(OT) it's carolina v. duke week

eball

is it the heels or the devils?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. is it the heels or the devils?

• carolina
    • duke

just curious to see how folks here view what many believe to be the "greatest rivalry in college sports."

my loyalties are obvious; what do you think and/or anyone have a carolina/duke memory to share?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i live just out side fo raliegh.

State sucks,

Duke USED to be good,

Carolina is DOMINATING this year.

did you know carolina is the rival for 2 teams (State and Duke).

but duke only has 1 rival. (carolina)

and state only has 1 rival. (carolina)

thats the sign of a great organization.

Go Heels!!!

Dook is Dook!!

Coach K falling down this weekend was some of the funniest sh-- I have seen in a while. :doh::lol::lol:

Marvin Williams is very good. I had front row seats at the State game last week, and this kid has it all. State on the other hand is done. Bye bye Herb!!!

I'm a big Duke fan.  Their lack of depth is starting to show.  Also, the reliance on the three point shot can be annoying at times especially when they have a very good inside big man in Sheldon Williams.  Should be an exciting game.

230707[/snapback]

i would like to know your opinion of your coach. i know hes the best recruter in the game. but how do you feel about his in-game changes and decisions.

i watch the games, and have a few duke fans friends :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , but, i think we all agree that he does not do that much ingame changes. hes a great coach during the week, as far as preperation, and game planning. but in the game, he wont change anything, even if duke is loosing. it seems like he says.. "your better than them, go beat them", and in the past they would just go out and win. but in the games they loose, it seems as if they were loosing the whole game, and didnt do anything diffrent.

i would like to know your opinion of your coach. i know hes the best recruter in the game. but how do you feel about his in-game changes and decisions.

i watch the games, and have a few duke fans friends  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , but, i think we all agree that he does not do that much ingame changes. hes a great coach during the week, as far as preperation, and game planning. but in the game, he wont change anything, even if duke is loosing. it seems like he says.. "your better than them, go beat them", and in the past they would just go out and win. but in the games they loose, it seems as if they were loosing the whole game, and didnt do anything diffrent.

230739[/snapback]

I'm certainly not an expert, but the guy has to be doing something right in order to win consistently, not only in the highly competitive ACC conference, but also the big dance. You don't win on talent alone.

As I mentioned earlier, if there is one thing that aggravates me about their game strategy, it is the reliance on the three point FG.

i would like to know your opinion of your coach. i know hes the best recruter in game....

230739[/snapback]

He is not the best!! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: The things Roy will do over the next ten years will rewrite the college record books. :lol::doh::w00t:

230702[/snapback]

man, in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, the letters "ABC" stood for "anybody but carolina." the heels were the most hated team in the ACC because they beat the piss out of everyone year in and year out. beat carolina and your season was made.

the heels are still hated by most ACC schools (notably state, dook, virginia, wake, and clemson), but a new "ABD" contingent has sprung up over the last decade or so. the couple of years recently where the heels were down helped them gain some sympathy, and it now seems that folks would rather see dook lose because they've been consistently in the top ten for 15+ years, aside from '95 where coach K left midway through the season and hung his assistant out to dry.

i watch the games, and have a few duke fans friends  , but, i think we all agree that he does not do that much ingame changes. hes a great coach during the week, as far as preperation, and game planning. but in the game, he wont change anything, even if duke is loosing. it seems like he says.. "your better than them, go beat them", and in the past they would just go out and win. but in the games they loose, it seems as if they were loosing the whole game, and didnt do anything diffrent.

Great thread. Duke alum here, obviously huge Duke fan. I think the biggest criticism that Coach K has justifiably received is that he has never developed a proper bench. His teams are always thin (this year by necessity), but have been exposed in some big games due to foul trouble or opponents scheming.

The 99 title game loss was a perfect example, as was last year's final 4. Sheldon Williams barely played, yet this year he's the focus. Maybe if Williams played more he could have helped on Okafor.

As far as in game changes go, he believes (and I think rightly so) do what you do best. You won't see him switch to a zone or start pounding the ball in the paint. Its straight man D, fluid passing and finding the open shot.

Great thread.  Duke alum here, obviously huge Duke fan.  I think the biggest criticism that Coach K has justifiably received is that he has never developed a proper bench.  His teams are always thin (this year by necessity), but have been exposed in some big games due to foul trouble or opponents scheming. 

The 99 title game loss was a perfect example, as was last year's final 4.  Sheldon Williams barely played, yet this year he's the focus.  Maybe if Williams played more he could have helped on Okafor.

As far as in game changes go, he believes (and I think rightly so) do what you do best.  You won't see him switch to a zone or start pounding the ball in the paint.  Its straight man D, fluid passing and finding the open shot.

230885[/snapback]

not tryinig to be mean, but a huge Duke fan would know that SheldEn Williams was a starter last year and a huge part of that team but he didn't play much against UConn because of foul trouble, not because he was some little utilized bench player.

btw, right now the championships score is Coach K 3, Roy Williams nada and K is only a few years older than Roy.

Roy has a lot of catching up to do.

230965[/snapback]

so in a few years they'll be even. :lol:

i live just out side fo raliegh.

State sucks,

Duke USED to be good,

Carolina is DOMINATING this year.

230702[/snapback]

Not quite the historic rivalry as NC-Duke, but MD-Duke over the last ten years has been an excellant rivalry.

Go TERPS! Think we are going to need to win the tournry again, UGH, losing to Miami say it aint so!!!

so in a few years they'll be even.  :doh:

231092[/snapback]

keep dreaming :lol:

btw, this year's Carolina team is loaded, but they've failed their two toughest tests so far (playing without felton, and playing at Wake)... both those failures were comfortable wins for the opponents.

point is, Roy once again may be coaching a team to become chokers. are the Heels college basketball's version of the Indianapolis Colts... we'll find out... personally, I would love to see an Illinois-UNC matchup... the Heels would be like a 3 pt favorite, and I would bet the house on the Illini

keep dreaming  :doh:

btw, this year's Carolina team is loaded, but they've failed their two toughest tests so far (playing without felton, and playing at Wake)... both those failures were comfortable wins for the opponents.

point is, Roy once again may be coaching a team to become chokers.  are the Heels college basketball's version of the Indianapolis Colts... we'll find out... personally, I would love to see an Illinois-UNC matchup... the Heels would be like a 3 pt favorite, and I would bet the house on the Illini

231133[/snapback]

Yeah you're right. Forget the fact the Heels smashed UK, Ga. Tech, and Maryland. BTW the Heels killed Illinois in Greensboro a year ago. Last year squads are pretty close to what both teams have this year. Other than the fact that the Heels have the best Freshman in the country in Marvin Williams.

After we beat Duke and Uconn this week I will except your apology!!! :lol: