The dangers of our new normal...

Of course you don't see it, you don't understand the issue and how much privacy you've lost over the last fifteen years.

This is the prevailing opinion IMHO. Especially all of the tech nitwits and kids. A very smart person I know who loves facebook/twitter/etc and has a cell phone growing out of thier hand I think has told me "Well, I don't have anything to hide. Why should I worry?" I have heard this many other places as well.

People have willingly traded away much of their privacy to be able to find out what Snookie thinks about Hillary running for prez or what their old high school bud had for lunch yesterday.

The internet and the smart phone are the bread and circuses of the 21st century.

And it's not just the government monitoring your every move, it's also bug business and internet companies like Facebook, Google, and Twitter for example. And they sell that info so they all have it. Most people have no problem with that as long as they can get their FaceBook feed.

I find it creepy.

Edited by reddogblitz

Yes, and it was a correct point, decentralizing information and communication allows for more freedom. So I stand by that

Even when said communication and information is being tracked, stored, and swayed more than ever by big government and big corporate interests? Again, this isn't the point of this topic but it's still a point you're woefully ignorant about.

The issue is privacy and the government's complete invasion of it. So, I'll ask you again. You stated this kind of power has always been possible, explain that to me. How has it always been possible for government to infringe on the privacy of its people when the technology to do so has only recently (in terms of the totality of history) been developed?

I'll wait...

This is the prevailing opinion IMHO. Especially all of the tech nitwits and kids. A very smart person I know who loves facebook/twitter/etc and has a cell phone growing out of thier hand I think has told me "Well, I don't have anything to hide. Why should I worry?" I have heard this many other places as well.

People have willingly traded away much of their privacy to be able to find out what Snookie thinks about Hillary running for prez or what their old high school bud had for lunch yesterday.

The internet and the smart phone are the bread and circuses of the 21st century.

And it's not just the government monitoring your every move, it's also bug business and internet companies like Facebook, Google, and Twitter for example. And they sell that info so they all have it. Most people have no problem with that as long as they can get their FaceBook feed.

I find it creepy.

This is absolutely the catch-22 of the modern world. The younger generation (millennials and under) operate in the digital world knowingly surrendering their privacy in order to have a digital life. The older generation either doesn't understand the issue (like gatorman) or believes that it's a necessary evil to fight those no good terrorists.

We've been tricked into believing this is the cost of doing business in the modern world by the powers that be because it's given them an incredible opportunity to gain insight into every single voter/customer/citizens' life.

Gator probably belongs to a younger generation who has no expectation of privacy and thinks if I'm not doing anything wrong then who ,cares, and in a way he's right because the only people who this will really effect directly is either wrong doers or people who can effectively challenge the Establishment - that this spying can be used to blackmail politicians, or interfere with social movements, or enrich people with insider information etc etc probably doesn't matter much to him.

Gator probably belongs to a younger generation who has no expectation of privacy and thinks if I'm not doing anything wrong then who ,cares, and in a way he's right because the only people who this will really effect directly is either wrong doers or people who can effectively challenge the Establishment - that this spying can be used to blackmail politicians, or interfere with social movements, or enrich people with insider information etc etc probably doesn't matter much to him.

He's said he's in his mid 40s. There's no excuse for him to be as woefully ignorant of this issue as he is claiming to be in this thread (imo).

Even when said communication and information is being tracked, stored, and swayed more than ever by big government and big corporate interests? Again, this isn't the point of this topic but it's still a point you're woefully ignorant about.

Yes! Because, dear sir, you missed my point--smart as you are--that its really information overload for anyone. Seriously, every single email and text and call etc. Its so much its basically use--and in fact most of it is useless any way.

The issue is privacy and the government's complete invasion of it. So, I'll ask you again. You stated this kind of power has always been possible, explain that to me. How has it always been possible for government to infringe on the privacy of its people when the technology to do so has only recently (in terms of the totality of history) been developed?

I'll wait...

Nazi Germany could simply physically exert that power. Ever hear of the Gestapo?

Yes! Because, dear sir, you missed my point--smart as you are--that its really information overload for anyone. Seriously, every single email and text and call etc. Its so much its basically use--and in fact most of it is useless any way.

Google "Big Data". It's far from useless. Why would they bother gathering and indexing it and keeping it if it were "useless"?

No, I'm not young. Did Nixon need this technology to f with people? Black mail is black mail and illegal, sure this opens up a new avenue for it, but hardly means we are doomed.

Google "Big Data". It's far from useless. Why would they bother gathering and indexing it and keeping it if it were "useless"?

The government does a lot of things that are useless, out of sheer bureaucratic inertia.

I have no doubt that inertia contributes to the increasing collection of data. Bureaucracies live to justify their existence, and there's no better way than expanding existing programs.

Nazi Germany could simply physically exert that power. Ever hear of the Gestapo?

Ever hear of the definition of "scale?"

1) The technology we're talking about allows for a streamlining of that information. When analyzed properly, it's not overload -- which is what this topic is about. This is about the technology and the programs designed to not only catch and store all this information, but to analyze it effectively and efficiently. Your first point proves, yet again, that you are arguing a topic you know nothing about. I'm telling you, watch that John Oliver piece, it's at worst entertaining and at best a quick way to get an idea of what it is we're actually talking about in this thread.

2) Nazi Germany and the Gestapo NEVER had the kind of power to restrict privacy that exists today. Learn your history before you use it to bolster your argument. You're very bad at this.

No, I'm not young. Did Nixon need this technology to f with people? Black mail is black mail and illegal, sure this opens up a new avenue for it, but hardly means we are doomed.

This isn't about !@#$ing with people. This isn't about taking over the government. This is about privacy -- a constitutionally protected right of every US citizen -- and the fact that it no longer exists. It was taken from us without a debate, under the guise of protecting us from terror.

This is the topic we're discussing.

So you are all in this we are doomed by technology position?

This is not about being anti-tech. It's about whether or not there is a way to operate in a modern digital world without foregoing our right to privacy. The government and big corporate interests will tell us no, because they are gaining from our lack of privacy. But is what they're telling us the truth? Shouldn't this be an issue we're discussing openly and nationally rather than you jumping to (a completely erroneous) conclusion and shutting your ears to anything that might run counter to it?

Ya right, lol

When a wise man hears of the Tao,

he immediately begins to live it.

When an average man hears of the Tao,

he believes some of it and doubts the rest.

When a foolish man hears of the Tao,

he laughs out loud at the very idea.

If it were not for that laugh,

it would not be the Tao.

Edited by GreggyT

you mean from sheeple like gator?

Exactly. The Gestapo woulda had wood over the kind of technology we have today, because they wouldn't have needed to rely on tards like Gator.

can someone remind me why we NEEDED a deal with Iran?

why it HAD to happen?