Revis: Pats offer was nowhere near Jets

How does his affect the tampering allegation?

Jets guaranteeing 39 million is a typical nutty Jets move.

Revis had a $20M option bonus due right before the start of FA that everyone knew the Pats weren't going to pay. There was a 3-day "tampering window" before that where he could (and everyone knew he'd) shop himself and find the best deal. The Jets offered him way more. In the past, without the tampering window, they would have had a stronger case.

As for it being nutty, depends on if he helps them win a SB like he did with the Pats. And at worst it gets him away from them. What is nutty is not agreeing to his demands 2 years ago, the failure of which gave him a chance to help the Pats win a SB.

Revis had a $20M option bonus due right before the start of FA that everyone knew the Pats weren't going to pay. There was a 3-day "tampering window" before that where he could (and everyone knew he'd) shop himself and find the best deal. The Jets offered him way more. In the past, without the tampering window, they would have had a stronger case.

As for it being nutty, depends on if he helps them win a SB like he did with the Pats. And at worst it gets him away from them. What is nutty is not agreeing to his demands 2 years ago, the failure of which gave him a chance to help the Pats win a SB.

He did help the pats win a SB. But he won't do the same for a team like the Jets, so why pay all that money? It makes no sense at all. History has shown repeatedly the folly of tying up all that money in a "shutdown QB".

The NE case agaisnt the Jets has to do with Woody Johnson's comments about Revis before the "tampering window"--over 2 months ago, actually.

He did help the pats win a SB. But he won't do the same for a team like the Jets, so why pay all that money? It makes no sense at all. History has shown repeatedly the folly of tying up all that money in a "shutdown QB".

The NE case agaisnt the Jets has to do with Woody Johnson's comments about Revis before the "tampering window"--over 2 months ago, actually.

Stranger things have happened. If the Jets find a QB, like, say, Mariota, and he proves to be a franchise guy within the next couple years while Revis is still in his prime, they could win a SB. And again, it was probably worth it to them to get him away from the Pats.

As for the "tampering" back in December, harm would have to be shown, i.e. did it lead Revis to not seek out any other offers during the sanctioned tampering period? The obvious answer would be "no." And if you want to strictly define tampering as talking about a player who is under contract with another team, then the Pats should merit the same degree of punishment for Kraft talking about Revis a few days ago.

http://nesn.com/2015/03/darrelle-revis-patriots-offer-wasnt-in-the-ballpark-of-what-he-wanted/

And so it goes in New England. Maybe all you really need is a hall of fame QB surrounded by scrubs and a sneaky coach? We'll find out.

They did just make McCorty the 2nd highest paid safety in the league, so there's that..... Edited by Dibs

There's no window with a player under contract who is then released. The window is for expiring contracts.

There's no window with a player under contract who is then released. The window is for expiring contracts.

Good point. But I still say that Woody saying he wanted Revis back (without saying when or for how much) had no bearing on Revis' decision to reject the Pats' offer and become a FA.

Good point. But I still say that Woody saying he wanted Revis back (without saying when or for how much) had no bearing on Revis' decision to reject the Pats' offer and become a FA.

probably not, but say we wanted to negotiate an extension with a SUPERSTAR player in order to be able to keep him. Would you have wanted irsay publicly commenting that he wants hughes back? and then he went to indy?

the tampering stuff is all ridiculous anyway, but this board would be outraged.

Stranger things have happened. If the Jets find a QB, like, say, Mariota, and he proves to be a franchise guy within the next couple years while Revis is still in his prime, they could win a SB. And again, it was probably worth it to them to get him away from the Pats.

As for the "tampering" back in December, harm would have to be shown, i.e. did it lead Revis to not seek out any other offers during the sanctioned tampering period? The obvious answer would be "no." And if you want to strictly define tampering as talking about a player who is under contract with another team, then the Pats should merit the same degree of punishment for Kraft talking about Revis a few days ago.

doc, come on. The Jets are no where near a top CB away from the SB, Mariota or not. You've made some wild claims to back your arguments in the past but this whopper may take the cake. There is no way you believe that. And Revis's prime will not be measured in more "years".

As for the tampering rule, it states:

"Public/Private Statements.

Any public or private statement of interest,

qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or

representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-

Tampering Policy.

In circumstances like those of the example above, tampering will be

found even in the absence of a demonstrated cause-and-effect relationship

between the player’s contract problems and his prior involvement with the

other club."

Since Revis left pats, Woody has no case to say that Kraft's comments harmed the Jets--he just signed with them, doc.

probably not, but say we wanted to negotiate an extension with a SUPERSTAR player in order to be able to keep him. Would you have wanted irsay publicly commenting that he wants hughes back? and then he went to indy?

the tampering stuff is all ridiculous anyway, but this board would be outraged.

It wouldn't matter to me. I'm sure lots of teams would have wanted Hughes and paid him well, regardless of stating it publicly or not. The same goes for Revis. I actually expected Hughes to test the market, and I expected Revis to do the same, because there is always more than just one team looking to sign good players and the cap room to do it. I was actually shocked that Hughes not only didn't test the market, but took what looks to be a below-market deal.

doc, come on. The Jets are no where near a top CB away from the SB, Mariota or not. You've made some wild claims to back your arguments in the past but this whopper may take the cake. There is no way you believe that. And Revis's prime will not be measured in more "years".

As for the tampering rule, it states:

Since Revis left pats, Woody has no case to say that Kraft's comments harmed the Jets--he just signed with them, doc.

The Jets went to the AFCCG twice in Ryan's first 2 years with Revis and Cro and poor to average QB play. They've made some other good moves this off-season so I wouldn't be so quick to write them off, much less say adding Revis was a mistake. You add good players when you can, especially if you have the cap room and have to spend it, like the Jets did. And again the double bonus of taking him away from the Pats.

And I agree that according ot the letter of the law, you could call it tampering. I just don't see that it affected Revis' decision to reject the Pats' lowball offer and test the market. And they could have kept him by exercising the $20M option or coming close to matching what the Jets offered.

It will be interesting to see what the NFL rules on this. They investigated it back on March 8th and no word yet.

It wouldn't matter to me. I'm sure lots of teams would have wanted Hughes and paid him well, regardless of stating it publicly or not. The same goes for Revis. I actually expected Hughes to test the market, and I expected Revis to do the same, because there is always more than just one team looking to sign good players and the cap room to do it. I was actually shocked that Hughes not only didn't test the market, but took what looks to be a below-market deal.

The Jets went to the AFCCG twice in Ryan's first 2 years with Revis and Cro and poor to average QB play. They've made some other good moves this off-season so I wouldn't be so quick to write them off, much less say adding Revis was a mistake. You add good players when you can, especially if you have the cap room and have to spend it, like the Jets did. And again the double bonus of taking him away from the Pats.

And I agree that according ot the letter of the law, you could call it tampering. I just don't see that it affected Revis' decision to reject the Pats' lowball offer and test the market. And they could have kept him by exercising the $20M option or coming close to matching what the Jets offered.

It will be interesting to see what the NFL rules on this. They investigated it back on March 8th and no word yet.

Those Jets teams are way back in the rear view mirror. A bad team doesn't get better by adding a single DB for 39 million. This will have zero impact on them getting to playoffs. Revis is on his 4th roster in 4 years. He isn't going to be around on the Jets for long. It's his MO.

As for the tampering, if a desperate doofus owner like Woody signals that he would LOVE to have Revis back and Revis knows he's not going to get the 20 million from NE, of course it influences Revis's thinking going forward. It's clearly tampering. He would have been gone anyway from the pats this off season anyway because no team wants to pay him for 2 years of insane money. It's still tampering because the comments were made when he was still playing for NE.

Those Jets teams are way back in the rear view mirror. A bad team doesn't get better by adding a single DB for 39 million. This will have zero impact on them getting to playoffs. Revis is on his 4th roster in 4 years. He isn't going to be around on the Jets for long. It's his MO.

As for the tampering, if a desperate doofus owner like Woody signals that he would LOVE to have Revis back and Revis knows he's not going to get the 20 million from NE, of course it influences Revis's thinking going forward. It's clearly tampering. He would have been gone anyway from the pats this off season anyway because no team wants to pay him for 2 years of insane money. It's still tampering because the comments were made when he was still playing for NE.

The Jets didn't just add Revis OR for $39M. They added other players as well and that's his guaranteed money over 5 years. And there's no way to quantify whether adding him means playoffs or not. But barring injury he'll play out most of his contract because that's what he's been looking for since the end of his rookie deal.

And the only way it would have influenced his thinking is if he believed that only the Pats would sign him if he hit FA. Which even you know is ridiculous. There was nothing to gain by taking a deal from the Pats before testing the market because their deal would have always been there, and likely far lower than any other team's. And he's mostly about the money. So again, according to the letter of the law, it's tampering, but in reality, it meant nothing. But we'll see what the NFL decides.

The Jets didn't just add Revis OR for $39M. They added other players as well and that's his guaranteed money over 5 years. And there's no way to quantify whether adding him means playoffs or not. But barring injury he'll play out most of his contract because that's what he's been looking for since the end of his rookie deal.

And the only way it would have influenced his thinking is if he believed that only the Pats would sign him if he hit FA. Which even you know is ridiculous. There was nothing to gain by taking a deal from the Pats before testing the market because their deal would have always been there, and likely far lower than any other team's. And he's mostly about the money. So again, according to the letter of the law, it's tampering, but in reality, it meant nothing. But we'll see what the NFL decides.

The Jets signed Revis a feew hours after they were legally allowed to talk to him. Naturally, the leaguw is looking into how that was possible without the Jets negotiating before that time.

His 39 million is fully guranteed (even for injury) and front loaded in the first 3 years of the contract. Given his injury history, age and mercenary nature, it's a poor decision on Woody's part. But that's the main problem with the Jets. OWner can't find competent help.

Edited by Mr. WEO

really the only reason not to be upset is the fact that i think its generally accepted he probably had a rough offer outlined long before any of this, honestly. i mean, every agent with a free agent, or likely free agent, or in a tough battle, surely talks to a few teams on the side at the combine.

Edited by NoSaint

The Jets signed Revis a feew hours after they were legally allowed to talk to him. Naturally, the leaguw is looking into how that was possible without the Jets negotiating before that time.

His 39 million is fully guranteed (even for injury) and front loaded in the first 3 years of the contract. Given his injury history, age and mercenary nature, it's a poor decision on Woody's part. But that's the main problem with the Jets. OWner can't find competent help.

Injury history? He missed 3 games the season before the acl tear and then 14 games that year. Other than that he's never missed a game. The guy is in the convo for best defensive player in the league and going to a defense that was already ranked #6 overall in the league last year. They were stout against the run but not so much against the pass. Now they've solved that problem. This was a great move for them and that defense is built like ours...their def line had 45 sacks last year which was 9 behind ours. They have the 6 pick in the draft and this seems to be a draft a bit more def heavy at the top so they could even add a pass rushing lb to the defense. They have the same issue with qb as we do but they do not have a rb but they can address that early in the second. I wouldn't sleep on this jets team one bit.