Report from tonight's Fan Advisory Board meeting

I choose to think they're trying to alleviate the crush just before kickoff in an effort to make it easier for everyone to get to their seats in time. They're actually talking about bringing in bands and having discounted food - hardly money making efforts to me. They can't serve alcohol before noon so that's out.

I was going to say a discount on food/beverage compared to game time prices, though I know it's a tough sell.

My experience at VT was that everyone got to the games early, even without in stadium alcohol sales, because of the Enter Sandman pregame ritual. There is one rule, DO NOT MISS ENTER SANDMAN. So my suggestion would be some sort of pre-game hype ritual. Whether it's superficial or not doesn't matter if people believe they shouldn't miss it.

EDIT: Example. And this obviously happens before the teams take the field, so prior to coin toss, kickoff, etc.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say a discount on food/beverage compared to game time prices, though I know it's a tough sell.

My experience at VT was that everyone got to the games early, even without in stadium alcohol sales, because of the Enter Sandman pregame ritual. There is one rule, DO NOT MISS ENTER SANDMAN. So my suggestion would be some sort of pre-game hype ritual. Whether it's superficial or not doesn't matter if people believe they shouldn't miss it.

They need to bring back the jet/coptor flyovers - that was really the only cool pregame thing the Bills ever did

The idea of having a Sabres game the same weekend is valid for us out-of-towners. It often plays a big role in deciding what Bills games I drive in for. A perfect weekend is a Sabres/UB/Bills trifecta.

Speaking of UB, if I knew this meeting was coming up, I would have asked you to bring this up: With the long Bills roadtrip in November, what about bringing the UB-UMASS football game to RWS on Black Friday? Two years ago they had 26K show up for Bowling Green.

Seems like a waste of stadium space though doesn't it? Ub stadium can easily accommodate the "thanksgiving crowd", where as 20,000 in the Ralph would make it seem verrrrrryyyyy empty

Maybe in a few years if UB gets good and consistently draws large crowds this would be a very worthwhile option - but for now, I just don't know how it makes sense

The sabres/bills planned weekends is veryyyyy smart (from a planning standpoint for out of towners - but do the bills or sabres care from a ticket standpoint? Neither team had problems selling out games really - unless it's December and bills are irrelevant, but those days are hopefully over haha)

But that's becuase no beer sale at stadium, everybody is bringing in their own booze anyway LOL. College football games they only time I drink Jack and Coke.

The sabres/bills planned weekends is veryyyyy smart (from a planning standpoint for out of towners - but do the bills or sabres care from a ticket standpoint? Neither team had problems selling out games really - unless it's December and bills are irrelevant, but those days are hopefully over haha)

I don't think it was a coincidence last year there was a Sabre game almost every weekend there was a Bills home game. Crimminy, the Jets weekend was supposed to have two if I recall correctly. And I am fairly certain the Friday night game was the Rangers I ain't buying that was not on purpose.

There will NEVER be a reason I'll go into the stadium earlier. They want that because they want us to spend more money. Why on earth would I put down a great beer I paid $1.50 for an buy a $9.00 warm, flat buttwiper? Downtown stadium will be the end for me if the tailgating goes away. I enjoy the "community" of it and although I enjoy the games immensely, I'll invest in a huge TV and watch from the comfort of home and avoid what are sure to be major transportation problems.

Honestly, it's this type of profit seeking attitude that drives me nuts. My taxes cover your stadium, my season tickets help pay the Bills, everyone in our group buys a least a beer and food every game and you want me to come early now. Nope.

You may be correct on only wanting more money. I hope it has to do more with the fan experience. I made it to 2 games last year. My tickets are near the isle. It is frustrating to try to watch the first 5 minutes of the game when the isles are still full from the late fans trying to take their seats.

Seems like a waste of stadium space though doesn't it? Ub stadium can easily accommodate the "thanksgiving crowd", where as 20,000 in the Ralph would make it seem verrrrrryyyyy empty

Maybe in a few years if UB gets good and consistently draws large crowds this would be a very worthwhile option - but for now, I just don't know how it makes sense

26K, while small by RWS standards, was like the 2nd largest crowd for a UB game ever. For whatever reason Bills fans won't go to UB stadium, which is a dump, but they will come to RWS. Students are off and won't be on campus, and the Bills will have been gone a month. You don't think folks will be itching for a tailgate?

The idea of having a Sabres game the same weekend is valid for us out-of-towners. It often plays a big role in deciding what Bills games I drive in for. A perfect weekend is a Sabres/UB/Bills trifecta.

Speaking of UB, if I knew this meeting was coming up, I would have asked you to bring this up: With the long Bills roadtrip in November, what about bringing the UB-UMASS football game to RWS on Black Friday? Two years ago they had 26K show up for Bowling Green.

That's what I call a Shite Sandwich!!!!! B-)

Edited by stony

i would love for them to bring that back too. Why did they discontinue that?

Cutbacks, people complaining about how their tax money is being spent etc. You know, the type of people you wanna have a beer with at the game...

Guest performers from the Sundowner from Noon to 12:30

Seriously, great information Jay,

• Any additional info on the London tickets? I specifically asked about tickets for the game and my rep said I am on the list, but don't expect too much. I ended up buying them just in case, but if better become available I would consider upgrading.
  • Rebates on the card is a nice perk. 2% rebate covers 1 beer per seat, but its a start
  • Could they offer activities inside the gates to attract/induce people into the stadium earlier. For example, some stadiums have a larger footprint to allow for additional events/activities inside the security gates. It would mean expanding the gates outward to take up some of the parking lot, but it would allow them to screen people and have them in a beer garden/ band shell kind of area (look at NY Jets stadium and others) Within that area, have Billy Buffalo firing off a t-shirt cannon and mix in a signed jersey now and then and you would have some people coming in.
  • Call it the picnic zone, allow for an area adjacent to the stadium where you can be screened for security, but not sent to your seats (Miami stadium upper deck food courts) Have events (band/Pre game show). That way people waiting in line are distracted and those inside are entertained and have someplace to hang out instead of their seats (where they will be for 3 hours)

In terms of getting to seats earlier...maybe if they gave a voucher for $3 off at concession stand or 10% off of merchandise at Bills store if in line by 12:15 or something like that.

Good idea. Half off beer from vendors between 12pm and 12:45pm? That gets tricky....

Or, give one voucher for half off beer (or any food/beverage?) to each fan inside the gate by 12:30pm?... to be used by 12:45pm?

Ha... you read my mind!... So many drunken sprints into the stadium so as not to miss Enter Sandman.

There are many others in college football. Are there any similar pre-game rituals in the NFL? I think it would be difficult to fabricate one.

26K, while small by RWS standards, was like the 2nd largest crowd for a UB game ever. For whatever reason Bills fans won't go to UB stadium, which is a dump, but they will come to RWS. Students are off and won't be on campus, and the Bills will have been gone a month. You don't think folks will be itching for a tailgate?

Yea I hear you I think there would be interest - even from non UB alum/fans - but even 30,000 (or 40,000 if we wanna go hog wild) would seem like a lot of dead space at the Ralph....it is a good suggestion though

Yea I hear you I think there would be interest - even from non UB alum/fans - but even 30,000 (or 40,000 if we wanna go hog wild) would seem like a lot of dead space at the Ralph....it is a good suggestion though

Maybe they could borrow Jacksonville's tarps.