that was the truly alarming one.

Time will tell on this. I think Trump is going to show staying power and will be there for Iowa, NH, SC, etc before finally succumbing to the GOP establishment / Jeb in the end. I think by Feb of next year, there will be few doubts that he's in it to win it.

As for Iran, time will tell as well. If a Republican president can't somehow find a way to re-impose sanctions, the world might be better off if somebody attacks. It doesn't have to be the USA. Giving the go-ahead to Israel to protect themselves is fine, too.

Think about this: The dems and the msm has become so intertwined that besides the boost and insulation the msm gives the dems there are some negative consequences. The factory worker that you figured would always vote democrat relates the dems with the msm's foolish faux causes and isn't in the bag anymore. Throw in the attack on Cadillac Health Plans and the 2nd Amendment and a good share of the dems base is starting to crumble.

the "msm" is about the status quo with very few exceptions (and i wouldn't consider those outliers msm, whatever that is). as alaska cleverly pointed out, even clinton didn't move the bar much. i think he meant to initially but he wanted a second term and didn't see massive change and simultaneous reelection in the cards. in the end, he didn't even get minor health care reform.

but then we have a black man elected in an incredibly racist nation, evidenced by the vitriol surrounding a symbol adored by racist, hate groups. so the cadillac health plan and 2nd amendment issues don't change the electoral college playing field very much. they were there when that black man in that racist country was reelected. perhaps it's not so in buffalo. i'll take a look at the districts voting for obama for reelection soon. but nationally, for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_New_York,_2012 pretty interesting stuff. erie county went obama by a decent majority. as chef stated some of the rural bills counties went heavily red.

Edited by birdog1960

It use to be the conservatives that fall in line, now-a-days it's the opposite.

The only time I can remember conservatives banding together in large numbers was during the Reagan years. He was really good at selling his vision, to the point where even a lot of democrats supported him rather than their own party. Nobody else in my lifetime has been able to rally conservatives like that, specifically because they weren't Reagan.

The only time I can remember conservatives banding together in large numbers was during the Reagan years. He was really good at selling his vision, to the point where even a lot of democrats supported him rather than their own party. Nobody else in my lifetime has been able to rally conservatives like that, specifically because they weren't Reagan.

He was uplifting and did things in a congenial manner.

Just watch:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=reagan+mondale+debate+youth&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=5DBA107CDFBB1CC2D1645DBA107CDFBB1CC2D164

It's easy to see why he had the effect on people that he did. I was still in my youthful neo-communist phase during his presidency, but even then I had to admit that he was not only a likeable guy, but things had actually begun to turn around under his administration. Republicans have been looking for the next Reagan ever since those days.

Donald Trump says the chances that he will launch a third-party White House run will “absolutely” increase if the Republican National Committee is unfair to him during the 2016 primary season.

“The RNC has not been supportive. They were always supportive when I was a contributor. I was their fair-haired boy,” the business mogul told The Hill in a 40-minute interview from his Manhattan office at Trump Tower on Wednesday. “The RNC has been, I think, very foolish.”

not fair, that would be a factor.

Pressed on whether he would run as a third-party candidate if he fails to clinch the GOP nomination, Trump said that “so many people want me to, if I don’t win.”

“I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans,” Trump said. “Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor.

Waaaa! If they aren't "fair" I'll take my ball and go home.

Since when is politics ever "fair"? For being such a straight talking tough guy, he sure can be a lil pu$$y.

Edited by Magox

Waaaa! If they aren't "fair" I'll take my ball and go home.

Since when is politics ever "fair"? For being such a straight talking tough guy, he sure can be a lil pu$$y.

Or maybe it's because he is facing the same spineless GOP that have lost the last 2 elections. Trump is the first one in years that is saying what needs to be said out loud and its upsetting all the libs cause he is gaining traction.In the long run a third party run by Trump would wake up the Republican base and he would be just as loud as the democrats for once and fight back instead of being concerned about tone.

Edited by Very wide right

Or maybe it's because he is facing the same spineless GOP that have lost the last 2 elections. Trump is the first one in years that is saying what needs to be said out loud and its upsetting all the libs cause he is gaining traction.In the long run a third party run by Trump would wake up the Republican base and he would be just as loud as the democrats for once and fight back instead of being concerned about tone.

Na, he's just a thin-skinned wuss that believes he is being treated unfairly. Congrats for being yet another fool who bought his snakeoil.

Edited by Magox

Na, he's just a thin-skinned wuss that believes he is being treated unfairly. Congrats for being yet another fool who bought his snakeoil.

I don't think that's it at all. He knows that the GOP knows that if he runs as an independent, the GOP candidate has zero chance to win the election. He's leveraging that and basically telling the GOP not to mess with him.

Like Ross Perot did? Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I don't think that's it at all. He knows that the GOP knows that if he runs as an independent, the GOP candidate has zero chance to win the election. He's leveraging that and basically telling the GOP not to mess with him.

Have you not seen how thin-skinned he is? Can you imagine him losing and how he'd react?

Here is another tidbit from him crying foul.

During Trump’s interview, he got frustrated when Cooper tried to ask about Quinnipiac University’s poll of three swing states that came out Wednesday, showing his favorability below the rest of the field.

“It's not even a poll. It's in three different states and you are hitting me with this. Frankly, I think it is a very unfair question,” Trump said.

“I am leading across the board and then you hit me with this poll I didn’t see before.”

So it's "unfair" that the interviewer reads to him the results of the poll, which is that there are many more people who see him as the clown he is than people who like him?

What is he trying to leverage here? CNN better stop or else......

Could you imagine him in a campaign being ripped over and over by either the Democratic or Republican nominee about all the wacky things he has said or the liberal positions that he has had (like support for higher taxes and single payer).

The guy isn't tough enough to withstand the withering criticism that presidential candidates have to endure. Oh, and btw, if he were to run as a third candidate, not only would Hillary be the next president, but the GOP would lose every single swing district house race and senate seat. The house and Senate would both flip to the Democrats simply because there are enough knuckle draggers who would buy into his snakeoil to take away votes from the GOP.

Let's see what happens.

Edited by Magox

It's pretty tough to take Trump seriously as a candidate, but he's getting a lot of traction with people because he's saying things that many people - not just republicans - have been dying to hear their candidates say for years. Republicans have been bending over backwards to try to dispel the image that they hate immigrants, minorities, the poor, women, etc by not taking a hard stance on much of anything. As a result, they get candidates who come off as spineless kitties and wind up losing elections. If other republicans are smart, they'll take notice of how Trump resonates with so many people and adopt a more aggressive method of campaigning.

It's pretty tough to take Trump seriously as a candidate, but he's getting a lot of traction with people because he's saying things that many people - not just republicans - have been dying to hear their candidates say for years. Republicans have been bending over backwards to try to dispel the image that they hate immigrants, minorities, the poor, women, etc by not taking a hard stance on much of anything. As a result, they get candidates who come off as spineless kitties and wind up losing elections. If other republicans are smart, they'll take notice of how Trump resonates with so many people and adopt a more aggressive method of campaigning.

I think people forget that the GOP have won three out of the last five presidencies and would have won at least another if Bush sr. vs Clinton if Perot hadn't run. So it's a myth to believe that they keep losing elections, it's simply not supported by the facts. When was the last time the D's won back to back presidencies?

I have no problems with candidates running "aggressive" campaigns, but purposely lying about a race to gin up voters is not the way to do it. Why do you think that an overwhelming portion of the country views him as a clown? We aren't talking about a slight majority we are talking about 2/3 of the entire country who see him for what he is.

Edited by Magox