Polian critical of Bills not drafting a QB

John Elway is still the highest rated prospect ever. As in...

Ever.

GO BILLS!!!

Andrew Luck probably is the next highest rated qb prospect, I think? Where Luck may eventually surpass Elway is his mastery of the intellectual side of the game. Although Peyton lacks the arm strength and athleticism of Elway PM is better at reading defenses. I would rate Elway ahead of Peyton in the pantheon of qbs.

The teams that Elway made it to the SB with were very pedestrian. He elevated those teams to heights they had no business being at. He was a player that I am very glad finally won a SB, even though at that time he was a shadow of what he used to be

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did, virtually, the entire offensive side of the ball in that same span. But, I'm sure it was just EJ....

I was referring to his camp outings, which promptly rang alarm bells at OBD and Marrone never even considered putting him back in, even after Orton was playing poorly.

So which of these guys would you have wanted The Bills to pick?

1990 Tom Hodson 3rd Round

1991 Scott Zolak 4th Round

1993 Drew Bledsomuch 1st Round 1st pick overall

1994 Jay Walker 7th Round

1999 Michael Bishop 7th Round

2000 Marcia Brady 6th Round

2002 Rohan Davey 4th Round

2003 Kliff Kingsbury 6th Round

2005 Matt Cassel 7th Round (now where have I heard that name before?)

2008 Kevin O’Connell 3rd Round

2010 Zac Robinson – their FOURTH and LAST 7th Round Pick

2011 Ryan Mallett 3rd Round

2014 Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd Round

Oh... I KNOW! I KNOW! I've got the answer to this one!!! Drew Bledsoe and Marcia Brady!

Okay you geniuses - We had Drew and he shat the bed. We've got Cassel now too.

So what are these guys' records in the NFL? NewenGland* drafted a **** load of bad-azz "development" QBs... to what end?

1990 Tom Hodson 3rd Round

1991 Scott Zolak 4th Round

1994 Jay Walker 7th Round

1999 Michael Bishop 7th Round

2002 Rohan Davey 4th Round

2003 Kliff Kingsbury 6th Round

2008 Kevin O’Connell 3rd Round

2010 Zac Robinson – their FOURTH and LAST 7th Round Pick

2011 Ryan Mallett 3rd Round

2014 Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd Round

I remember "experts" comparing Tommy Hodson to Dan Marino with the quick release. Hodson did throw bullets at LSU

Yes you are, I never implied you weren't entitled to your opinion. I implied some members have terrible memories.

I like EJ as a person, he is a very polite, likable guy. However, as a player, not so much... I believe it is time to turn the page...

Imo

I don't think it is a matter of terrible memories as much as differing perceptions. There are many here who feel he showed enough potential early on to believe he deserves a chance to see if he could become a starting QB capable of leading this team. And there are also many here who share your opinion that it is time to move on from Manuel. While I certainly could never be accused of championing Manuel, I do put myself in the former group, not the latter. I think there were some extenuating circumstances surrounding his NFL development, and I truly do not know at this point if he has it or he doesn't. It is not the product of a bad memory or a lack of football acumen - it is based on my perception of the determining factors. We shall see soon enough. I will say this much: I am a very big fan of the offensive coaching staff now in place. If they determine it is time to move on from Manuel, I will have absolutely no problem with their decision.

Not to mention a busted up back, knee injury...and more than one pretty nasty concussion.

LOL, Bufftex, you are showing your ignorance because you don't even know what your talking about

Petty's only concussion was mild. He was practicing after clearing every concussion protocol within 2 days, never lost consciousness and was symptom free immediately after game. As for his back injury, it's 100% healed and is not a lingering issue, essentially a cracked bone. He actually played with the crack in the game he got it and could have played the following week but did the week after that. As for the knee, it was a mild sprain.

Man, the misinformation of this board is comical.

Isn't Young the perfect example of why we shouldn't give up on EJ yet? He was a disaster in TB.

If Petty was as good as EJ, why did he go 3 rounds later?

I had Petty as a late 2nd, early 3rd because he played QB. In 4th he was a steal.

As for Manuel, he shouldn't have been drafted until round 3.

I'd say they were / are comparable prospects coming out of college. I like Petty better because he is the more accurate passer.

LOL, Bufftex, you are showing your ignorance because you don't even know what your talking about

Petty's only concussion was mild. He was practicing after clearing every concussion protocol within 2 days, never lost consciousness and was symptom free immediately after game. As for his back injury, it's 100% healed and is not a lingering issue, essentially a cracked bone. He actually played with the crack in the game he got it and could have played the following week but did the week after that. As for the knee, it was a mild sprain.

Man, the misinformation of this board is comical.

I had Petty as a late 2nd, early 3rd because he played QB. In 4th he was a steal.

As for Manuel, he shouldn't have been drafted until round 3.

I'd say they were / are comparable prospects coming out of college. I like Petty better because he is the more accurate passer.

Name one QB like him that FELL in the draft that was ever any good. From your perceived 2nd to the 4th. Not a few picks in a round but a couple rounds. Guys like Brady didn't fall, except falling through the cracks, they were not considered top prospects. QBs that fall in the draft, like Matt Barkley, and Rob Johnson, etc, rated high but not drafted high, always suck. They fall for a reason, because scouts and GMs always push these QB guys higher than their value, not lower.

If Taylor is good, that would be great. Why did the Ravens let him go though? Wouldn't they have had the right to pick up his year five option? I don't know how it works for late round picks.

Interestingly, EJ and Taylor grew up in the same area (Virginia Beach-Hampton-Norfolk).

The Ravens had no say in the matter as Taylor was a UFA. He was drafted in the 6th round, so no 5th year option. Tyrod wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to start, so he said no to Baltimore and he said no to more money in Denver with his old OC.

John Elway.

I belatedly noticed that McBride smartly mentioned Steve Young. So I will add a younger version of John Elway before he was beaten up and battered.

John Elway is a good one. Tremendous prospect. Great all around. Did it all. Great pedigree. So I misspoke. But we have now increased the field to Andrew Luck, John Elway, Steve Young, and Russell Wilson. Not bad company to keep. ;)

Name one QB like him that FELL in the draft that was ever any good. From your perceived 2nd to the 4th. Not a few picks in a round but a couple rounds. Guys like Brady didn't fall, except falling through the cracks, they were not considered top prospects. QBs that fall in the draft, like Matt Barkley, and Rob Johnson, etc, rated high but not drafted high, always suck. They fall for a reason, because scouts and GMs always push these QB guys higher than their value, not lower.

:blink: How did he "fall"???? According to whom? What if every team had him graded as a fourth rounder all along (regardless of what Kiper et al. say)?? You have no idea. And what people on a message board might project (myself included) is beyond irrelevant.

The Ravens had no say in the matter as Taylor was a UFA. He was drafted in the 6th round, so no 5th year option. Tyrod wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to start, so he said no to Baltimore and he said no to more money in Denver with his old OC.

Thanks. I was unsure of the option situation.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think you are trying to confuse the argument. I wouldn't even know how to tell if a QB "fell" in a draft this year or in any year, how do you measure that when opinions on players vary so widely ?

I think he was a solid pick in 3rd round and a very good pick in the 4th. He has flaws, but, in the 4th, it was worth the risk.

I'm not trying to argue that Petty is the next great QB, I'm trying to argue that he has a reasonable probability of being a very good NFL QB. He certainly has more talent than the 3 guys on our roster.

I'm also trying to correct misinformation about his injuries and beg the Bills to stop ignoring the QB position in draft after draft.

Petty needs time to develop. He needs to learn pro style offenses and how to operate under center. His measurables are solid and he is definitely worth the risk of a 4th round pick.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I think you are trying to confuse the argument.

I think he was a solid pick in 3rd round and a very good pick in the 4th. He has flaws, but, in the 4th, it was worth the risk.

I'm not trying to argue that Petty is the next great QB, I'm trying to argue that he has a reasonable probability of being a very good NFL QB. He certainly has more talent than the 3 guys on our roster.

I'm also trying to correct misinformation about his injuries and beg the Bills to stop ignoring the QB position in draft after draft.

Petty needs time to develop. He needs to learn pro style offenses and how to operate under center. His measurables are solid and he is definitely worth the risk of a 4th round pick.

i will assume the teams know more about him than you or I do....So then why didn't qb needy teams like the Texans, Browns, Redskins take him in the 3rd if he has the potential to be a franchise qb? I'm just asking... If it's worth a 4th then it's worth a 3rd if he has that potential. Edited by YoloinOhio

i will assume the teams know more about him than you or I do....So then why didn't qb needy teams like the Texans, Browns, Redskins take him in the 3rd if he has the potential to be a franchise qb? I'm just asking... If it's worth a 4th then it's worth a 3rd if he has that potential.

Like I said, he's NOT NFL ready. He didn't play in an NFL style offense, EVER. So, you have to project and make some guesses. So, in the 3rd, I thought teams would take a shot. They didn't, why, I guess it's because they thought the risk/reward wasn't good enough.

I believe teams, like the Bills that do not have a franchise QB, should be taking one every other year. Legit prospects, not Tuel or Levi Brown. Guys they can develop for a couple of seasons and assess. The Bills did that two years ago with EJ and should have done it again this draft.

The Texans and Browns just drafted QB's last year, so, they need to give it another year.

As for Skins, I think they aren't ready to give up on RG3.

@buffalobills: GM Doug Whaley tells @nflnetwork why the Bills didn't draft a QB: http://t.co/tgLgM1r7T9http://t.co/A6XtfFPcx7

how would drafting a qb in the mid rounds indicate they are moving on from RG3?

I didn't mean to imply that.

I meant to imply that they are happy with RG3 as their starter, have McCoy and Cousins as backups, so they must believe they are set at that position.

I didn't mean to imply that.

I meant to imply that they are happy with RG3 as their starter, have McCoy and Cousins as backups, so they must believe they are set at that position.

i haven't heard they were happy with him as the starter. They picked up his option because it made sense financially but I thought things were very much in flux there.

I wouldnt have had an issue with drafting Petty if the value was there but we would have had to trade up to the top of the 4th or use our 3rd. I personally didn't think he was a good enough prospect. Kind of reminds me of Geno smith. Nice deep ball but poor accuracy underneath and intermediate. Chan will be developing him so should be interesting!

Edited by YoloinOhio

:blink: How did he "fall"???? According to whom? What if every team had him graded as a fourth rounder all along (regardless of what Kiper et al. say)?? You have no idea. And what people on a message board might project (myself included) is beyond irrelevant.

Falling doesn't only imply what Mel Kiper thinks. There are a lot of guys that know what they are talking about in the draft, like Mayock and Gil Brandt and Jeremiah and Charles Robinson and others. Plus, what I was referring to was guys like RJ and Barkely and now Petty, who look the part, are known to be top players, played at big schools, put up huge numbers, are thought to be the top prospects. You also know how QBs go up because they are so important. One could argue that a QB in the fourth is more like a fifth round pick for another position. That's "falling."

Falling doesn't only imply what Mel Kiper thinks. There are a lot of guys that know what they are talking about in the draft, like Mayock and Gil Brandt and Jeremiah and Charles Robinson and others. Plus, what I was referring to was guys like RJ and Barkely and now Petty, who look the part, are known to be top players, played at big schools, put up huge numbers, are thought to be the top prospects. You also know how QBs go up because they are so important. One could argue that a QB in the fourth is more like a fifth round pick for another position. That's "falling."

nassib too

i haven't heard they were happy with him as the starter. They picked up his option because it made sense financially but I thought things were very much in flux there.

I wouldnt have had an issue with drafting Petty if the value was there but we would have had to trade up to the top of the 4th or use our 3rd. I personally didn't think he was a good enough prospect. Kind of reminds me of Geno smith. Nice deep ball but poor accuracy underneath and intermediate. Chan will be developing him so should be interesting!

Besides being in NY (which is a big negative for any QB), Petty has a decent situation. He can learn from Fitz and Gailey and sit.

Not sure he has the right mental makeup to flourish in NYC, takes a unique person (like Eli, and even he takes shots despite winning 2 SB's).

Hundley and Grayson are in the best situations to develop.

Besides being in NY (which is a big negative for any QB), Petty has a decent situation. He can learn from Fitz and Gailey and sit.

Not sure he has the right mental makeup to flourish in NYC, takes a unique person (like Eli, and even he takes shots despite winning 2 SB's).

Hundley and Grayson are in the best situations to develop.

i think Gailey could integrate some Baylor concepts and spread for him

John Murphy just said the Bills had interest in Sean Mannion only from the qb class but he didn't fall to the value they had on him. Doesn't explain their last minute date night with Petty though.

Take that, Polian! Lol

@SalSports: A QB. From his agent.. RT @BergmansLaw QB @AustinTrainorQB is coming to @buffalobills for Rookie Minicamp NFL 2015! http://t.co/1tuhLXvJcs

Edited by YoloinOhio