(OT) Mini-vans. Any advice on buying one?

PIZ

We have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way in April. We tried 3 car seats in our Chevy Blazer and there is no way it's going to work. We don't have the cash to get a Trailblazer with a 3rd seat, so we are going to have to go the mini-van route. We are looking at buying something for about $9,000 that we can seat 3 car seats in. Any suggestions? I was going to get a Caravan, but someone told me they have a bad history with transmissions.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a Caravan when our kids were little and I thought it was a great vehicle. We never had a lick of trouble with it, however, others that we know had plenty of trouble with theirs, mostly transmission issues. Didn't matter if it was Dodge or Chrysler either -- they're all the same. One friend put 3 transmissions in his (although one time it was brought on by 'operator error'). If I had it to do all over again, I'd look at Honda and Toyota minis, and probably get one used since the new ones are quite pricey. There's a ton of room in a Caravan, and it's real flexible room to, because the seats can be removed if you need to haul lumber or furniture. Happy hunting.

Neighbor just bought the Honda Oddysey (link here) and can not say enough good things about it. No idea what they paid, but her payments are in the $375 range, I believe.

232589[/snapback]

The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are great. I have had a Nissan Quest for 6 years, and have had no trouble with it at all. We have put 167,000 miles on it and have nothing bad to report.

Welcome to the world of mini-vans---I never thought I would be a mini-van proponent but I am. Now on to the bad part about our specific vehicle.

We bought a Chrysler Town and Country in 2002. Has been less than average in the reliability category. Our Chrysler dealer also has an interesting philosophy when it comes to fixing warranty issues...they put off actually fixing the problem for about 3 visits--we had a steering column issue that was actually part of a recall and they would not replace the equipment, preferring to do more cosmetic things first--finally they replaced the equipment. The service manager told me that is was Chrysler's service "philosophy" to do the least expensive things first.

I replied its my philosophy not to give repeat business to morons......I am really popular at the dealership now...its too bad because I like the Pacifica and will be ready replace an old station wagon in the next 18 months or so--but there are many like vehicles on the market now.

One tip use your $9K as a downpayment, get a new van and a warranty also get the in car DVD--several companies are offering freebies right now because sales are off--I can't tell you how many times on 1+ hour trips I have praised the lord for a silent vehicle thanks to that 10" screen. You can get a nice van for $20-25K with no interest--its worth it in my opinion...

Honda, Nissan, Toyota are probably the best, but the Caravans, based on the amount you want to spend, are probably the best buy, because you will be able to get a newer one for the money. I have driven Caravans for about 10 years, and have had no transmission problems, but had a Ford that had to have two transmissions in 20,000 miles. I haven't met many owners of the GM minivans, but have talked to a few who were not satisfied.

We have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way in April.  We tried 3 car seats in our Chevy Blazer and there is no way it's going to work.  We don't have the cash to get a Trailblazer with a 3rd seat, so we are going to have to go the mini-van route.  We are looking at buying something for about $9,000 that we can seat 3 car seats in.  Any suggestions?  I was going to get a Caravan, but someone told me they have a bad history with transmissions.

232570[/snapback]

Chili Palmer: What is that?

Rental Car Attendant: It's an Oldsmobile Silhouette.

Chili Palmer: I ordered a Cadillac.

Rental Car Attendant: Oh, well, you got the Cadillac of minivans.

We have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way in April.  We tried 3 car seats in our Chevy Blazer and there is no way it's going to work.  We don't have the cash to get a Trailblazer with a 3rd seat, so we are going to have to go the mini-van route.  We are looking at buying something for about $9,000 that we can seat 3 car seats in.  Any suggestions?  I was going to get a Caravan, but someone told me they have a bad history with transmissions.

232570[/snapback]

PIZ, here's a site that can give you some info about used vans. The link depicts a Chevy Venture, but click around for other info and different makes.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re...dex.cfm/id/2259

A mini-van?!?!?!

Why not cut off your balls?

Too late, he's already married, so he might as well be comfortable.

I bought a 2000 Grand Caravan new, and it now has 62k on it and has never had any engine or transmission problems (knock on wood). Prior to that I bought a new Windstar, and the head gaskets had to be replaced twice (had to fight to get the warranty to cover it completely). A coworker had the same problem with his Windstar. I won't be buying a Ford again.

My mother has had a caravan/t&c for the past 15 years. She loves them. The clearance in the back is actually much greater than that of any SUV. Take out the seats and you have yourself a better cargo carrier than a suburban if you can believe it. Anyways, she currently has a 2002 chrysler town and country AWD. Of course, if you follow your life in the path of Chili Palmer, then you'd want the oldsmobile Silhouette It is, after all, the caddilac of minivans.

My mother has had a caravan/t&c for the past 15 years.  She loves them.  The clearance in the back is actually much greater than that of any SUV.  Take out the seats and you have yourself a better cargo carrier than a suburban if you can believe it.  Anyways, she currently has a 2002 chrysler town and country AWD.  Of course, if you follow your life in the path of Chili Palmer, then you'd want the oldsmobile Silhouette  It is, after all, the caddilac of minivans.

232664[/snapback]

hell, the seats disappear into the floor now, all rows...or just one or two...no need to remove them! nice.

Chili Palmer: What is that?

Rental Car Attendant: It's an Oldsmobile Silhouette.

Chili Palmer: I ordered a Cadillac.

Rental Car Attendant: Oh, well, you got the Cadillac of minivans.

232629[/snapback]

Classic stuff. I remember at the end of the movie, everyone was driving 'the Cadillac of minivans.'

The sequel previews look pretty good, by the way.

A mini-van?!?!?!

Why not cut off your balls?

232602[/snapback]

What do you do if you have 2 mini-vans?

I've got a 2003 Chrysler T&C, great van, never a problem, tons of room. For more room, buy an roof top carrier. Need the roof rack for that, not all have that

I've also got a 94 Voyager, 120,000 miles. No transmission problems, although now I have some slight slippage in lock-up mode. But then I towed about 500# more than allowed for 5 years so I brought it on myself. I don't know about the newer Chryslers, but the mid-90's had a lot of AC problems. Mine included, and it is never cheap. Evaporator cores usually