"How a rookie HC derailed a rookie QB"/All-22 of EJ Manuel

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it. So after EJ Manuel sucked in pretty much every single practice and certainly every single preseason game, the Bills brass was like, "Well obviously we're good to go at starting QB but man, Thad Lewis is a giant concern at backup QB. Let's dump him and coax this guy out of retirement by paying him $5 million a season just to hold a clipboard. I mean, I'm sure we'll never have to actually use him because EJ looks great but we really need a good backup QB just in case he gets injured." OK, just wanted to make sure.

Look I agree that their hand was forced but to say that Manuel had nothing to do with their hand being forced is kind of insane. It's almost historically inaccurate.

August 29. either way, the plan worked out great. Orton had a lower qbr than Manuel did as a rookie and Marrone is coaching in Jax. And EJ gets another shot at a starting job. I'm thrilled!

Right because Marrone was so concerned with Thad Lewis's play.

Given that EJ missed 5 games as rookie and were forced to start Tuel for a game, why would you need a veteran backup?

hyperbole police

post-4692-0-22191000-1437593972_thumb.jpg

Edited by C.Biscuit97

August 29. either way, the plan worked out great. Orton had a lower qbr than Manuel did as a rookie and Marrone is coaching in Jax. And EJ gets another shot at a starting job. I'm thrilled!

Given that EJ missed 5 games as rookie and were forced to start Tuel for a game, why would you need a veteran backup?

If EJ Manuel PROGRESSED in the 2014 offseason, my guess is that they wouldn't have been so overly concerned with signing Orton. You are basically stating that Manuel's regression was not a concern but Thad Lewis's was.

Calmer than you are dude.

count your posts these past 2 days and mine. You are on a crusade. You stared the other day that we won't convince you of anything. Do you think you will change our opinions with the constant negativity?

FTR I am calm. you should see me on a bad day.

If EJ Manuel PROGRESSED in the 2014 offseason, my guess is that they wouldn't have been so overly concerned with signing Orton. You are basically stating that Manuel's regression was not a concern but Thad Lewis's was.

Sure, it played a part but it was forced by Lewis looking awful. And despite the offseason, EJ won his first 2 starts of the year. Marrone panicked and bailed on a young qb at 2-2.

He was a "hot" coaching candidate and is now coaching the oline. Why do you think that is? Maybe, teams didn't value his judgment as much as you do.

I would call trying to make every absurd excuse known to man for a guy a "crusade" before I would call saying "not that optimistic but let's see what happens" a crusade.

you use every BAD stat against EJ in his short career as a reason to dump him. Dude count your posts, you are on a crusade, you just refuse to see it.

How many different people are you "arguing" with? 6? 10?

I'm done for today. Peace out

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

This thread is a masterpiece.

Thanks Yolo!

This thread assures that I ALWAYS have something to look at during work - you just KNOW there's going to be some new crazy stuff written that will entertain.

It's making the 5 minute spans between the 75 meetings that I have to day really fly by!

Sure, it played a part but it was forced by Lewis looking awful. And despite the offseason, EJ won his first 2 starts of the year. Marrone panicked and bailed on a young qb at 2-2.

He was a "hot" coaching candidate and is now coaching the oline. Why do you think that is? Maybe, teams didn't value his judgment as much as you do.

I'm wondering if Marrone already planned to opt out of his contract during the begining of the season which would be why he panicked

CBF

So you are prepared to go on record as stating that EJ Manuel's 2014 dumpster fire of an offseason and preseason played no role in the signing of Orton? You are starting to tread dangerously close to Bills Fan 4 Life territory.

Could you please give me specifics on the dumpster fire of 2014.....although I admit he did not look good in preseason.

I would call trying to make every absurd excuse known to man for a guy a "crusade" before I would call saying "not that optimistic but let's see what happens" a crusade.

You can look in the mirror. He had 2 decent games and 2 bad ones. That really deserves to be given up for an entire season in your 2nd year? For a mediocre at best journeyman QB?

Again, if this was a well renowned offensive coach, it might mean something. Why should any Bills fan trust Marrone's judgment?

you use every BAD stat against EJ in his short career as a reason to dump him. Dude count your posts, you are on a crusade, you just refuse to see it.

How many different people are you "arguing" with? 6? 10?

I'm done for today. Peace out

I don't think I've ever cited a statistic for EJ Manuel ever. But alas, you will not respond so there you have it. EDIT: the Robert Woods one, that's the only stat I've ever used.

Could you please give me specifics on the dumpster fire of 2014.....although I admit he did not look good in preseason.

Yeah if you recall he looked awful in OTA's and practices all 2014 offseason as well. Every day we would wait to hear that he had a decent practice and every day the reports were the same. It was really alarming to everyone. I'm surprised some of you seem to have forgotten this. Apparently he looked good in the one practice with the Steelers and then reverted back to sucking again ad then looked abysmal in the preseason. The EJ excuse then was the coaches were running a vanilla offense and not showing their hand.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You can look in the mirror. He had 2 decent games and 2 bad ones. That really deserves to be given up for an entire season in your 2nd year? For a mediocre at best journeyman QB?

Again, if this was a well renowned offensive coach, it might mean something. Why should any Bills fan trust Marrone's judgment?

I want to know how Ortons dumpster fire was any different then EJ's dumpster fire

On paper, if you look at it that way, it doesn't sound unreasonable to have let him keep playing. But were you in favor of letting him play in Detroit? I didn't think anyone was at the time. There are three factors which made it a no-brainer to put in Orton. 1. We had/have a playoff caliber defense. Hey maybe if he was on the Raiders, they let him ride it out. 2. He was so bad in the offseason/preseason that his poor play did not appear to be a fluke. 3. It wasn't like he had a little hiccup. He completely imploded and lost all confidence to the point that his receivers were visibly frustrated- something I'd never seen in an NFL game before, at least not to that extent. They do not win that game in Detroit the way he was playing. It was the right move at the time. Should they have put Manuel back in later in the season when Orton started to suck too? Yes, I would have.