ok, need travel help again.......

I decided to go to Seattle next month for vacation. I've always wanted to visit the Pacific Northwest and since my beloved Boston Red Sox happen to be playing there the same time I have off makes it a no brainer! :thumbsup:

Anyone have any can't miss places to go while I'm there? I'm leaving next month for a week. I have Mt. ranier on my agenda. Maybe a boat ride to Bainbridge island. Definitely the Pike market and space needle are a must see. Anyone have any other places I should go? I'll be going alone so I can pretty much do what I want. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Hope all is well Westie!

Speaking of that area... We took our honeymoon there 20+ years ago. Everything you mentioned is gr8!

Also check out the lock between The Ship Canal and Lake Washington. They have underground/water of the fish ladder... Sorry, I couldn't resist... ;-) I will get the link to the Chitteden (Ballard) lock... It's in the Ballard neighborhood I think.

Catch a ferry to Victoria... It's gorgeous! Victoria, BC was the highlight of our trip... We also toured through WASH and BC to Banff, Jasper and then back again...

Simply gorgeous... Enjoy!

http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/LocksandDams/ChittendenLocks/FishLadder.aspx

Hope all is well Westie!

Speaking of that area... We took our honeymoon there 20+ years ago. Everything you mentioned is gr8!

Also check out the lock between The Ship Canal and Lake Washington. They have underground/water of the fish ladder... Sorry, I couldn't resist... ;-) I will get the link to the Chitteden (Ballard) lock... It's in the Ballard neighborhood I think.

Catch a ferry to Victoria... It's gorgeous! Victoria, BC was the highlight of our trip... We also toured through WASH and BC to Banff, Jasper and then back again...

Simply gorgeous... Enjoy!

http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/LocksandDams/ChittendenLocks/FishLadder.aspx

Thanks EII! I would love to visit BC. I'll have to add it to my list.

This appears to be where the Seattle Bills Backers meet for games.

http://www.highlinerpub.net/

Will have to check it out! I'll make sure I'm wearing my Bills stuff.

Victoria BC is OK but it takes a lot of time to get there/back. It's on Vancouver Island, so it's a boat trip. Haven't lived in Seattle for 12 years but if there's a direct boat from Seattle, it's 4 hours each way. If you take the Washington State ferry from Anacortes, they used to go to Victoria, and then turn around and go back, so only 1 round trip a day, meaning overnight there. Don't go without a hotel reservation. It's nice, it's quaint, it's British, much like Niagara Falls Ont., without Clifton Hill. And because it's Canada, bring your passport.

Bainbridge Island Ferry is OK but go as a "walk on." There's not much to see there, and if you take a car, you'll pay through the nose.

Mt Ranier is very nice but it's a national park, and a wilderness area. If you're into back country hiklng, it's nice, but it can have temperature/weather swings, so be prepared for that.

Expect rain/drizzle. That's why we left. August & September are beautiful but the other 10 months are drizzle & fog followed by fog & drizzle. Very much a damp marine type climate.

Vancouver BC is prettier than Seattle, but it's a drive up I-5. Instead of the Peace Bridge, they have the Peace Arch, BUT where the peace Bridge has adequate inspection lanes, Blaine WA does not. Be prepared for big delays crossing into Canada there. If you get there, I always felt that the BC ferry system was much nicer than the Washington State system.

The weather is marginal, but there are a lot of great restaurants & bars, so you will enjoy it.

• 1 year later...

How did the trip go?

LoL... This was 2015... And it was on your mind? :nana:

You are dedicated mead! :D

Victoria BC is OK but it takes a lot of time to get there/back. It's on Vancouver Island, so it's a boat trip. Haven't lived in Seattle for 12 years but if there's a direct boat from Seattle, it's 4 hours each way. If you take the Washington State ferry from Anacortes, they used to go to Victoria, and then turn around and go back, so only 1 round trip a day, meaning overnight there. Don't go without a hotel reservation. It's nice, it's quaint, it's British, much like Niagara Falls Ont., without Clifton Hill. And because it's Canada, bring your passport.

Bainbridge Island Ferry is OK but go as a "walk on." There's not much to see there, and if you take a car, you'll pay through the nose.

Mt Ranier is very nice but it's a national park, and a wilderness area. If you're into back country hiklng, it's nice, but it can have temperature/weather swings, so be prepared for that.

Expect rain/drizzle. That's why we left. August & September are beautiful but the other 10 months are drizzle & fog followed by fog & drizzle. Very much a damp marine type climate.

Vancouver BC is prettier than Seattle, but it's a drive up I-5. Instead of the Peace Bridge, they have the Peace Arch, BUT where the peace Bridge has adequate inspection lanes, Blaine WA does not. Be prepared for big delays crossing into Canada there. If you get there, I always felt that the BC ferry system was much nicer than the Washington State system.

The weather is marginal, but there are a lot of great restaurants & bars, so you will enjoy it.

We also did Rainier on our honeymoon... Early June 1994, nothing but incredibly clear skies for the days we were in Seattle. Met up with some friends that showed us around and even they were amazed how clear the skies were for the days we were there.

We did the Seattle to Vancouver/Victoria... Central BC to Alberta, Banff to Jasper and then back through WA State, Yakima Valley to Seattle. Amazing time of the season there. I am still partial to Lake Louise/Banff area...