Breaking Down Roman's Power Running Scheme

The Big Cat

I am not an X's and O's guru but from the chatter on twitter from those who break down film they are saying that SFs run plays under Roman were the most complex in all the league.

Well, we're not re-signing CJ then.

Look, I like the guy, but he hasn't exactly come across as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Well, we're not re-signing CJ then.

Look, I like the guy, but he hasn't exactly come across as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Complex to me reads that the blocking scheme is complex... the RB probably just needs to be taught where the hole is gonna be, and that's about it.

I'm curious to hear how posters with actual knowledge feel this compares to variety, or lack there of, of play call formations under Hackett:

http://billsmafia.com/2015/02/25/breaking-buffalo-bills-oc-greg-romans-power-run-game/

Thanks, a very interesting article. I played a lot of ball when I was younger. We were told you fit the scheme to your players, or you go get the ones you want to run it. But, if you don't have them, then the coach adjusts. One of the things that struck me about this article was, it was a further indictment of Marrone as a coach.

This was awesome: thank you very much. I love these level of breakdowns.

One issue I see, is that the current O line has already shown how bad they can be - these schemes require mobile/agile and coordinated

run blocking. All things the Bills O line is NOT. Not to mention the number of penalties this group would incur.

They draft HUGE O lineman and then expect them to be running all over the place: See 2014 O line draft.

Thoughts?

Complex to me reads that the blocking scheme is complex... the RB probably just needs to be taught where the hole is gonna be, and that's about it.

Then his point stands. If CJ has proven anything since 2010, it's an irreparable inability to find a crease, set up his blocks and/or hit a hole.

Thanks, a very interesting article. I played a lot of ball when I was younger. We were told you fit the scheme to your players, or you go get the ones you want to run it. But, if you don't have them, then the coach adjusts. One of the things that struck me about this article was, it was a further indictment of Marrone as a coach.

by having the largest (est) O-line in the league use a zone blocking scheme?? :doh:

One issue I see, is that the current O line has already shown how bad they can be - these schemes require mobile/agile and coordinated

run blocking. All things the Bills O line is NOT. Not to mention the number of penalties this group would incur.

They draft HUGE O lineman and then expect them to be running all over the place: See 2014 O line draft.

Thoughts?

I think you're referring mainly to pulling guards. And while I'm inclined to agree with you, mostly because of what an abject dumpster fire any/all screen attempts have been over the past two years, I honestly don't recall their being much success OR failure in this specific (pulling guards) area.

I don't remember seeing it called very frequently. Perhaps because of lack of talent. Perhaps I'm completely wrong. But my gut tells me we don't have enough of an in-game sample-size to say our guards can/can't pull.

Then his point stands. If CJ has proven anything since 2010, it's an irreparable inability to find a crease, set up his blocks and/or hit a hole.

I thought he was improving with that under Gailey, but then regressed in that regard under Marrone. Hm...

I thought he was improving with that under Gailey, but then regressed in that regard under Marrone. Hm...

Not entirely true. Gailey opened up MASSIVE holes for him or got him the ball in the flat with but a single defender within 15 yards. He didn't ask CJ to go inside or let plays develop.

Im thinking that Spiller wanting to break everything to the outside....when Romans' blocking schemes create holes between the tackles is what will do CJ Spiller in......

It might do Bryce Brown in as well.....who also likes to break things outside.

Thoughts?

This would def apply to last year for certain.....

Its all about the OG's......last years OG's didnt

- Move anyone around because their pad level was to naturally high

also

- Not mobile enough to pull and block on the move

I actually think Cog is better at both of these things....and I am almost certain that another G that fits the above needs is on his way in free agency

I'm curious to hear how posters with actual knowledge feel this compares to variety, or lack there of, of play call formations under Hackett:

http://billsmafia.com/2015/02/25/breaking-buffalo-bills-oc-greg-romans-power-run-game/

what are the common factors?

Are both O-Lines equivalent in talent? Comparable RB's FB's?

personnel matters as much as coaching IMO

One of the things that struck me about this article was, it was a further indictment of Marrone as a coach.

Right- I saw that too. The indictment being bills olineman are physically better suited for power running vertical scheme over zone blocking. It's a little hard to simply accept this as overall truth if Marrones core competency that propelled him to an HC job was that same area. But he could have arrogantly thought he could coach big bodies to be agile zone blockers and have it all. OR maybe whaley and maronne were disconnected here.

I'd add I belive spiller would have done much better if you told him where to run and put a hole there as opposed to having him go to daylight.

Fair enough.

I will say, though, CJ has proven me wrong...on at least one occasion. I still get chills when I think about the 36 yard TD run he had in Toronto against Atlanta in 2013. By far the best run of his career. The way he cut and accelerated with perfect patience and timing showed exactly what he's capable of doing. Problem is, he RARELY shows that kind of patience and timing:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Buffalo-Bills-running-back-CJ-Spiller-36-yard-touchdown/18a4919f-466e-4a7d-8779-dd5a404d3164