MMQB: Why Rex Ryan Makes Sense in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

A refreshing face for the franchise, Ryan cements the Bills defensive strength while joining forces with Greg Roman, a brilliant offensive coordinator. The last time he had a young-but-flawed quarterback and a defense this good, he went to back-to-back AFC Championship Games

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/15/nfl-head-coaching-changes-rex-ryan-jim-tomsula-todd-bowles-jack-del-rio/

I'm intrigued on who Rex settles on as his quarterback. This will be critical and the difference between a 7-9 season or an 11-5ish season. We all know that.

My gut tells me there will be a reunion with Mark Sanchez (which I'm on the fence about, honestly).

I think EJ's chances are pretty slim of not only being the starter, but even being on the 53 man roster come opening day. The lost faith in him league-wide is actually pretty astonishing!

I'm thinking either Cutler or Sanchez get brought in, and our 2nd or 3rd RD pick is a quarterback to develop.

I'm not sure what to think of the Whaley comments about "teaching EJ" to be a good QB. Ergo I wouldn't say EJ is done for in Buffalo.

I'm intrigued on who Rex settles on as his quarterback. This will be critical and the difference between a 7-9 season or an 11-5ish season. We all know that.

My gut tells me there will be a reunion with Mark Sanchez (which I'm on the fence about, honestly).

I think EJ's chances are pretty slim of not only being the starter, but even being on the 53 man roster come opening day. The lost faith in him league-wide is actually pretty astonishing!

I'm thinking either Cutler or Sanchez get brought in, and our 2nd or 3rd RD pick is a quarterback to develop.

I really wish and feel like I should be more excited about Rex Ryan but Im just not. Rex is getting way too much of a free pass for the last 4 years of mostly bad football. I dont completely buy into the blaming the front office and GM excuse, Rex was still the head coach and what Ive witnessed on the field the last couple years has not been good. The merry go round at QB this season was just ridiculous. What was the point of switching to Vick and even more stupid what was the point of switching back to Geno? Geno deserved to be benched in the first Bills game but the Jets were not going anywhere so what was the point of starting Vick the following week? The Jets were an absolute mess last season which Rex has to take some of the blame for.

Im confident like everyone else Rex will have this defense playing lights out but I am not thrilled with changing defenses yet again. It feels a lot like taking a step back that they didnt need to take in order to step forward.

On the other hand looking at what teams like SF and Oakland have done which reminds me of what Bills used to do and I feel a little better about Rex. I do like the Greg Roman hire though and look forward to some smash mouth football which I have been begging for Marrone to do especially with this defense.

Good article. King gets it quite often.

First off King didn't right it. Andy Benoit did. King has been a skeptic along. A naysayer to boot. So just like in a previous post King is right twice a day like a broken clock! Thanks for your time. Carry on. Go BILLS! May Ryan/Roman send King off to his plate of crow.

First off King didn't right it. Andy Benoit did. King has been a skeptic along. A naysayer to boot. So just like in a previous post King is right twice a day like a broken clock! Thanks for your time. Carry on. Go BILLS! May Ryan/Roman send King off to his plate of crow.

Thanks for that correction. I actually looked for the byline before I typed that. And saw Peter King at the top, which turned out to be just the MMQB byline. I fukking hate those sites that load like that where you sometimes get a distorted view of it before it fully loads. I didn't bother looking on the right where it was the Andy Benoit article.

Thanks again for clearing that up. I do think King often gets it right though. He often gets it wrong but everyone does. He's just got a decent baseball batting average IMO.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I really wish and feel like I should be more excited about Rex Ryan but Im just not. Rex is getting way too much of a free pass for the last 4 years of mostly bad football. I dont completely buy into the blaming the front office and GM excuse, Rex was still the head coach and what Ive witnessed on the field the last couple years has not been good. The merry go round at QB this season was just ridiculous. What was the point of switching to Vick and even more stupid what was the point of switching back to Geno? Geno deserved to be benched in the first Bills game but the Jets were not going anywhere so what was the point of starting Vick the following week? The Jets were an absolute mess last season which Rex has to take some of the blame for.Im confident like everyone else Rex will have this defense playing lights out but I am not thrilled with changing defenses yet again. It feels a lot like taking a step back that they didnt need to take in order to step forward.On the other hand looking at what teams like SF and Oakland have done which reminds me of what Bills used to do and I feel a little better about Rex. I do like the Greg Roman hire though and look forward to some smash mouth football which I have been begging for Marrone to do especially with this defense.

If you look back on their season, the Jets were actually a lot more competitive than we probably think. They only got blown out three times- twice by us- and came damn close to beating the Pats twice, the Broncos, and the Packers. In 2013 it was a downright miracle that they went 8-8, according to preseason analysis.

I don't have an answer to how they handled their QBs, but I kind of lean toward giving them a pass since they were both pretty bad.

I'll repeat what I suggested in another thread:

There is a continuing myth around here that we should've hired an offensive-minded coach because our D is already solid.

This represents flawed and uncreative business logic.

In fact the opposite is true.

Hire the best maximizer of your core asset. We did that by hiring Rex.

Additionally, Rex Ryan ALREADY knows more about Buffalo's offensive personnel than anyone else in the league. Why? Because he had to gameplan against it twice a year. He is uniquely positioned to help fix the offense because he knows exactly what it's strengths and weaknesses are. Why hire an offensive consultant when you can hire the defensive strategist who had to study your offense already?

You folks have it backwards.

Good points. Rex>Schwartz. If we brought in a Offensuve minded guy as HC and retained Schwartz, he would have been likely to have left the following year for a HC opportunity, requiring a new DC anyways. Rex gives us year to year stability on our best side of the ball to allow the front office and coaching staff to focus in improving offensively

This season will certainly be interesting and best of luck to the new coaches, at least Rex took the time to do some research for his performance, however I seriously doubt if he was aware of much of the AFL much less Cookie Gilchrist and Billy Shaw given that his age is 52. The Bills haven't even thought to retire HOFamer, All Time AFL, and Wall of Famer Billy Shaw's number!!! The first player mentioned by Rex.