Cyrus Kouandjio not wasting any time prepping for 2015

Disagree. One of the most important quotes the Bills needed to hear and ascribe to. It wasn't just about trying your best, it's about delivering. Just trying your best isn't good enough.

In a way, I agree. For instance, whatever effort Marrone put into his offense, from the high flying no huddle that was supposed to force the issue, or the pound on the ground offense he ended up with, the result wasn't good enough.

Because whatever he was trying to accomplish, he ended up with a boring, predictable, ineffective, low scoring offense that was neither high flying nor pounding on the ground.

So when he went in to ask for an extension, the writing was on the wall, so to speak.

Burned by his own quote.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my view Marrone got the most out of his players on both sides of the ball. If Nix is going to be more successful than Marrone (especially on offense) it will be due to the fact that he has better players.

:lol: :lol: That's one of the funniest things I have ever read here. Thanks for that. Made my day.

He didn't coach the defense and he got terrible production out of everyone on offense. The longer they were under him the worse they got. He got the best he could out of Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and MWilliams? Are you insane?

In a way, I agree. For instance, whatever effort Marrone put into his offense, from the high flying no huddle that was supposed to force the issue, or the pound on the ground offense he ended up with, the result wasn't good enough.

Because whatever he was trying to accomplish, he ended up with a boring, predictable, ineffective, low scoring offense that was neither high flying nor pounding on the ground.

So when he went in to ask for an extension, the writing was on the wall, so to speak.

Burned by his own quote.

I think he would totally agree. His efforts as well as the entire offense's was not enough. I'm sure they all tried very hard. Edited by FireChan

Besides, the point was not the talent level on both sides of the ball, the point was the defense was tough and Marrone didn't have anything to do with it. The team had tougher players (Spikes, Boobie, Graham, Bradham) and Marrone had nothing to do with that either. They were tough already.

Besides, the point was not the talent level on both sides of the ball, the point was the defense was tough and Marrone didn't have anything to do with it. The team had tougher players (Spikes, Boobie, Graham, Bradham) and Marrone had nothing to do with that either. They were tough already.

Like Woods. Tough before he got here, and then Marrone tried to take some of that out of him by benching him early on.

:lol: :lol: That's one of the funniest things I have ever read here. Thanks for that. Made my day.

He didn't coach the defense and he got terrible production out of everyone on offense. The longer they were under him the worse they got. He got the best he could out of Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and MWilliams? Are you insane?

We had the worst OL in the league and one of the worst starting qbs. It was the talent level that plagued the unit, not the coaching. It's not surprising that Whaley's first moves have to do with getting different players on the line at at the qb position.

We had the worst OL in the league and one of the worst starting qbs. It was the talent level that plagued the unit, not the coaching. It's not surprising that Whaley's first moves have to do with getting different players on the line at at the qb position.

The OL that Marrone built, and the QBs that started out at least decent and all declined while Doug and Hackett ran the show. Every QB and seemingly every OL declined. That's coaching.

The OL that Marrone built, and the QBs that started out at least decent and all declined while Doug and Hackett ran the show. Every QB and seemingly every OL declined. That's coaching.

Whaley drafted three linemen and brought in a free agent guard in Chris Williams. All three dratees stuggled and the free agent guad was injured. None of them was a positive player on the line.

Marrone made it the worst by playing guys like Pears, who was a low end but decent RT into a RG, a position he never played in his life, where he never belonged and instantly became the worst. He took a low end but decent LG in Urbik and kept him on the bench for the worst RG in the league and for a 5th round pick who was never taught NFL technique in college, then played Urbik in the wrong position. He took a 7th round pick and played him at LT the entire OTA, camp and preseason, and then a week before the season started put him at RT where he got killed too.

He didn't have top players. But he made them way worse. He was a moron with his decisions on offense. Which is a large part of the reason no one would hire him.

Whaley drafted three linemen and brought in a free agent guard in Chris Williams. All three dratees stuggled and the free agent guad was injured. None of them was a positive player on the line.

He got the kind of player Marrone asked for.

I hate the Chris Williams signing, hated it when it happened and hate it now. I'm not going to throw in the towel on Richardson (who was bad but had spark) or Cujo yet. But considering how so many here assume Rex Ryan is calling the shots on personnel on the defensive side of the ball since it's his specialty, I don't know how you can assume Marrone had no influence on which lineman the Bills brought in. He had a specific idea in mind (big huge guys to run a zone blocking scheme -- which is beyond stupid) and Doug complied. Whaley deserves some of the blame for Williams, but to say Marrone had no influence on the construction of the OL is absurd.

Marrone made it the worst by playing guys like Pears, who was a low end but decent RT into a RG, a position he never played in his life, where he never belonged and instantly became the worst. He took a low end but decent LG in Urbik and kept him on the bench for the worst RG in the league and for a 5th round pick who was never taught NFL technique in college, then played Urbik in the wrong position. He took a 7th round pick and played him at LT the entire OTA, camp and preseason, and then a week before the season started put him at RT where he got killed too.

He didn't have top players. But he made them way worse. He was a moron with his decisions on offense. Which is a large part of the reason no one would hire him.

He got the kind of player Marrone asked for.

The GM ultimately makes the draft selections. Kujo was a Whaley pick as was Richardson. They both mightedly struggled.

It doesn't matter how you shuffled the players on our OL they were sub par. They played down to their talent level. The line will be better this year because it will have a number of different players playing on the line.

Edited by JohnC

The GM ultimately makes the draft selections. Kujo was a Whaley pick as was Richardson. They both mightedly struggled.

It doesn't matter how you shuffled the players on our OL they were sub par. They played down to their talent level. The line will be better this year because they will have a number of different players playing on the line.

Then how do you explain that every single one of the holdover players from 2013 to 2014 was worse.

The longer marrone had the OL players they got worse. The longer he had the QBs they got worse.

Some people have such a hard on to label young players a bust first. It's so stupid. What do you get for it? A trophy or that your team messed up a pick?

Dareus was a bust. So was Gilmore. Hughes was a bust in Indy. Believe it or not, you are allowed to get more than 1 or 2 years to develop.

Then how do you explain that every single one of the holdover players from 2013 to 2014 was worse.

The longer marrone had the OL players they got worse. The longer he had the QBs they got worse.

But the Jacksonville Jaguars hired him to be an oline coach! He must be good.

Like Woods. Tough before he got here, and then Marrone tried to take some of that out of him by benching him early on.

Tough or the mental issues that saw him fall to round 2? This is the guy who lead the mutiny on the field against EJ.

I love Woods, but he ain't no Boy Scout.

This is all besides the point that it's a good quote. No need for a "Marrone was the worst O-line coach in history," discussion.

Some people have such a hard on to label young players a bust first. It's so stupid. What do you get for it? A trophy or that your team messed up a pick?

Dareus was a bust. So was Gilmore. Hughes was a bust in Indy. Believe it or not, you are allowed to get more than 1 or 2 years to develop.

But the Jacksonville Jaguars hired him to be an oline coach! He must be good.

No one said any player is a bust. What is said and is fair to say is that players such as Kujo and Richardson were not ready to play in their rookie year. Henderson was a developmental pick. He was also not ready to extensively play in his rookie year.

No one said any player is a bust. What is said and is fair to say is that players such as Kujo and Richardson were not ready to play in their rookie year. Henderson was a developmental pick. He was also not ready to extensively play in his rookie year.

No 5th round OL pick from an offense like Baylor would be expected to contribute significantly as a rookie.

You're a smart poster so you won't. But plenty of folks have.

Didn't the #2 overall pick OT struggle to get on the field and when he did, wasn't it at g?

Tough or the mental issues that saw him fall to round 2? This is the guy who lead the mutiny on the field against EJ.

I love Woods, but he ain't no Boy Scout.

This is all besides the point that it's a good quote. No need for a "Marrone was the worst O-line coach in history," discussion.

Woods didn't fall in the draft because of mental issues, I have never read (or heard) anything like that and I watched the guy's play in college pretty closely. He slipped, despite being the best route runner and run blocker in that WR class because of concerns over his ankle injury and, partially, because of the emergence of Lee at USC during Woods' final season. Does anyone really think Austin, Hunter, Patterson or Hopkins are significantly better than Woody? I think of all the guys taken over him, I'd rather have Woods over any of them except maybe (maybe) Hopkins.

Woods has always been scrappy, despite JTSP declaration that "Woods isn't physical enough for the NFL", but it's never been an issue on or off the field for the guy. Well I take that back, he did get thrown out after punching a dude, but that was the first time I recall him being booted from a game at any level. Marrone and him clashed, but I'm not certain it's fair to say he led the mutiny against EJ. Though I can see how you can make that case with the body language during the Houston debacle.

As much as we want to talk about Kouandjio being a bust last year, what's not to like about his attitude going into the offseason? One week removed from the season and he decides he's going to go work 6 days a week on being a better lineman. Honestly, this is exactly what I would want to see out of a young guy that didn't live up to his 2nd round pick value.

As much as we want to talk about Kouandjio being a bust last year, what's not to like about his attitude going into the offseason? One week removed from the season and he decides he's going to go work 6 days a week on being a better lineman. Honestly, this is exactly what I would want to see out of a young guy that didn't live up to his 2nd round pick value.

You are dead on the money. And thanks for getting this thread back on the original point.