Passing league, huh?

Rockinon

Maybe Pete Carroll should have looked at that chart before making the call he made last game.

I'm an idiot and I knew they should have run the damn ball

If it's a passing league, then that means defenses are built to stop the pass, not the ground and pound. LB are smaller, faster players, and nickel being most team's base defense means an extra corner will be on the field.

It's a passing league because the league wants Cinderfellas like Brady to shine. Heaven forbid someone gives their metro sexual poster boy a black eye

People will believe anything if you put lipstick on it. >> STATS LIE. then can be manipulated to prove almost anything.

I'm a big stats guy and I've worked with data analysis for a pretty large company before, so I don't 100% disagree with you. Stats are very EASY to manipulate. Everytime somebody provides stats to prove something, somebody will jump in and says "you can make stats say anything", which is true, but it is giving the assumption that stats should have zero credibility. That's is a very unfortunate thing to think. Data can tell you incredible things and point you in unexpected directions. It can also be red herrings or it can make you a victim of selective attribution. But to say that all "stats lie", is a very incorrect conclusion.

I know that might not be totally what you meant, but I'm just seeing that opinion a lot when somebody disagrees with data presented without actually analyzing the data. Data should be analyzed on it's own merit, not just dismissed immediately.

Edited by musichunch

I'm a big stats guy and I've worked with data analysis for a pretty large company before, so I don't 100% disagree with you. Stats are very EASY to manipulate. Everytime somebody provides stats to prove something, somebody will jump in and says "you can make stats say anything", which is true, but it is giving the assumption that stats should have zero credibility. That's is a very unfortunate thing to think. Data can tell you incredible things and point you in unexpected directions. It can also be red herrings or it can make you a victim of selective attribution. But to say that all "stats lie", is a very incorrect conclusion.

I know that might not be totally what you meant, but I'm just seeing that opinion a lot when somebody disagrees with data presented without actually analyzing the data. Data should be analyzed on it's own merit, not just dismissed immediately.

I am not sure I said or even implied that stats should have zero credibility. All I was saying is - Stats cal lie if you let them. People should report data that improves the end result and not mask it.

I've bent analysis myself in the past.

I would test 10 to 20 phones every month and report typically 4 errors overall in every batch and then list them by category

1 Transmitter, 1 Receiver, 1 Microphone, 1 Keyboard. Netting a very low failure rate

No one would make any attempt to collect the phones to investigate. When I bunched ALL failures together and presented a larger failure rate - suddenly every group wanted to investigate their respective failures.

Result. LESS failures in he proceeding months.

When a new manager griped about the way it was presented I was told to change the results from back to #'s that in the end decreased the reliability of the phones.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If it's a passing league, then that means defenses are built to stop the pass, not the ground and pound. LB are smaller, faster players, and nickel being most team's base defense means an extra corner will be on the field.

players are bigger stronger and faster. The back didn't have to get smaller players, players had to re evaluate their physical shape. I remember Ray Lewis talking about going leaner to run better, after years of building power primarily.

Players change the game, the game doesn't change the players.

Interesting stats. I would have guessed the exact opposite.

That's exactly why I posted it. And because I think Buffalo may be more inclined this year to try running in these situations. Last year, it seemed we would pass on 3rd and 1 more often and inevitably fail. Frustrating as hell when Fred was always good for 2.

I'm an idiot and I knew they should have run the damn ball

It's a passing league because the league wants Cinderfellas like Brady to shine. Heaven forbid someone gives their metro sexual poster boy a black eye

I think you mean Cinderfellas like Brees, Manning and Stafford--who have dominated the top 3 spots in the past 5 years.

I think you mean Cinderfellas like Brees, Manning and Stafford--who have dominated the top 3 spots in the past 5 years.

read what I wrote WEO. Cinderfella Brady, the china doll no one can touch w/o a flag.

Brees, Manning and Stafford have much more class than Tommy Boy