Ex-UCONN/NBA Donyel Marshall joins UB as asst coach.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what does he do if UB implodes next season and no good job offers come around in 2016? Be serious; it's a no-brainer career move. ASU is a major school in a major conference and that offers him a higher likelihood of high profile success. And it's not just the substantially higher pay and the more prestigious program. If he succeeds there he has the opportunity to parlay that into a major job, perhaps even Duke whenever Coach K finally hangs it up.

Arizona state is a risky job, IMO.

He gets herb sendick's crap recruits for at least another 1-2 years and has to out-recruit Arizona and UCLA.

I think he will have to work a major miracle to get that team to anything other than an average pac-12 team.

Arizona State is a stepping stone job too-- but it poses more risk for failure than buffalo.

There is enough evidence now to show that good young coaches at mid-majors can be patient and get elite jobs (brad Stevens, Shaka smart).

What kills me is he was all set for a killer job next year. He recruited a terrific class to UB and he likely could have gotten them into the Top 25. Instead he goes into an area where he has no connections for what? Money? UB alums were writing fat checks hoping to keep him here. He could have made $800K next year. Sure it's not $2MM but it's not bad to stay one more year. I guess this is the down side of being a fan of a mid-major program. UB really took a chance on Hurley. The guy had no real resume. This is our thank you. Asswipe.

Yeah, he's a clown for taking more than twice as much money, moving to a tax friendly state, and at a school with a better climate where it will be MUCH easier to recruit. Do you people hear yourselves?

You ought to be thanking the guy for taking what was a joke of a program to an NCAA tournament bid. When Hurley was hired here, he was going to be leaving. You can try to pretend otherwise but you're just lying to yourself

Yeah, he's a clown for taking more than twice as much money, moving to a tax friendly state, and at a school with a better climate where it will be MUCH easier to recruit. Do you people hear yourselves?

You ought to be thanking the guy for taking what was a joke of a program to an NCAA tournament bid. When Hurley was hired here, he was going to be leaving. You can try to pretend otherwise but you're just lying to yourself

Everyone knew he wasn't staying long term, but he had a contract. He made statements after the season to expect him to honor the contract. He elected to go for more money with a worse team actually.

BTW, Buffalo basketball is not a joke of a program.

This times 2.

I am a Richmond fan and root for VCU when not affecting Richmond.

Richmond won championship 1AA IN football, coach leaves. To be expected

Shaka leaves, no one here crying foul, same thing as Hurley If ha don't like, don't be a fan of mid major type schools.

Edited by plenzmd1

This times 2.

I am a Richmond fan and root for VCU when not affecting Richmond.

Richmond won championship 1AA IN football, coach leaves. To be expected

Shaka leaves, no one here crying foul, same thing as Hurley If ha don't like, don't be a fan of mid major type schools.

Shaka's situation seems different. He stayed and built VCU to its ceiling. He then left for a big-12 team that has pretty much the most money and is in a recruiting hot bed, for basically a "forever job."

I don't think anyone is faulting Shaka, because he handled his job situation perfectly, and didnt seem to mislead anyone.

I wish Hurley follower Smart's example. Arizona State is a crap job. I think he is a better coach than that and didn't need ASU as another stepping stone to a good job.

Shaka's situation seems different. He stayed and built VCU to its ceiling. He then left for a big-12 team that has pretty much the most money and is in a recruiting hot bed, for basically a "forever job."

I don't think anyone is faulting Shaka, because he handled his job situation perfectly, and didnt seem to mislead anyone.

I wish Hurley follower Smart's example. Arizona State is a crap job. I think he is a better coach than that and didn't need ASU as another stepping stone to a good job.

What other offers do you think he got?

Ha. Take the tiniest athletics budget in that conference -- around $65-70M, and cut that by about two-thirds and you have UB's athletics budget.

i still think there are MAC teams better than some of these Big 10 teams who can't recruit and are rarely ever competitive in either football or basketball.

I think he was better off staying, like Smart did. He rides out Buffalo for 4, 5 years and builds them into a regular tourney team. If he does that, the major offers wil roll in.

That's a ton of risk. It's also very rare for a team to be built into a regular tourney team.

I understand JR, my post was more about being a fan of a mid major program. Rare the really good coach who stays. Just have to accept as part of the equation is all I was saying.

i still think there are MAC teams better than some of these Big 10 teams who can't recruit and are rarely ever competitive in either football or basketball.

I agree, but as you know, we are talking about the NCAA. It's really not about competition, it's about resources.

I agree, but as you know, we are talking about the NCAA. It's really not about competition, it's about resources.

i guess. These programs don't recruit or win but love to pocket their share of the money the conference gets from other schools winning bowl games. They also bring down the SOS for the teams trying to get into the CFP because they will routinely just lose to MAC schools. It's frustrating. I would love to kick out a school from the Big 10 and replace with UB just to see what happens. Edited by YoloinOhio