Dez Bryant to hold out into the season? (Update - Cha-Ching)

So if a player sits out and then comes back for however many games they need, can the team not play them or prevent them from "accruing" a season?

the Browns sort of did this with Josh Gordon. He was supposed to be able to play 6 games after he came back from suspension and that would count as an accrued year. But they made him inactive For the last game when they were out of the playoff hunt (and he did something stupid like skip a workout, or was late) This was prior to knowing he would be suspended for all of 2015. But it led to him having a longer amount of time before becoming a FA.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if a player sits out and then comes back for however many games they need, can the team not play them or prevent them from "accruing" a season?

if they sign and are healthy they are on the 53 once they sign the tag and report.

they could cut him.

the Browns sort of did this with Josh Gordon. He was supposed to be able to play 6 games after he came back from suspension and that would count as an accrued year. But they made him inactive For the last game when they were out of the playoff hunt (and he did something stupid like skip a workout, or was late) This was prior to knowing he would be suspended for all of 2015. But it led to him having a longer amount of time before becoming a FA.

it also wasnt just inactive, he was suspended - correct? thats a MAJOR distinction in the discussion.

if they sign and are healthy they are on the 53 once they sign the tag and report.

they could cut him.

it also wasnt just inactive, he was suspended - correct? thats a MAJOR distinction in the discussion.

cant remember, tbh. I just remember the dust up over them preventing him from an accrued season.

@DezBryant: As much as I love football...on my beautiful babies.. I apologize #cowboynation but I will not be there if no deal #fact

Edited by YoloinOhio

I doubt it. I think he will play just because he runs the risk of becoming rusty if he doesnt play (Then again, if he does play, he could get injured). Plus, if he doesnt play, he becomes a devalued commodity since it would not only reflect poorly on his character and it means he hasnt played in over a year, so he might not get all of the pay day he wants in the end (I mean, for sure he's gonna make huge $$$, but the whole reason he is holding out is because he wants max value in his contract and he puts that at risk if he's seen as volatile/rusty before next season)

I doubt it. I think he will play just because he runs the risk of becoming rusty if he doesnt play (Then again, if he does play, he could get injured). Plus, if he doesnt play, he becomes a devalued commodity since it would not only reflect poorly on his character and it means he hasnt played in over a year, so he might not get all of the pay day he wants in the end (I mean, for sure he's gonna make huge $$$, but the whole reason he is holding out is because he wants max value in his contract and he puts that at risk if he's seen as volatile/rusty before next season)

When has that ever played out that a player of his caliber becomes a "devalued" commodity by sitting out?

Good for Dez. He deserves it

Good for him for calling their bluff as well

CBF

dez has not earned those guarantees given his erratic and immature behavior. they still have to babysit the guy there.

hes a great player worthy of premier compensation but i would have a ton of outs built into that contract in case they are needed.

Good for Dez. He deserves it

Good for him for calling their bluff as well

CBF

Personally I think they called his. He didn't get Megatron money and that deal is 3 years old. Hell, Mike Wallace is getting $12.5MM/yr.

Usually when a big time elite player comes up for contract it eclipses the guy before him. Didn't happen to Dez.

Personally I think they called his. He didn't get Megatron money and that deal is 3 years old. Hell, Mike Wallace is getting $12.5MM/yr.

Usually when a big time elite player comes up for contract it eclipses the guy before him. Didn't happen to Dez.

he did get more gtd than Mega. I think his was 43m