High School Coach Suspended After His Team Won 161-2

truth on hold

These are high school kids. In pro sports, or major college, I agree with you. But some girls who just want to play some basketball shouldn't have to be full court pressed by the starters of an elite team for the entire first half until the score hits 100-1.

As for throwing in the towel, hell no. That's not what you teach kids. They need to see it through. Quitting isn't the answer. However, one would hope that the opposing coach would have a heart (or some sportsmanship) and not try to prove some point against 16 year old girls.

All that being said, I wouldn't suspend him a few games for it. I'd take a long look at him at the end of the year and decide - based on his entire body of work - if winning was worth it. If it is then you get what you pay for. If not, you fire him and hire somebody more in line with what you're trying to teach your students.

In other words...don't teach kids to quit when they're behind. Teach them to quit when they're ahead.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be some sort of mercy rule in all scholastic sports. I don't want to hear any of the "in the real world, there are no mercy rules," crap. It's high school girls basketball, which is usually the sport where these routs occur.

The coach of the winning team should be fired. He failed on a lot of levels.

The coach of the losing team should consider a different line of work. His team made only two foul shots in an entire basketball game.

He tried to get a running clock in the third, officials said no. He made his players stop shooting until the shot clock almost expired. What is he supposed to do? Tell his team to turn it over and give them easy lanes to the basket?

Hey, I am not defending myself. Would be totally improper. But I am pretty sure 13- year old me couldn't care less and blood would be shed.

This would've gotten chippy in my day, too.

Don't wanna lose? Don't suck. Can't handle losing? Buy a skirt, Sally and welcome to the real world where you're always going to be someone's B word.

You don't see anything wrong with what the winning coach did?

The losing team didn't file a complaint. The worst thing the losing coach said was that the winning coach has long been known to be a bad sport. Seems true.

He tried to get a running clock in the third, officials said no. He made his players stop shooting until the shot clock almost expired. What is he supposed to do? Tell his team to turn it over and give them easy lanes to the basket?

No. You challenge your team to win in another way. When my team is playing a worse opponent, and we know the win is going to be easy, we don't run up the score because there's nothing to be learned in that. I challenge them to win in a way that works on a skill they need to work on.

How about if he had all his players shoot lefty? There's almost no kid that can use both hands. How about if he made them only pass with no dribbles. Always a great skill. How about if he had them play zone instead of full court press for a half. Maybe move his guards inside and have his bigger players play outside. Have weaker dribblers bring the ball up the court. So many ways to make it into a learning experience.

A million ways to coach in that game. If you coach your team to a 160-2 win, you're a douche. It's not against the rules, but that doesn't make you any less of a bad coach, bad sport, and bad role model.

Edited by Observer

When I was playing college lacrosse, my coach (who was kind of a lunatic) got pissed at the opposing coach because he was complaining that the goals weren't regulation. After a mild verbal dispute and the refs intervening, my coach huddled us up and told us to "beat the living s**t out of those mother****ers." We were ranked like 2 or 3 in the country, and the other team was terrible. I think we ended up beating them like 48-1 or something like that. I remember feeling bad.

When I was playing college lacrosse, my coach (who was kind of a lunatic) got pissed at the opposing coach because he was complaining that the goals weren't regulation. After a mild verbal dispute and the refs intervening, my coach huddled us up and told us to "beat the living s**t out of those mother****ers." We were ranked like 2 or 3 in the country, and the other team was terrible. I think we ended up beating them like 48-1 or something like that. I remember feeling bad.

But the losing team in the basketball game sounds so physically inferior have to believe they would have gotten the short end of the stick too if the game had gotten rough

The losing team didn't file a complaint. The worst thing the losing coach said was that the winning coach has long been known to be a bad sport. Seems true.

No. You challenge your team to win in another way. When my team is playing a worse opponent, and we know the win is going to be easy, we don't run up the score because there's nothing to be learned in that. I challenge them to win in a way that works on a skill they need to work on.

How about if he had all his players shoot lefty? There's almost no kid that can use both hands. How about if he made them only pass with no dribbles. Always a great skill. How about if he had them play zone instead of full court press for a half. Maybe move his guards inside and have his bigger players play outside. Have weaker dribblers bring the ball up the court. So many ways to make it into a learning experience.

A million ways to coach in that game. If you coach your team to a 160-2 win, you're a douche. It's not against the rules, but that doesn't make you any less of a bad coach, bad sport, and bad role model.

Great post.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I'd rather get blown out by a team actually playing basketball, instead of a team who doesn't respect me enough to not handicap themselves. Or doesn't respect me so much that they turn the game into a goofy practice.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I'd rather get blown out by a team actually playing basketball, instead of a team who doesn't respect me enough to not handicap themselves. Or doesn't respect me so much that they turn the game into a goofy practice.

I respect sportsmanship. Maybe that makes me more modern.

160 point wins in youth sports is not that. Shooting left handed is not "goofy." It's teaching. Teaching skills and sportsmanship.

My teams (the ones I played on and the ones I coach) have been blown out. I don't complain. It happens. But there are right ways to win and wrong ways. 160-2 is never going to be right. Never. Not even if the other coach peed in your Cheerios.

Edited by Observer

This sounds worse than actually destroying them.

160 point wins in youth sports is not that. Shooting left handed is not "goofy." It's teaching. Teaching skills and sportsmanship.

My teams (the ones I played on and the ones I coach) have been blown out. I don't complain. It happens. But there are right ways to win and wrong ways. 160-2 is never going to be right. Never. Not even if the other coach peed in your Cheerios.

Quesion for those with kids: is it a valid assumption that kids will be scarred due to such a loss? Don't kids shake things off pretty quickly? I remember playing school sports and just remember being more impressed with the opponent after a big loss that anything else. Wondering if any of the opposition could be pros someday. The actual score wasn't something I'd really focus on. Edited by JTSP

Actually, Title IX is to blame for this.

Schools are basically forced to field woman's teams in the name of "gender equality", even when there are not enough woman athletes to go around.

Yeah, equality is for wusses. Why give the weaker sex a chance to play? That's what's wrong with this country . . . Hurumph, Hurumph

Having your team shoot lefty is like someone boxing with an arm behind his back. If a team had done something like that to my team in my day, the benches would've been cleared.

No greater show of disrespect than someone handicapping themselves for you. They sat their starters, and tried to possess the ball as long as possible to end the game. The refs should've mercy ruled the game at half, IMO

This sounds worse than actually destroying them.

My thoughts exactly. Like rubbing salt in the wound. Might as well have had the players put on blindfolds.

You make the losing team sound as if they are victims. They were obviously over matched, but why is the winning team the villain? If it's truly that traumatic to lose that badly, then the coach of the losing team should have ended the game at the half.

You make the losing team sound as if they are victims. They were obviously over matched, but why is the winning team the villain? If it's truly that traumatic to lose that badly, then the coach of the losing team should have ended the game at the half.

So to you quitting is the better teaching option, interesting.

The coach should have stopped pressing very early in the first half. As someone suggested up thread he also could have had his players switch positions. That poster is being ridiculed because he suggested players use their off hand. As per usual for this place people glom onto the one piece they dislike and disregard the rest. Couldn't his worst ball handlers have used this opportunity to be the ones bringing the ball up the court; setting up and running plays? How about no shots until X number of passes?

There are options, better options, than to beat a team by 160 points.

"Shooting lefty is like telling them to play with an arm tied behind their back."

Maybe if they are shooting 3s but not in the paint. Shooting lefty inside is an important basketball skill and most players, especially kids, totally blow at it. Most adults can't do it either unless they are perhaps post players.

Working on a skill turns the game into something of value for the winning team. What value is winning by 160 points?

I'm assuming most people here played sports. When you showed up to play Sr. Mary's School for the Poor and knew you'd win the game by 90 plus, did your coach put the starters in and start throwing 50 yard bombs until you were up by 80? Or did you have a better coach who tried to help some other players on your team develop some skills?

(In high school, the 50 yard bombs might have been the developing skill since most high school teams can't throw for beans but you get the point.)

"Shooting lefty is like telling them to play with an arm tied behind their back."

Maybe if they are shooting 3s but not in the paint. Shooting lefty inside is an important basketball skill and most players, especially kids, totally blow at it. Most adults can't do it either unless they are perhaps post players.

Working on a skill turns the game into something of value for the winning team. What value is winning by 160 points?

I'm assuming most people here played sports. When you showed up to play Sr. Mary's School for the Poor and knew you'd win the game by 90 plus, did your coach put the starters in and start throwing 50 yard bombs until you were up by 80? Or did you have a better coach who tried to help some other players on your team develop some skills?

(In high school, the 50 yard bombs might have been the developing skill since most high school teams can't throw for beans but you get the point.)

You're totally right, I completely forgot about layups, I was thinking jumpers.

I don't think I was ever on the winning side of a match like this.

So to you quitting is the better teaching option, interesting.

The coach should have stopped pressing very early in the first half. As someone suggested up thread he also could have had his players switch positions. That poster is being ridiculed because he suggested players use their off hand. As per usual for this place people glom onto the one piece they dislike and disregard the rest. Couldn't his worst ball handlers have used this opportunity to be the ones bringing the ball up the court; setting up and running plays? How about no shots until X number of passes?

There are options, better options, than to beat a team by 160 points.

Got a quick question for you BB. Let's say all those things you suggested occur. What do you think the final score would be? 120 - 10? Maybe 110-20? At that point, what is the difference? Is a 100 point loss really better than a 160 point loss?