Other Than Brady, Who CAN Win The "BIG GAME?"

Someone in the "Anti-Drew" crowd declared that Drew cannot win the "Big Game." Although this expression was never clearly defined, the haters pounced upon this and now recite it as gospel truth.

OK.....perhaps we can now be informed of who CAN win the big ones.

McNabb? I guess not.

Manning? Ditto

Here is my list:

1) Favre, but he is aging.

2) Warner, but he too is aging, has miles, and no longer has Pace, Faulk, etc.

3) JP Losman.

Did I forget anyone?

Someone in the "Anti-Drew" crowd declared that Drew cannot win the "Big Game." Although this expression was never clearly defined, the haters pounced upon this and now recite it as gospel truth.

McNabb? I guess not.

Manning? Ditto

Here is my list:

3) JP Losman.

Did I forget anyone?

230660[/snapback]

JP LOSMAN?

:doh:

who CAN win the big ones.

230660[/snapback]

That is a good question. Brady is something else the way he just maintains composure and stays calm. I watched him come off the field after the Givens TD and after the Dillon TD, and he never got nutty. Just remained real cool. Very much like Montana.

I looked over a list of a QB's and I think given the proper team around them,

Steve McNair

Trent Green

Chad Pennington...(he looked cool and calm against the Chargers and Steelers).

I would love to say Peyton Manning, but, he hasn't proved he can win the big game even though he had the whole team around him.

230660[/snapback]

Do we have to bring up Drew's career stats against teams with winning records again?

The answer will be clear when TD kicks him out of town later this month. :doh:

That is a good question.  Brady is something else the way he just maintains composure and stays calm.  I watched him come off the field after the Givens TD and after the Dillon TD, and he never got nutty.  Just remained real cool.  Very much like Montana.

I looked over a list of a QB's and I think given the proper team around them,

Steve McNair

Trent Green

Chad Pennington...(he looked cool and calm against the Chargers and Steelers).

I would love to say Peyton Manning, but, he hasn't proved he can win the big game even though he had the whole team around him.

230676[/snapback]

I was also thinking Pennington, but only if he doesn't let the NYC media get to him. :doh:

McNabb? I guess not.

Manning? Ditto

Here is my list:

3) JP Losman.

Did I forget anyone?

230660[/snapback]

The answer to your question is clear, as what QBs have won a SB except Brady in the last few years:

2003: Brad Johnson

2001: Trent Dilfer

2000: Kurt Warner

None of them were remotely star QBs when they won(you might argue on Warner, who was spectacular for a very short time, but he came out of nowhere and soon returned). In fact, Warner and Dilfer were backups when the season started. And none of them are starters today.

Which suggests that other than Brady, the fixation on the QB position to win the SB is misguided. Others like Rypien, Doug Williams, Jeff Hofstedler, all were backups or journeyman. Favre did win one, Elway two, but only late in his career as his talent was fading. Outside of Aikman and Montana, you'd have to say the teams won the SB because they were the best team, not the team with the best QB. Indianapolis proves this truism every year.

I think that JP needs to actually PLAY in a big game in the NFL before we can judge whether he can win it.

230686[/snapback]

How about he just play in A game when it is not mop-up time. Hope is nice, but that's all it is right now as far as Losman winning BIG games.

Yes

Brady

Kerry Collins...yes, you heard me right. Took a very average Giants team to a Super Bowl and made something out of nothing in New York

Delhomme

Favre

McNabb

McNair

Pennington

Warner

No

Boller

Bledsoe

Brooks

Culpepper

Green

Griese

Grossman

Harrington

Matt Haselback

Maddox

Eli Manning

Peyton Manning

Plummer

Ramsey

Testaverde

Vick

Unsure

Brees

Bulger

Leftwich

Losman

Palmer

Rothlesburgerholdthemayo

McNabb? I guess not.

Manning? Ditto

Here is my list:

3) JP Losman.

Did I forget anyone?

230660[/snapback]

You are making it seem that anti-Bledsoeologists like myself think that the ONLY team Drew cannot beat is NE....and you know what you are right, even with Losman right now or another QB, the Bills probably would not win the Super Bowl, but i do believe the Bills can take a step to the playoffs with another QB, and ALSO have hope in the future...we all know Drew's limitations, there is a ceiling.

How did Drew do against other top defenses or even good defenses in the last 3 years? Pitt? Forget it. Baltimore? Ditto. Philly? Loss at home.

Its time to move on.

You are making it seem that anti-Bledsoeologists like myself think that the ONLY team Drew cannot beat is NE....and you know what you are right, even with Losman right now or another QB, the Bills probably would not win the Super Bowl, but i do believe the Bills can take a step to the playoffs with another QB, and ALSO have hope in the future...we all know Drew's limitations, there is a ceiling.

How did Drew do against other top defenses or even good defenses in the last 3 years?  Pitt?  Forget it.  Baltimore?  Ditto.  Philly?  Loss at home.

Its time to move on.

231380[/snapback]

And in that Philly game the starting DB's and Brian Dawkins were out.

eh????

I'm confused. Anyone can win a big game, just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they can't. What was brady... 23-33, 236 yds, 2 TD's (most of his yard from screen passes mind you). Wow, Brady just took the pats and carried them on his shoulders. He did everything, the pats could not have won that game without him at all. 236 yards!!! Thats unheard of, he's amazing!!!!

In closing, anyone who was the pats QB yesterday would be on the list of Big game QB's. Tell me "honestly"that Peyton Manning could not have done what Brady did yesterday. McNabb?? He did better than Brady ifyou ask me (since eagles had no run game). Boller, Brooks, Culpepper, Green, Haselback, Peyton Manning, Plummer, Vick, Brees, Palmer, Rothisburger all have shown they have the talent to do just what Brady did yesterday.

Just because you haven't seen a million bucks doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

eh????

I'm confused. Anyone can win a big game, just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they can't. What was brady... 23-33, 236 yds, 2 TD's (most of his yard from screen passes mind you). Wow, Brady just took the pats and carried them on his shoulders. He did everything, the pats could not have won that game without him at all. 236 yards!!! Thats unheard of, he's amazing!!!!

In closing, anyone who was the pats QB yesterday would be on the list of Big game QB's. Tell me "honestly"that Peyton Manning could not have done what Brady did yesterday. McNabb?? He did better than Brady ifyou ask me (since eagles had no run game). Boller, Brooks, Culpepper, Green, Haselback, Peyton Manning, Plummer, Vick, Brees, Palmer, Rothisburger all have shown they have the talent to do just what Brady did yesterday.

231384[/snapback]

Yardage is yardage no matter how its gained. Like him or not, Brady had some clutch passes down the field to Branch and co.

231384[/snapback]

And I tend to agree with that arguement. The problem with lumping every QB together and trying to make a generality about "not being able to win the big one" is that it overlooks the other 10 guys.

I wish there really were a way to plug in other QB's into the Patriots sytem to see if they do as well. I bet they don't. Don't be so sure Peyton Manning would have 3 rings right now, much less the other QB's. Brady has very unique skills in his accuracy, mobility, and field vision.