Who are we kidding, with the likes of Orton and McCown.

Tipster19

Our QB situation is a mess. I like EJ and want him to be 'the guy' but the key word there is want, I don't have much faith in him being a starting QB but hopefully I'm wrong. I did want us to sign McCown, only in light of our situation for a QB. I believe that he's a quality person/teammate and would be ample enough being paired with a dominate defense and a ground-n-pound offense. Oh well, how we lost out to Cleveland of all teams is a real head scratcher. As far as Orton goes I was never a player for this clown. I seen enough of him over in Denver.

Where do we go from here? Bradford and Locker are brittle, I would begrudgingly hitch my wagon to them if they were obtained but with bated breath. Sancheze, I can't believe that I'm even considering this guy but I must say that after last year I did see some things in him that I didn't think we're possible but the thing with this guy is that you'll always be waiting for the only shoe to drop with him. Foles? I don't even know if he's a possibility and truthfully, I don't know enough of him to really form a good opinion.

So where does this leave us? Really. Can anyone give a good, wholehearted endorsement of any candidate out there because I can't. I think that our best bet is to just fortify our defense and OL, add and upgrade our RBs, find multiple TEs to compliment our current WRs for a safer passing offense so we can minimize the QB position and get ourselves in a better position for a quality QB in the future.

I believe that the only other way for us to really improve our QB situation is to make a big time trade for one. I don't even know if this is even possible, who it could be and what it would take but that is the only other way that would give me any kind belief. I think that if this were the case the only 2 that would fit this would either be Brees or a distant second in Cutler and with Cutler there is considerable amount of baggage but the guy does have a big time arm and has plenty of starter experience. The one thing I will say about a potential Cutler trade would be that he should be able to be obtained for quite a reasonable price, which is something that we would be able to afford, considering our available draft picks and such.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take a chance on Sanchez or Glennon at this point.

Glennon is not a FA and despite the "rumors" that he's a hot trade item from media "experts" the Bucs took the salary cap route and cut McCown

Glennon is currently the only QB on their roster.

Media pundits may think it makes a lot of sense to trade the only QB on your roster (who is signed for 2 years for a bag of chips and has shown some ability)

I don't, and somehow I doubt any NFL GM worth his sunglasses would agree.

But I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first or the 10th or the 100th time an NFL team has done something that made me explain "what are they thinking?"

Fitz, Glennon, Foles, and Bradford are all under contract.

Fitz did pretty well for the Texans - in fact, he had his best year as a pro and broke even W/L- so even if they re-sign Mallet and draft someone, chances are they keep him.

Ole Fitzy is available for a future first round pick. Git r dun.

The situation is what it is, unfortunately. Unlikely that a good option will become available via trade, they are going to have to bring in some bodies to compete with EJ in camp. The list is not pretty, but there are some game managers who in the right scheme (with a dominant defense) can win us games. The hope right now is that EJ can be the guy.

The second and third tier QB's in the draft are not guys who will likely be able to step in and start immediately. Although I think they should draft a guy like Grayson, Petty, or Mannion depending where they fall. Out of those guys I like Grayson the most. I think Petty will get drafted too early. Entering camp I expect to see something like this.

Manuel

Moore/Locker/Hoyer (in no particular order)

Grayson/Petty/Mannion

Rookie UDFA

Bring is some more bulls on the offensive line, and run the football down our opponent's throats.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

If Rex actually does what he says he will do in building a power run offense, and a top defense then the Bills won't need a flashy gunslinger type QB! All they need is a guy who can manage the game, and move the chains when needed.

The foolish Browns gave up on 7-6 Hoyer, and signed a 1-10* bum in McClown. Cleveland after they played Buffalo last year lost the next four games to finish the year 7-9. Did i mention that those last four games were all against playoff teams in Indy, Cincy, Carolina, and Baltimore. This with Hoyer playing hurt after that Bills game. The last two years Brian Hoyer has gone 10-6 with Cleveland, and that is the best QB performance that team has seen the last 15 years.

Hoyer managed to play well without his best receivers most of the year as Josh Gordon only played in 5 games, and Jordan Cameron played in 9. Then neither one contributed very much last year. I think Hoyer is the best stop gap FA QB on the market, and it remains to be seen if he can develop further in a good offense with good coaching. That is provided the Bills actually do build a decent O line this season, as no QB will play well running for his life.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I am of the opinion that we have to roll with EJ this year. Roll with EJ, draft a QB in 3rd or 4th that's it. Find out once and for all if EJ can be successful and build around him as much as possible to help him out. If it doesn't work, that's OK. Why? Because I believe that next year's QB class is very deep and very impressive. Cook, Kessler, Hogan, Boykin and Prescott are exceptional prospects IMO and Kessler and Cook, especially, have the looks of legimate franchise answers for 10+ years. We can't say that about any of these second class QBs being discussed as FA or trade pick ups.

So find out if EJ has it for sure and if not, take your chances on the better QB class next year with the 1st rounder (or a miracle hit on someone like Petty this year in 3 or 4).

I said this elsewhere, but I don't think it matters much when choosing between McCown, Sanchez, et al...This team isn't going to ask the QB to throw many passes that most journeyman QB's can't do well enough. They are going to hand the ball off, and throw 7 yards (or less) past the line of scrimmage.

I expect them to draft a running back in the 2nd round.

Does this really need a new thread? What would you like them to do? Orton was the best QB they could find last year and McCown was probably the best they could find this year. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. The Bills thought that's what EJ was going to become, hopefully he will. In the meantime you go out and get what's available

I am of the opinion that we have to roll with EJ this year. Roll with EJ, draft a QB in 3rd or 4th that's it.

Why? I mean I'm OK with "roll with EJ" providing he brings it in camp and preseason, I'm OK with drafting a QB in 2-4th round depending on who they like and where he falls, but what would be the argument against bringing in a FA? I don't see any reason they shouldn't.

Why? I mean I'm OK with "roll with EJ" providing he brings it in camp and preseason, I'm OK with drafting a QB in 2-4th round depending on who they like and where he falls, but what would be the argument against bringing in a FA? I don't see any reason they shouldn't.

First, a FA would require a salary, obviously. While it may not be huge, it's sure to be a few million. That money could be used elsewhere.

Second, and more importantly, it provides an excuse not to use EJ for the entire season. If we have a vet backup, the first time EJ struggles or especially if he has 2 or 3 bad games in a row, then there will be discussions of replacing him. This discussion doesn't happen when all you have is Tuel and a rookie 3/4 round QB (unless you find the next Russell Wilson, but I don't see it in this class). I want a full 16 game season to see EJ and EJ only. He either suceeds and we'll be great, does OK and we'll be battling for wildcard, or stinks and we'll be in the top half of the draft. Any way you slice it, at least we know what we have and if it isn't him we can address the situation permanently in the 2016 draft with 4 or 5 top line QB prospects (2 being elite IMO - but not Luck).

I'm sick of stop-gap below average veterans coming in here. I want a young, fresh QB that is going to lead the franchise for 10+ years, not 2 or 3. Hopefully that's EJ, but let's find out and if not, then take another shot in round 1 2016.

Edited by Mark80

First, a FA would require a salary, obviously. While it may not be huge, it's sure to be a few million. That money could be used elsewhere.

Second, and more importantly, it provides an excuse not to use EJ for the entire season. If we have a vet backup, the first time EJ struggles or especially if he has 2 or 3 bad games in a row, then there will be discussions of replacing him. This discussion doesn't happen when all you have is Tuel and a rookie 3/4 round QB (unless you find the next Russell Wilson, but I don't see it in this class). I want a full 16 game season to see EJ and EJ only. He either suceeds and we'll be great, does OK and we'll be battling for wildcard, or stinks and we'll be in the top half of the draft. Any way you slice it, at least we know what we have and if it isn't him we can address the situation permanently in the 2016 draft with 4 or 5 top line QB prospects (2 being elite IMO - but not Luck).

I'm sick of stop-gap below average veterans coming in here. I want a young, fresh QB that is going to lead the franchise for 10+ years, not 2 or 3. Hopefully that's EJ, but let's find out and if not, then take another shot in round 1 2016.

QB is the most important position... So no money can't be used better else where.

Locker and Grayson... Not that hard.

Ej, Sanchez, Hoyer. Not that hard.

Sanchez had a lot of success with Rex early. I read this a lot here "all we need is a game manager" at this point. Sanchez was a great game manager with the Jets his first years. Great defense with Jets. Lots of common denominators.

Hoyer "the destroyer" was doing justice to his nickname. Bring his @ in here too.

The thought of Mcclown was a joke and I was puking on my wifes boobs every day thinking of that possibility.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Ej and Sanchez. Not that hard.

Sanchez had a lot of success with Rex early. I read this a lot here "all we need is a game manager" at this point. Sanchez was a great game manager with the Jets his first years. Great defense with Jets. Lots of common denominators.

No he wasn't... 12TDs 20INTs and a bunch of fumbles.... Edited by Beef Jerky