"Doofus To Genius", Belichick

Thamus

Good article by Sun-Times Columnist Greg Couch:

Doofus to Genius

Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Doofus to genius simply a super story

A few years ago, I spent three days at the New England Patriots' training complex trying to talk to Bill Belichick. As you surely know, today's debate is whether he might be the greatest football coach of all time. After all, the Patriots' 24-21 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday was Belichick's third Super Bowl title in four years. It's Lombardi and Landry, Halas and Belichick, coaching gods.

Reading through the article, it is amazing to see the transformation Belichick made! Columnist Couch makes a lot of reference to past history. I was particularly intrigued by his reference to the Kosar cutting and the Phlicox promotion.

Could this be what we might do with Bledsoe-Losman?:

He cut beloved quarterback Bernie Kosar in midseason in 1993, not bothering to pay respect, just mumbling something about diminishing skills. The Browns were 5-3 at the time and in a playoff run. Have you heard of Todd Philcox? Belichick chose him over Kosar. The Browns finished 7-9.

It gets you to wonder how all the stars aligned in the universe when Mo Lewis applied his spleen separating hit on DB?

I think Belichick caught "lightening in a bottle" with Brady?

How many times can this be repeated?

He also seems like a deeply vindictive man? I never knew about his past personality!

The funny thing is, I fear if teams start respecting what NE does, I don't think they can keep on winning. If teams continue to think lightly of NE or that they are "ripe for the picking", LOOK OUT!

This is NOT intended to start a heated debate, just a look at past history, relations, what not and get some perspective on the furture. Mainly, the Bills future.

Also the last paragraph:

Whatever. Belichick might deserve all the praise he's getting. And today, while he plays in a celebrity golf event, in Cleveland the Browns continue to try to dig out by naming new coach Romeo Crennel. His credential? He was an assistant, and even disciple, to the man himself, Bill Belichick.

Interesting, even know those past Browns are the Ravens now.

:w00t::lol::lol:

What ya think?

good old todd philcox, he was whiter than phil simms, but man he was good at syracuse!(not that the 2 are mutually exclusive...)

Good article by Sun-Times Columnist Greg Couch:

Doofus to Genius

Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Doofus to genius simply a super story

A few years ago, I spent three days at the New England Patriots' training complex trying to talk to Bill Belichick. As you surely know, today's debate is whether he might be the greatest football coach of all time. After all, the Patriots' 24-21 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday was Belichick's third Super Bowl title in four years. It's Lombardi and Landry, Halas and Belichick, coaching gods.

Reading through the article, it is amazing to see the transformation Belichick made!  Columnist Couch makes a lot of reference to past history.  I was particularly intrigued by his reference to the Kosar cutting and the Phlicox promotion.

He cut beloved quarterback Bernie Kosar in midseason in 1993, not bothering to pay respect, just mumbling something about diminishing skills. The Browns were 5-3 at the time and in a playoff run. Have you heard of Todd Philcox? Belichick chose him over Kosar. The Browns finished 7-9.

It gets you to wonder how all the stars aligned in the universe when Mo Lewis applied his spleen separating hit on DB?

I think Belichick caught "lightening in a bottle" with Brady?

How many times can this be repeated?

He also seems like a deeply vindictive man?  I never knew about his past personality!

The funny thing is, I fear if teams start respecting what NE does, I don't think they can keep on winning.  If teams continue to think lightly of NE or that they are "ripe for the picking", LOOK OUT!

This is NOT intended to start a heated debate, just a look at past history, relations, what not and get some perspective on the furture.  Mainly, the Bills future.

Also the last paragraph:

Whatever. Belichick might deserve all the praise he's getting. And today, while he plays in a celebrity golf event, in Cleveland the Browns continue to try to dig out by naming new coach Romeo Crennel. His credential? He was an assistant, and even disciple, to the man himself, Bill Belichick.

Interesting, even know those past Browns are the Ravens now.

:doh:  :lol:  :doh:

What ya think?

232810[/snapback]

I think the doofus is the guy who wrote the column. Talk about revisionist history!

Belichick spent 5 years as HC of the Cleveland Browns .He took a team that went 3-13 and improved them to 6-10, followed by two 7-9 seasons. In his 4th year he finished 11-5 and won a playoff game before bowing out of the playoffs. The next year, Modell destroyed the team when he announced on 11/6 that he was moving the team to Baltimore. The team was 4-5, 1 game out of 1st place and after the announcement went 1-6 the rest of the way, finishing 5-11. After the season Modell wanted someone with ties to Baltimore & fired BB, hiring ex-Colts (and Bills OC) Ted Marchibroda. The next season, minus the genius the Ravens went 4-12 showing it wasn't Belichick's fault. In addition, after being fired by the Ravens, Belichick rejoined Parcells in NE and helped get NE into the Super Bowl with Drew as QB-quite a feat. He then came to NY with Parcells with the stipulation that he would be HC of the Jets when Parcells stepped down-quite a lofty promise for a "failure". When Belichick wanted to move on to NE, Parcells stepped down & named Belichick HC-NY Jets. Since he didn't want Parcells shopping for his groceries, he resigned & waited out the process until NE gave the Jets a #1 pick in order to get BB to NE. Ever heard of a #1 in exchange for a failure? Neither have I! Belichick was a victim of Modell's move in Cleveland & both the NY Jets & NE Patriots didn't view him as a failure. So BB didn't get along that well with the press, so what! Ever listen to Parcells press conferences when things don't go right-I've never heard a more abraisive, sarcastic press conference than Parcells after a loss & noone ever called him a failure.

I think the doofus is the guy who wrote the column.  Talk about revisionist history!

Belichick spent 5 years as HC of the Cleveland Browns .He took a team that went 3-13 and improved them to 6-10, followed by two 7-9 seasons.  In his 4th year he finished 11-5 and won a playoff game before bowing out of the playoffs.  The next year, Modell destroyed the team when he announced on 11/6 that he was moving the team to Baltimore.  The team was 4-5, 1 game out of 1st place and after the announcement went 1-6 the rest of the way, finishing 5-11.  After the season Modell wanted someone with ties to Baltimore & fired BB, hiring ex-Colts (and Bills OC) Ted Marchibroda.  The next season, minus the genius the Ravens went 4-12 showing it wasn't Belichick's fault.  In addition, after being fired by the Ravens, Belichick rejoined Parcells in NE  and helped get NE into the Super Bowl with Drew as QB-quite a feat.  He then came to NY with Parcells with the stipulation that he would be HC of the Jets when Parcells stepped down-quite a lofty promise for a "failure".  When Belichick wanted to move on to NE, Parcells stepped down & named Belichick HC-NY Jets.  Since he didn't want Parcells shopping for his groceries, he resigned & waited out the process until NE gave the Jets a #1 pick in order to get BB to NE. Ever heard of a #1 in exchange for a failure?  Neither have I!  Belichick was a victim of Modell's move in Cleveland & both the NY Jets & NE Patriots didn't view him as a failure.  So BB didn't get along that well with the press, so what!  Ever listen to Parcells press conferences when things don't go right-I've never heard a more abraisive, sarcastic press conference than Parcells after a loss & noone ever called him a failure.

232837[/snapback]

Thanks Abany, n.y.! That is exactly the other side of the coin I wanted to read. You make many valid points.

5-11 to 4-12 is not much of a change. IMO, I don't think it does anything to prove one way or another.

What would he have done if DB didn't go down, would he have pulled the "Philcox trigger"? Or would he? He would have loved to! Would it have been successful? There is not doubt about it, people come together during tragic events (more than one had happened to the team and others).

The is no doubt he failed early.

It is a super story no doubt, Greg Couch makes no doubt about that. Don't look at it as negative.

It just shows you that mistakes can be made, I'd prefer it happen to other franchises and not the Bills.

I was particularly intrigued by his reference to the Kosar cutting and the Phlicox promotion.

He cut beloved quarterback Bernie Kosar in midseason in 1993

232810[/snapback]

Drew is NOT beloved in Buffalo. :doh::doh::lol:

Drew is NOT beloved in Buffalo.  :doh:  :doh:  :lol:

232928[/snapback]

:D:P

I knew someone was gonna mention that! I was was gonna expand on that when I clipped that segment.

I just thought I would stretch one of my threads, maybe approach 10 replies?

;):D

I just thought I would stretch one of my threads, maybe approach 10 replies?

232980[/snapback]

Make a bet. If your thread doesn't reach 10 replies, you'll eat an 11lb hamburger, cut off your nuts, then bake them in an oven before frying them, buy a minivan, watch an old movie, throw up in the huddle, drool over Halle Berry, trade Drew to Arizona, and streak over Hawaii!

Make a bet. If your thread doesn't reach 10 replies, you'll eat an 11lb hamburger, cut off your nuts, then bake them in an oven before frying them, buy a minivan, watch an old movie, throw up in the huddle, drool over Halle Berry, trade Drew to Arizona, and streak over Hawaii!

232990[/snapback]

No way man!

Trade DB to AZ was the straw that broke it!

:doh::doh:

Hey, you gotta do something, man. You can't feed your family on Superbowl rings.

233003[/snapback]

I detect sarcasm?

SB rings, Heisman Trophies, what not, they tend to end up in the darnest places after the years. What ever makes you happy?

Fans and players will always be at odds about those rings. What more do we as fans really have to cling to other than those championships? It sure the hell isn't the money? For some players, if the championships happen, they happen. One's needs and priorities vary?

:doh:

It is all "relative" :lol::D and how you define things? From "our" POV, things can really seem absurd. Can't it?

:doh:

The media in Cleveland HATED Belichick when he was here. Because he wasn't good for a quote, good for copy. Now, I'm seeing these very same writers and media people have to backpedal. They basically encouraged the fans to turn on Belichick, and when they did (esp. after he cut Bernie Kosar), there was really no chance for Belichick to succeed with the Browns. Even after they went 11-5 in 1994, you always had the feeling something was missing.

Belichick is a terrific coach, there's no doubt about that. However, he greatly underestimated Kosar's popularity in Cleveland when he cut Bernie. I know, I was here. That was a mistake, and he admits as much today. But, in retrospect, there was no denying that Kosar had lost two steps, and I see the very same thing with Bledsoe today.

Mike

There was a thread a while back that suggested Belichick sold his soul to the devil to turn into the "genius" he is today. I mean this guy was "Hank Bullough-stupid" in Cleveland. The guy couldn't find an NFL-caliber player in the draft if there was a blinking neon arrow pointing at one. And now he is making all the personel decisions! And it's not like he's right 70% or 80%, it's more like 99%!!

It sure makes one scratch their head.

PTR

I think the doofus is the guy who wrote the column.  Talk about revisionist history!

Belichick spent 5 years as HC of the Cleveland Browns .He took a team that went 3-13 and improved them to 6-10, followed by two 7-9 seasons.  In his 4th year he finished 11-5 and won a playoff game before bowing out of the playoffs.  The next year, Modell destroyed the team when he announced on 11/6 that he was moving the team to Baltimore.  The team was 4-5, 1 game out of 1st place and after the announcement went 1-6 the rest of the way, finishing 5-11.  After the season Modell wanted someone with ties to Baltimore & fired BB, hiring ex-Colts (and Bills OC) Ted Marchibroda.  The next season, minus the genius the Ravens went 4-12 showing it wasn't Belichick's fault.  In addition, after being fired by the Ravens, Belichick rejoined Parcells in NE  and helped get NE into the Super Bowl with Drew as QB-quite a feat.  He then came to NY with Parcells with the stipulation that he would be HC of the Jets when Parcells stepped down-quite a lofty promise for a "failure".  When Belichick wanted to move on to NE, Parcells stepped down & named Belichick HC-NY Jets.  Since he didn't want Parcells shopping for his groceries, he resigned & waited out the process until NE gave the Jets a #1 pick in order to get BB to NE. Ever heard of a #1 in exchange for a failure?  Neither have I!  Belichick was a victim of Modell's move in Cleveland & both the NY Jets & NE Patriots didn't view him as a failure.  So BB didn't get along that well with the press, so what!  Ever listen to Parcells press conferences when things don't go right-I've never heard a more abraisive, sarcastic press conference than Parcells after a loss & noone ever called him a failure.

232837[/snapback]

also, this doozy:

It's so easy to see things in black and white. For sure, Belichick is a failure-turned-success. But he did both to such extremes that you wonder how many other factors are at work. We're so lost in his success now that we forget about Cleveland.

They remember in Cleveland. Touchdown Tommy Vardell, Steve Everitt, Antonio Langham, Craig Powell. No one else remembers them.

for those who remember, antonio langham and steve everitt were *excellent* players for cleveland for a few years before injuries got to them. in fact, the bills were in hot pursuit of everitt because of hull's retirement and everitt's pro bowl caliber performance but he went to the eagles as a free agent (after which he ended up getting hurt). some reporters are just awful ...

There was a thread a while back that suggested Belichick sold his soul to the devil to turn into the "genius" he is today. I mean this guy was "Hank Bullough-stupid" in Cleveland. The guy couldn't find an NFL-caliber player in the draft if there was a blinking neon arrow pointing at one. And now he is making all the personel decisions! And it's not like he's right 70% or 80%, it's more like 99%!!

PTR

233282[/snapback]

[/quotes]

you're wrong, promo - in his prime, everitt was among the best centers in the league (along with d. dawson and stepnoski). langham was awesome for a couple of years as well. and let's not forget the late eric turner, who was the best safety in the league for a couple of seasons.

There was a thread a while back that suggested Belichick sold his soul to the devil to turn into the "genius" he is today.  I mean this guy was "Hank Bullough-stupid" in Cleveland.  The guy couldn't find an NFL-caliber player in the draft if there was a blinking neon arrow pointing at one.  And now he is making all the personel decisions!  And it's not like he's right 70% or 80%, it's more like 99%!!

PTR

233282[/snapback]

p.s. keenan mccardell was also a draftee of the browns in the belichick years