June Movies: Jurassic World, Inside Out, Ted 2, and Spy

The Summer Season will be in full swing with the month of June starting up. With schools closing that usually means more variety. Action and comedy will be at the forefront, with a revival of a franchise being the big attraction this month.

In June of 1993, Steven Spielberg & Universal brought "Jurassic Park" to the big screen. The result was phenomenal. Dinosaurs became cool again, Jeff Goldblum became a mainstream movie star, the bar of special effects became raised even higher, and we experienced the first movie to be presented in digital sound. 22 years and 2 sequels later, this franchise gets a rebirth with, "Jurassic World". Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park, Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. After 10 years of operation and visitor rates declining, in order to fulfill a corporate mandate, a new attraction is created to re-spark visitor's interest, which backfires horribly. Starring Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ty Simpkins & Judy Greer.

We went all of 2014 without a Disney/Pixar movie. Well the drought is over, and we not only get 1, but 2 Disney/Pixar movies this year. The first is, "Inside Out". After a girl moves to a new home, her emotions are plunged into chaos as they compete for control of her mind. Starring the voices of Diane Lane, Rashida Jones, Amy Poehler, Kyle MacLachlan, Mindy Kaling & Bill Hader.

Seth MacFarlane directs and voices "Ted 2". Newlywed couple Ted and Tami-Lynn want to have a baby, but in order to qualify to be a parent, Ted will have to prove he's a person in a court of law. Starring Mark Wahlberg, Liam Neeson, Amanda Seyfried & Morgan Freeman.

In "Spy", A desk-bound CIA analyst volunteers to go undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent diabolical global disaster. Starring Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, Jude Law & Jason Statham.

Getting the big screen treatment is, "Entourage". Movie star Vincent Chase, together with his boys Eric, Turtle, and Johnny, are back - and back in business with super agent-turned-studio head Ari Gold on a risky project that will serve as Vince's directorial debut. Starring Adrian Grenier, Kevin Connolly, Jerry Ferrara & Kevin Dillon.

"Insidious: Chapter 3" is, A prequel set before the haunting of the Lambert family that reveals how gifted psychic Elise Rainier reluctantly agrees to use her ability to contact the dead in order to help a teenage girl who has been targeted by a dangerous supernatural entity. Starring Dermot Mulroney, Stefanie Scott, Angus Sampson & Leigh Whannell.

Finally, in "Dope", Life changes for Malcolm, a geek who's surviving life in a tough neighborhood, after a chance invitation to an underground party leads him and his friends into a Los Angeles adventure. Starring Zoe Kravitz, Forest Whitaker, Kiersey Clemons, & Keith Stanfield.

Calendar with Trailers.

6/5

"Entorauge": entouragemovie.com/#/

"Spy": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/spy

"Insidious: Chapter 3": http://www.insidiouschapter3.com/

6/12

"Jurassic World": http://www.jurassicworld.com/

6/19

"Inside Out": http://movies.disney.com/inside-out/

"Dope": http://www.youaredope.com/

6/26

"Ted 2": http://www.ted2-movie.com/ww/

That's all for now. I will have the Independent Film posted later. Until then.....Enjoy!

This list seems oddly short this month.

That happens during some of these summer months. Studios are trying to avoid overload at the theatres this time of year for fear that a big budgeted movie will get overlooked or not do as well due to over-saturation.

Warner Bros. already moved "Pan" back from July to October.

Edited by Mark Vader

That happens during some of these summer months. Studios are trying to avoid overload at the theatres this time of year for fear that a big budgeted movie will get overlooked or not do as well due to over-saturation.

Warner Bros. already moved "Pan" back from July to October.

Is that the long-awaited and highly-anticipated biography about Zamfir, master of the pan flute?

Is that the long-awaited and highly-anticipated biography about Zamfir, master of the pan flute?

Zamfir's 3rd album was a masterpiece.

I'm all in on pixels, they are marketing the crap out of it during nba playoffs.

Sandman gonna strike it rich again, smart move adding game of thrones actors like Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage.

Curious to hear what people think about Jurassic park and Entourage.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I'm all in on pixels, they are marketing the crap out of it during nba playoffs.

Sandman gonna strike it rich again, smart move adding game of thrones actors like Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage.

"Pixels" could very well be the surprise hit of the summer.

I smell a big bomb in the making with Pixels... but of course the definition of what determines a bomb has changed. It'll make money at home, but far more abroad. I really hope to be wrong because I enjoy the cast and think the movie sounds fun, but something smells off. We'll find out soon enough.

Saw Entourage yesterday. If you have realistic expectations going in, you'll enjoy it. It was pretty much what the show was. Maybe nostalgia was why I enjoyed it so much, but it was just a fun mindless watch.

I'm going to try to see "Dope" soon, that looks like it's going to be good.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

• 2 weeks later...

All the Jurassic movies have absurd moments. That's what helps make them fun.

The first one remains a classic, one of the most fundamentally awe inspiring cinematic experiences of my generation. The sequels have largely been terrible, until this one. I would probably rank them 1....................................................4......................................................................2, 3.

An interesting conversation cropped up the other day. I was in a meeting with a producer and the conversation turned to casting. Is Chris Pratt really, and truly, an A list movie star now? Or, has he just benefited from being in two movies with built in franchises (Guardians and JW)? That seems to be the debate right now, though I land on the side of him being great (I'd put him in anything I did).

The first one remains a classic, one of the most fundamentally awe inspiring cinematic experiences of my generation. The sequels have largely been terrible, until this one. I would probably rank them 1....................................................4......................................................................2, 3.

An interesting conversation cropped up the other day. I was in a meeting with a producer and the conversation turned to casting. Is Chris Pratt really, and truly, an A list movie star now? Or, has he just benefited from being in two movies with built in franchises (Guardians and JW)? That seems to be the debate right now, though I land on the side of him being great (I'd put him in anything I did).

As much as I love Jurassic Park, I do not think of it as a great movie, but I understand why others do.

I would rank 3 ahead of 2. I thought 3 was a lot of fun. 2"The Lost World" could very well be Spielberg's worst movie ever. Goldblum, Pete Postlethwaite & the San Diego rampage can't save that mess.

As for Chris Pratt; no love for "The Lego Movie"?

As much as I love Jurassic Park, I do not think of it as a great movie, but I understand why others do.

I would rank 3 ahead of 2. I thought 3 was a lot of fun. 2"The Lost World" could very well be Spielberg's worst movie ever. Goldblum, Pete Postlethwaite & the San Diego rampage can't save that mess.

As for Chris Pratt; no love for "The Lego Movie"?

Oh, I loved Lego Movie. It made a fortune too, but didn't come up in the conversation. Good call. It'll be curious to see what happens when / if Pratt does a small movie where he's the draw. To see if it carries over.

Unrelated to Pratt, here's some fun with Arnold:

Edited by GreggyT

I've only seen him in Guardians of the Galaxy, but he was definitely the one carrying that movie.

I've only seen him in Guardians of the Galaxy, but he was definitely the one carrying that movie.

I agree. He was great in it and I'm looking forward to the second one. It just was surprising to me to hear some pretty well respected producers debating Pratts status -- has to be infuriating for a guy like Pratt, someone who's on a huge run of success and still has to deal with questions about if it's him or the material.

I hate the thought of anyone redoing Indy, but I'd give Pratt a pass.