Ron Darby workout

Fine with me. My problem is Kelly saying Darby will ride the pine for most of his rookie season. Again, they did not use their first pick in the draft for that. They did it out of need and scheme, who they chose on defense says a lot about the latter. Rex was best when be had 2 shutdown corners....revis and cromartrie. He has one of them in Gilmore, the intention was to make Darby the other as clearly McKelvin is not shutdown.

I think McKelvin is (was) much better than you give him credit for, prior to his injury. We'll see how Darby adapts. Thing is, Rex strikes me as the type of coach who will put the best player on the field. If that is Darby great. If that is McLovin for a season also great.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine with me. My problem is Kelly saying Darby will ride the pine for most of his rookie season. Again, they did not use their first pick in the draft for that. They did it out of need and scheme, who they chose on defense says a lot about the latter. Rex was best when be had 2 shutdown corners....revis and cromartrie. He has one of them in Gilmore, the intention was to make Darby the other as clearly McKelvin is not shutdown.

Kelly never said he was going to ride the pine. That's you misreading what's said... which is par for the course. He said he's not going to get enough snaps to be considered for DRoY without an injury to either Gilmore or McLovin'. And to say McLovin' isn't a shut down corner is to ignore how well he played last season prior to his injury. The guy took a big step, and I expect him to pick right back up this year.

I know a lot of people on here were confused by the pick. CB was nowhere near out biggest need. Personally, I think it was just a question of BPA, and Darby was that guy.

I think McKelvin is (was) much better than you give him credit for, prior to his injury. We'll see how Darby adapts. Thing is, Rex strikes me as the type of coach who will put the best player on the field. If that is Darby great. If that is McLovin for a season also great.

I like McKelvin too ...always have. But he's not shutdown. No opposing team game plans against throwing against him. He's just not physical enough and is prone to mental mistakes.

I know a lot of people on here were confused by the pick. CB was nowhere near out biggest need. Personally, I think it was just a question of BPA, and Darby was that guy.

I had a feeling Rex wanted a CB so I think it was BPA and a want pick.

This team doesn't draft BPA, especially in the first 3 rounds, no matter what they might say. 2 years ago they went QB, WR, LB, WR, last year they went WR, OT, LB. This year DB, OG .... clearly a pattern of need picks.

Not a surprise at all Darby was their first pick of 2015. Rex's best record with Jets and when he got closest to Super Bowl was 2010 when Revis and Cromartie were both clicking. And the best team of the past 2 years -- Seahawks ... also had the best secondaries. Pats only got back in the winner's circle when they reassembled an elite secondary with Revis last year. It's clear as bell to those paying attention an elite secondary is a requirement, and certainly Rex saw this first hand in his experience with the Jets.

This team doesn't draft BPA, especially in the first 3 rounds, no matter what they might say. 2 years ago they went QB, WR, LB, WR, last year they went WR, OT, LB. This year DB, OG .... clearly a pattern of need picks.

Not a surprise at all Darby was their first pick of 2015. Rex's best record with Jets and when he got closest to Super Bowl was 2010 when Revis and Cromartie were both clicking. And the best team of the past 2 years -- Seahawks ... also had the best secondaries. Pats only got back in the winner's circle when they reassembled an elite secondary with Revis last year. It's clear as bell to those paying attention an elite secondary is a requirement, and certainly Rex saw this first hand in his experience with the Jets.

Are you certain that Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, Sammy Watkins, Cyrus K., Preston Brown, Darby, and Miller were all "need picks" vs "BPA?" The only need pick I see in the bunch is EJ.

Are you certain that Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, Sammy Watkins, Cyrus K., Preston Brown, Darby, and Miller were all "need picks" vs "BPA?" The only need pick I see in the bunch is EJ.

Certain as in 100%, no. Are you 100% certain they're bpa? What I deduce from their selections is a pattern of need picks (most teams draft this way).

1. EJ clearly need

2. They said they wanted more offense and that it was a passing league, so they go out and spend a boatload of picks beefing up the WR corp

3. The LB corp they inherited from Hailey/Nix era was terrible, so they draft LBs

4. They had terrible guard play last year so they draft a guard this year.

All of these are consistent with what they were doing in FA, where I'm not aware of teams going "bpa"

The only clear exception I see is Cyrus, where they took a flyer on a player with injury concern that kept him out of Rd1. Clearly not Darbys situation.

And here's what NFL.com said about Darby selection:

"Buffalo's first pick of the draft had Rex Ryan's fingerprints all over it as the Bills selected athletic cornerback Ronald Darby with the No. 50 pick Friday night.

Without a first-round pick, the Bills used their principal selection to add a player with high upside who could become a playmaker at the most important position in Ryan's defense."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490071/article/buffalo-bills-select-cb-ronald-darby-with-no-50-pick

I agree with them, and it sure sounds like need to me

Edited by JTSP

Certain as in 100%, no. Are you 100% certain they're bpa? What I deduce from their selections is a pattern of need picks (most teams draft this way).

1. EJ clearly need

2. They said they wanted more offense and that it was a passing league, so they go out and spend a boatload of picks beefing up the WR corp

3. The LB corp they inherited from Hailey/Nix era was terrible, so they draft LBs

4. They had terrible guard play last year so they draft a guard this year.

All of these are consistent with what they were doing in FA, where I'm not aware of teams going "bpa"

The only clear exception I see is Cyrus, where they took a flyer on a player with injury concern that kept him out of Rd1. Clearly not Darbys situation.

And here's what NFL.com said about Darby selection:

"Buffalo's first pick of the draft had Rex Ryan's fingerprints all over it as the Bills selected athletic cornerback Ronald Darby with the No. 50 pick Friday night.

Without a first-round pick, the Bills used their principal selection to add a player with high upside who could become a playmaker at the most important position in Ryan's defense."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490071/article/buffalo-bills-select-cb-ronald-darby-with-no-50-pick

I agree with them, and it sure sounds like need to me

Well thought out post. So what you're saying is, like me, you were not privy to their draft board. Therefore, you really have no idea who was a "need pick" versus "BPA."

Rex doesn't draft.

This is all kind of random. These teams also had great QBs, O-lines, TEs, and LBs-- all positions that we had greater needs for on draft day than CB.

And, who says we don't draft BPA? Not Whaley.

Here's something I found from Whaley's draft day press conference:

Q: Rex has said it, you have said it--you’re obviously taking the best guy, but having it be a cornerback must be a bonus.

A: Well three factors: one we said at the beginning of this thing that we were going to take the best player and he was the highest rated player on the board. Two, yes the fact that we can take a corner every year. And three, with the additions the other teams have made this draft in our division, we need to keep up with the arms race, but most importantly we think this guy is a heck of a football player.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I like McKelvin too ...always have. But he's not shutdown. No opposing team game plans against throwing against him. He's just not physical enough and is prone to mental mistakes.

not sure i agree.

He has always been near the ball. I mean i have seen him make a mistake or two thinking he had some help. But he is a man cover guy just like Gilmore. he can chip.

Just ask Donnie what he thinks of him.

I too wondered about the Darby pick. Thought it might be indulgent. But when you think on it. This kid might turn out to be great and they gt him in the second.

they wanted to move graham inside . so Darby is the bU to either Leo or SG. you gotta have a BU on the edge who can play. Brooks has not been as good as some have hoped. Good plays mixed with worrisome plays, although he did improve last year.

The stats are going to be spread around as are the plays, Thats the nature of situational football.

This is all kind of random. These teams also had great QBs, O-lines, TEs, and LBs-- all positions that we had greater needs for on draft day than CB.

Q: Rex has said it, you have said it--you’re obviously taking the best guy, but having it be a cornerback must be a bonus.

A: Well three factors: one we said at the beginning of this thing that we were going to take the best player and he was the highest rated player on the board. Two, yes the fact that we can take a corner every year. And three, with the additions the other teams have made this draft in our division, we need to keep up with the arms race, but most importantly we think this guy is a heck of a football player.

I think you have summed it up nicely here Rocky :thumbsup:

Q: Rex has said it, you have said it--youre obviously taking the best guy, but having it be a cornerback must be a bonus.

Like I said earlier teams say that and for the most part i don't buy it. But if you want to believe it was coincidence BPA in Rd2 just happened to be the most important piece in Rex's defense, and Rd3 the gaping hole on the Oline, fine with me. Edited by JTSP

Like I said earlier teams say that and for the most part i don't buy it. But if you want to believe it was coincidence BPA in Rd2 just happened to be the most important piece in Rex's defense, and Rd3 the gaping hole on the Online, fine with me.

"BPA" and "position of need" are not independent of each other on a team's draft board. When they say they took BPA they don't mean BPA on Mel kiper's big board. They mean BPA on their own draft board. Which may differ from other teams' draft boards because the players are ranked there on a number of factors. One of which is "need" for that particular roster. Another big factor is system specific. There is also a FA board like this - and why a guy like Charles Clay was on the top of the Bills FA board but not others. He fit their system perfectly. Ditto Ron Darby, ditto John Miller.