How Much $$ Is To Much $$

I don't think many posters in this thread understand what the word "owner" means.

And as for capping individual players salaries, that means that we couldn't offer anything more than teams like San Diego, Miami, New York, or New Orleans. Talk about your competitive disadvantage.

I don't think many posters in this thread understand what the word "owner" means.

And as for capping individual players salaries, that means that we couldn't offer anything more than teams like San Diego, Miami, New York, or New Orleans. Talk about your competitive disadvantage.

I think most people here understand the concept of "owner". Just a few seem to think they are on that list.

Apparently some still haven't fully grasped that the Bills now have one of the rich owners.

Apparently some still haven't fully grasped that the Bills now have one of the rich owners.

Isn't it great to be on the right end of that deal for a change??!!

Yup. Can't raise that salary cap fast enough now! :thumbsup:

This is actually a very big worry for me. How often does building a team through expensive free agents work? Take out the rare instances where a franchise QB was gained (like Brees in NO) and the answer is "pretty much never". I'm all for keeping our own and supplementing that through moderately priced and cheaper FAs, but we've burned some real money on FAs that aren't proven difference makers. For the record, Mario is certainly a proven difference maker. A team can make a move like that occasionally as long as they get it right, but they can't make it standard practice to fill every hole. It starts with drafting and I don't see great drafting. The best addition the last few years was Watkins and it took 2 firsts and a fourth to get him. How many other holes got filled with a quality player via the draft these past three years?

All I see is Woods and Kiko. I like Woods, but we just added Harvin for one year at $6M. I loved Kiko, but he got traded away for a piece of the Shady deal. Then we paid Shady like a FA. Sigh. I'd love to think that this won't come back and bite us in the ass, but I expect that it will.

Edited by BarleyNY

This is actually a very big worry for me. How often does building a team through expensive free agents work? Take out the rare instances where a franchise QB was gained (like Brees in NO) and the answer is "pretty much never". I'm all for keeping our own and supplementing that through moderately priced and cheaper FAs, but we've burned some real money on FAs that aren't proven difference makers. For the record, Mario is certainly a proven difference maker. A team can make a move like that occasionally as long as they get it right, but they can't make it standard practice to fill every hole. It starts with drafting and I don't see great drafting. The best addition the last few years was Watkins and it took 2 firsts and a fourth to get him. How many other holes got filled with a quality player via the draft these past three years?

All I see is Woods and Kiko. I like Woods, but we just added Harvin for one year at $6M. I loved Kiko, but he got traded away for a piece of the Shady deal. Then we paid Shady like a FA. Sigh. I'd love to think that this won't come back and bite us in the ass, but I expect that it will.

Valid concerns, but I would say our last few drafts have been as good as anybody's. Moving forward I feel good about it, too.

As tricky as playing the FA game is, we can't avoid it in today's NFL. Having Pegula around is a very nice luxury.

I wouldn't mind seeing some type of system implemented that supplimented the salary cap where if a player is say is ranked in the top 10% at his position, he can be paid a bonus or something by the owner of his current team that doesn't count against the salary cap. If you sign bad free agents to huge contracts it doesn't help you, but if you do have that rare player that is better than all of the others at his position, allow the team to improve his odds to keep him by being able to give him more money but not kill yourself wit hregards to the cap. You can put limits on the number of players per team you can give extra money to etc.

Valid concerns, but I would say our last few drafts have been as good as anybody's. Moving forward I feel good about it, too.

As tricky as playing the FA game is, we can't avoid it in today's NFL. Having Pegula around is a very nice luxury.

I should add that having an owner who is wealthy enough to be able to care much more about winning rhan making a profit is great. You are right that the Pegulas are very welcome in that respect. But that doesn't mean spending in FA like they have recently is the answer. History shows us that it isn't. I disagree about the recent drafts having been "as good as anybody's". They haven't been good and filling holes left by them is the reason the Bills have been spending so much.

I should add that having an owner who is wealthy enough to be able to care much more about winning rhan making a profit is great. You are right that the Pegulas are very welcome in that respect. But that doesn't mean spending in FA like they have recently is the answer. History shows us that it isn't. I disagree about the recent drafts having been "as good as anybody's". They haven't been good and filling holes left by them is the reason the Bills have been spending so much.

I look at their offseason moves more as " What the hell.....lets go for it!" vs. having glaring holes to plug. The Harvin signing in particular.

I look at their offseason moves more as " What the hell.....lets go for it!" vs. having glaring holes to plug. The Harvin signing in particular.

Without a quality QB on the roster why go all out everywhere else - except the OL, that is? I see them getting into the playoffs, but not seriously threatening to make it to the Super Bowl.