June Movies: Jurassic World, Inside Out, Ted 2, and Spy

I've only seen him in Guardians of the Galaxy, but he was definitely the one carrying that movie.

I agree. He was great in it and I'm looking forward to the second one. It just was surprising to me to hear some pretty well respected producers debating Pratts status -- has to be infuriating for a guy like Pratt, someone who's on a huge run of success and still has to deal with questions about if it's him or the material.

I hate the thought of anyone redoing Indy, but I'd give Pratt a pass.

I love Guardians of the Galaxy, but I somewhat disagree that Pratt carried that movie. He was great, yes, but that movie was more than just him.

That is surprising if people are questioning Pratt's status. He was good in "Zero Dark Thirty", which was before all these other big movies.

Having him as Indy is fine, that doesn't mean they are re-making the previous Indy movies.

I love Guardians of the Galaxy, but I somewhat disagree that Pratt carried that movie. He was great, yes, but that movie was more than just him.

That is surprising if people are questioning Pratt's status. He was good in "Zero Dark Thirty", which was before all these other big movies.

Having him as Indy is fine, that doesn't mean they are re-making the previous Indy movies.

It surprised me too. Though the debate wasn't about his talent, it was about his ability to fill a theater with his name power alone.

It surprised me too. Though the debate wasn't about his talent, it was about his ability to fill a theater with his name power alone.

That's an interesting point.

"Guardians" & "Jurassic" can be sold on premise not star power. However, "Guardians" was an enormous risk, and it paid off handsomely.

I think that Pratt's face has become recognizable enough to sell on his own.

The challenge will be when they want him in something that is not a "mindless popcorn" film, and want him in a "serious Oscar" or "snooty independent" film as a lead.

That's an interesting point.

"Guardians" & "Jurassic" can be sold on premise not star power. However, "Guardians" was an enormous risk, and it paid off handsomely.

I think that Pratt's face has become recognizable enough to sell on his own.

The challenge will be when they want him in something that is not a "mindless popcorn" film, and want him in a "serious Oscar" or "snooty independent" film as a lead.

Exactly, that will be the ultimate test for his drawing power. And you're also right about Guardians being a risk, it was. The question a lot of people asked, and still ask, is if the success of Guardians was inevitable because of Feige's (head of Marvel) vision / track record for their universe, could Starlord have been played by anyone and had the same success. It's obviously an unfair question to ask and one without any sort of definitive answer, but now people are asking it again after Jurassic World. The guy's in two of the biggest movies of the past couple years and the industry can't tell if he's a "movie star" or not. I happen to think he is, but as a writer I'm used to my opinion not counting.

He's got a bunch of sequels up next (Guardians, JW, Lego) -- all of which should be big hits, Guardians in particular looks really promising so far -- so I'm not sure when he'll try to do a smaller movie, but it'll happen.

Edited by GreggyT

After a whole year without them, Disney/Pixar comes back to movie theatres and flexes it's muscles, with "Inside Out".

With an underwhelming "Brave" and a decent but not spectacular "Monsters University" as their last outings, Disney/Pixar needed to show us that they still can deliver something brilliant, clever, and outstanding. "Inside Out" delivers on all of those. This reminds us of the brilliance of recent hits like "Wall-E", "Up", & "Toy Story 3".

See "Inside Out", you will love it.

Bring on "The Good Dinosaur"!

Here are this month's Independent Films.

John Cusack stars in "Love & Mercy". In the 1960s, Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson struggles with emerging psychosis as he attempts to craft his avant-garde pop masterpiece. In the 1980s, he is a broken, confused man under the 24-hour watch of shady therapist Dr. Eugene Landy. Also starring Paul Dano, Elizabeth Banks & Paul Giamatti.

Thomas Haden Church stars in "Max". A dog that helped US Marines in Afghanistan returns to the U.S. and is adopted by his handler's family after suffering a traumatic experience. Also starring Josh Wiggins, Luke Kleintank & Lauren Graham.

Alan Rickman directs and stars in "A Little Chaos". Two talented landscape artists become romantically entangled while building a garden in King Louis XIV's palace at Versailles. Also starring Kate Winslet & Stanley Tucci.

Benicio Del Toro & Josh Hutcherson star in "Escobar: Paradise Lost". In Colombia, a young surfer meets the woman of his dreams - and then he meets her uncle, Pablo Escobar.

In "Me and Earl and The Dying Girl", High schooler Greg, who spends most of his time making parodies of classic movies with his co-worker Earl, finds his outlook forever altered after befriending a classmate who has just been diagnosed with cancer. Starring Thomas Mann, RJ Cyler, Olivia Cooke & Nick Offerman.

Finally in the documentary "Batkid Begins", On one day, in one city, the world comes together to grant one 5 year old cancer patient his wish. Batkid Begins looks at the 'why' of this flash phenomenon.

Calendar with Trailers.

Note: These dates are for Exclusive or Limited Release. These movies may appear in your area at a later date.

6/5

"Love & Mercy": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi157462809?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

6/12

"Me and Earl and The Dying Girl": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1340911641?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

6/26

"Max": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3303452953?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"A Little Chaos": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3517951513?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_2

"Escobar: Paradise Lost": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3094523929?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Batkid Begins": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1089253401?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_2

That's all for now. I'll have the July Movies up soon. Until then.....Enjoy!