What do you collect?

whats wrong with tag. i use that.

Old timepieces made by Edouard Heuer are cool.

When they got bought out by the TAG group and became "TAG-Heuer" they lost the plot.

They use off the shelf ETA movements and are considered overly exposed, overly marketed timepieces lacking in horological quality but big on advertising budgets. At least by watch purists.

That's what's wrong with them!

At least according to watch snobs, like me!

The resale value on a TAG will be minimal.

A solid recommendation I would give any budding watch enthusiast on a budget is an Omega Speedmaster moon watch.

Great chronograph with real pedigree, history, and a fairly strong resale value.

If the budget is bigger, you can't do better than a Rolex Submariner--arguably the best sports watch on the planet for the last half century and more. With rock solid resale value to boot.

Tudor has recently made a comeback to the N.American market and I'm big on them as well. They are the "off" brand of Rolex; all work is done in house at Rolex in Switzerland, but the movements are outsourced from ETA.

Lovely watches with brilliant cases for a fairly cheap price...at least by the standards of fine Swiss timepieces.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a big collector. Comics, cards, books, magazines, games. Though I still have a lot of my old collections(15,000 comics, 1,500 books etc) I only collect in a very limited fashion now.

When they got bought out by the TAG group and became "TAG-Heuer" they lost the plot.

They use off the shelf ETA movements and are considered overly exposed, overly marketed timepieces lacking in horological quality but big on advertising budgets. At least by watch purists.

A solid recommendation I would give any budding watch enthusiast on a budget is an Omega Speedmaster moon watch.

Great chronograph with real pedigree, history, and a fairly strong resale value.

If the budget is bigger, you can't do better than a Rolex Submariner--arguably the best sports watch on the planet for the last half century and more. With rock solid resale value to boot.

Tudor has recently made a comeback to the N.American market and I'm big on them as well. They are the "off" brand of Rolex; all work is done in house at Rolex in Switzerland, but the movements are outsourced from ETA.

Lovely watches with brilliant cases for a fairly cheap price...at least by the standards of fine Swiss timepieces.

I'm thinking of adding an Omega "Moon" watch, but the lack of saphire scares me. (I understand why the astronauts couldn't use glass, of course, but I'm not flying into space anytime soon! :))

Seriously? Are we talking full automatic or modified?

What is the FMV on one these days?

I see these guys firing MG-42s on Youtube and my mouth waters.

I found a company in Ohio that builds semi auto models. They go for 4,300$ . Big nope there.

I'm thinking of adding an Omega "Moon" watch, but the lack of saphire scares me. (I understand why the astronauts couldn't use glass, of course, but I'm not flying into space anytime soon! :))

You can get it with sapphire too and with the transparent case back. That's probably the one to get but collectors do love the originals with the hesalite crystal and SS back.

Check out model 311.30.42.30.01.006 at the website.

I found a company in Ohio that builds semi auto models. They go for 4,300$ . Big nope there.

thanks for info. Pricey sucker!

Edited by Stopthepain

Thanks for the info.

Your omega reccomendation is 3500 bucks. No thanks.

1000 is the most I spend on a watch. But then again, Im not a watch enthusiast.

Thanks for the info.

Your omega reccomendation is 3500 bucks. No thanks.

1000 is the most I spend on a watch. But then again, Im not a watch enthusiast.

That's certainly fair enough.

Don't overlook the secondary market though if on a budget.

If the budget is a grand and less, have a look at names like Oris. Still relatively high quality Swiss watches, but with off the shelf ETA movements with prices under $1,000.