Bills Offseason

Obviously I am no GM & I don't have the insight or knowledge of Tom Donahoe but based on the things I know and have read this is my educated guess on what I think the Bills should do this off.

Cut Drew Bledsoe before he is due his roster bonus (March 2) & save $2.2 million on the cap

Resign Shane Matthews for 1 year for the league minimum and because he is a 10 year vet the Bills can get extra cap relief. Matthews performed well in the preseason and in his only regular season appearance. He is a veteran who has been with these coaches for a year & been in the league for a long time under many systems and he could help with the development of Losman.

Rework & extend Eric Moulds deal to give the team some cap relief this year & don't hurt yourself against the cap on this deal for future years.

Cut Pierson Prioleau and save 1.2-1.5 on the cap and consider resigning him for the league minimum where he could battle Coy Wire & rookies for backup strong safety

Trade Travis Henry this offseason for a draft pick or two in the 2006 draft. Teams will be more willing to give up more for Henry in '06 than in '05. Also the '06 draft should be a stronger draft than the '05 draft.

Let Jonas Jennings go & sign 2 offensive linemen to upgrade the offensive line

Perhaps Walter Jones or Orlando Pace at tackle & Keydrick Vincent or whatever combo OL that is available to upgrade OLT & OLG

Try to resign Pat Williams at a very reasonable cost. If he will be too much then use remaing available cap room to extend Nate Clements contract or to sign other free angent(s)

Draft

2nd round Mike Nugent K Ohio St.

3rd round best CB available - Corey Webster L.S.U. or Fabian Washington Nebraska or Ronald Bartell Howard

4th round Courtney Roby WR Indiana or Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

5th round Roger Cooper LB Montana St.

6th round Stefan LeFors QB Louisville

7th round Brandon Jacobs RB Southern Illinois

UFA Adrian McPherson QB Nashville Kats (AFL)

Obviously I am no GM & I don't have the insight or knowledge of Tom Donahoe but based on the things I know and have read this is my educated guess on what I think the Bills should do this off.

229272[/snapback]

Here's my quick plan(s).

1. Rework Bledsoe and Moulds' contracts.

2. Re-sign Jonas Jennings to a contract worth between $3.5 - $4.4 million per year.

*3a. Attempt to re-sign Pat Williams to a cap friendly dead (no more then $3 mi)

**3b. IF Pat walks go after LG Rick DeMulling

4. Trade Travis Henry to Tampa Bay for their 3rd Round pick (roughly pick 69 overall).

5. Cut Prioleau.

6. Re-sign Matthews to two year contract (2005 is Drew's final season as a Bill).

7. Re-sign CB Kevin Thomas to two year contract (to serve as dime/nickel back).

DRAFT:

*Round 2: If Pat re-signed there's a need for a LG, use pick on OG Evan Mathis, Alabama.

**Round 2: If Pat unsigned, there's no need for a LG, use pick on CB

Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma.

*Round 3A: (from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is re-signed CB Bryant McFadden, FSU

**Round 3A:(from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is unsigned K Mike Nugent, Ohio State

Round 3B: DE Jimmy Verdon, Arizona State

Round 4: WR Roydell Williams, Tulane

Round 5: LB Derek Wake, PSU

Round 6: RB Noah Herron, Northwestern

*Round 7: Scenario if Pat is re-signed: K Jonathan Nichols, Ole Miss

**Round 7: Scenario if Pat is unsigned: OL Willie McNeill, North Carolina

Cut Drew Bledsoe before he is due his roster bonus (March 2) & save $2.2 million on the cap

Resign Shane Matthews for 1 year for the league minimum and because he is a 10 year vet the Bills can get extra cap relief. Matthews performed well in the preseason and in his only regular season appearance. He is a veteran who has been with these coaches for a year & been in the league for a long time under many systems and he could help with the development of Losman.

Rework & extend Eric Moulds deal to give the team some cap relief this year & don't hurt yourself against the cap on this deal for future years.

Cut Pierson Prioleau and save 1.2-1.5 on the cap and consider resigning him for the league minimum where he could battle Coy Wire & rookies for backup strong safety

Trade Travis Henry this offseason for a draft pick or two in the 2006 draft. Teams will be more willing to give up more for Henry in '06 than in '05. Also the '06 draft should be a stronger draft than the '05 draft.

Perhaps Walter Jones or Orlando Pace at tackle & Keydrick Vincent or whatever combo OL that is available to upgrade OLT & OLG

Try to resign Pat Williams at a very reasonable cost. If he will be too much then use remaing available cap room to extend Nate Clements contract or to sign other free angent(s)

Draft

2nd round  Mike Nugent K Ohio St.

3rd round best CB available - Corey Webster L.S.U. or Fabian Washington Nebraska or Ronald Bartell Howard

4th round  Courtney Roby WR Indiana or Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

229272[/snapback]

I agree 100% with your 1st move :P and your 2nd move isn't too bad,

but I'd make sure Nate was extended before looking at any other areas.

If Moulds' contract has to be reworked first to get Nate his money, so be it.

TD can't afford to let a stud like him go, that's far more important than any OL or DL moves. Upgrades to either of those units will be subtle compared to the huge downgrade if Nate left town.

My offseason moves would be:

1. Cut or trade Drew Bledsoe before his roster bonus comes due.

2. Sign Kurt Warner

3. Cut Eric Moulds to free up cap space.

4. Sign Isaac Bruce if available; if not sign the best possession WR I can.

5. Use Moulds cap space to re-sign Jennings, or to bring in OL free agents.

6. Extend Clements and re-sign Pat Williams.

7. Use the draft to shore up whatever needs I missed in free agency--TE, interior OL, K, etc.

Once these changes were finished, I'd have a significantly upgraded passing game; the offensive line would be improved, the defense solidified, and the cap situation would be taken care of.

This is not the way the cap works. It is NEVER better for the team to cut a player and resign him cheaper. In effect he now counts twice on the cap. If they want to keep him, they can work out some kind of pay cut, but he will not be released and resigned.

Obviously he has to cut all 52 players currently surrounding Bledsoe and not contributing. And then he has to sign 52 All-Pros so that Drew can have the kind of season he so richly deserves and has so far been unjustly denied because of the dregs that he's been forced to play with. :P

Go Whitey, go.

Here's my quick plan(s).

1. Rework Bledsoe and Moulds' contracts.

2. Re-sign Jonas Jennings to a contract worth between $3.5 - $4.4 million per year.

*3a. Attempt to re-sign Pat Williams to a cap friendly dead (no more then $3 mi)

**3b. IF Pat walks go after LG Rick DeMulling

4. Trade Travis Henry to Tampa Bay for their 3rd Round pick (roughly pick 69 overall).

5. Cut Prioleau.

6. Re-sign Matthews to two year contract (2005 is Drew's final season as a Bill).

7. Re-sign CB Kevin Thomas to two year contract (to serve as dime/nickel back).

DRAFT:

*Round 2: If Pat re-signed there's a need for a LG, use pick on OG Evan Mathis, Alabama.

**Round 2: If Pat unsigned, there's no need for a LG, use pick on CB

Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma.

*Round 3A: (from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is re-signed  CB Bryant McFadden, FSU

**Round 3A:(from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is unsigned K Mike Nugent, Ohio State

Round 3B: DE Jimmy Verdon, Arizona State

Round 4:  WR Roydell Williams, Tulane

Round 5:  LB Derek Wake, PSU

Round 6: RB Noah Herron, Northwestern

*Round 7: Scenario if Pat is re-signed:  K Jonathan Nichols, Ole Miss

**Round 7: Scenario if Pat is unsigned: OL Willie McNeill, North Carolina

229335[/snapback]

I don't think we need a 12 game/year slightly above average LT for $4 Mill.

Can't we get someone else?

My offseason moves would be:

1. Cut or trade Drew Bledsoe before his roster bonus comes due.

2. Sign Kurt Warner

3. Cut Eric Moulds to free up cap space.

4. Sign Isaac Bruce if available; if not sign the best possession WR I can.

5. Use Moulds cap space to re-sign Jennings, or to bring in OL free agents.

6. Extend Clements and re-sign Pat Williams.

7. Use the draft to shore up whatever needs I missed in free agency--TE, interior OL, K, etc.

Once these changes were finished, I'd have a significantly upgraded passing game; the offensive line would be improved, the defense solidified, and the cap situation would be taken care of.

229361[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding with Kurt Warner.

He is as bad as Drew, not mention that he can't play the versatle offense that MM has designed for JP.

Pointless to have a backup that can't execute the base offense.

Draft

2nd round  Mike Nugent K Ohio St.

4th round  Courtney Roby WR Indiana or Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

229272[/snapback]

I would like to see all of that myself, minus the Shane Mathews part. If we don't get any of the OL we would like, I think we should make a run at the top pass rusher.

He is as bad as Drew, not mention that he can't play the versatle offense that MM has designed for JP.

229428[/snapback]

Kurt's QB rating is ten points higher than Drew's. Kurt didn't have an offensive line down in NY; while Drew's line came together to provide good pass protection for all but the first six games or so. It's safe to say that Kurt did a lot more with a lot less. He seems to be well on his way back to being the player who'd cut up opposing defenses like a man among boys.

Thanks for your ideas. I'd|

1. Do pretty much what TD is doing and tell Bledsoe I plan to cut him if he doesn't renegotiate to a cheaper deal. My hope of the two choices is that Bledsoe will in fact negotiate to a cheaper deal and convinces me that he is a teamer rather than a child and is confident enough in himself to compete with JP on the field and believe that MM and crew will choose the best man for the job based on their on-field performance.

By far the best outcome for the Bills strikes me as him negotiating out to a smaller cap hit him being correct in trusting in MM in deciding their on-field performace fairly. I see this as the best outcome because we can deal with the accelerated cap hit of cutting him but it will really be tough on the is team to do so as the combined cap cost of the accelerated cap hit AND the cost of signing the most credible @2 we can will likely exceed the cap cost of keeping him with his agreed to contract.

Bledsoe played the role of the #2 perfectly for Brady when this situation was forced upon them and it would be a wonderful thing if he played this same #2 role for a JP who proved on the field he was ready for the starter's job. If JP isn't ready to start and needs to be benched, i doubt the Bills will make it to the SB (or simply make the playoffs with Bledsoe as the starter, but there is a chance that we could make the playoffs with Bledsoe if he repeats the same level of improvement in his production from the '04 season to the '05 season that he showed with his improvement from horrid in '03 to more productive though still inadequate in '04.

2. Matthews did well in his brief appearance in '04 but my understanding is that it has been printed in the media without any correction by Matthews that he plans to return to the couch the Bills rescued him from and retire from pro football adter last seaaon. Barring hearing something otherwise from Matthews I think he is done and should not be counted upon.

3. I agree that we should definitely take Moulds up on his offer and redo his deal so he retires a Bill and we reduce his immediate cap hit.

4. I like Prioleau as a player and feel he has been a difference maker for the Bills on a number of plays during his career. However, his contributions do not equal his cap hit and I would simply cut him.

5. I'd trade TH for sure, but not for the fantasy league speculation of some draft choice but for a player (even a lesser one than TH straight-up if that player feels a need for us this year. I'd even be willing to throw in a draft choice with TH for a player like TE McMichael of the Fins. I actually think TD is headed exactly in this direction saying that he wants a 2nd for TH and throwing gas on the media flames of Miami interest when he knows they do not have a second to trade for him.

6, I'm pretty willing to let JJ go also because I think if we resign him it will probably cost us a $5 million or so cap hit and when you combine that with almost $6 million cap hit MW is scheduled to get this year the two of them alone will take up about 1/8 of Bills total cap and I do not see us devoting cap space beyond current contract levels to any new player on the OL. I'm intrigued by a concept I sae on TSW today of trading TH to AZ for Cards former LT Shelton, his $3 million annual salary and cap hit would be quite manageable for us and give us value for Henry in '05 rather than some speculative draft choice who even if he works out it not likely to provide us with any return until '06 or later.

7. I also try to resign PW but only for a relatively small raise and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose him.

in no real order...

1. Trade Henry - OT L.J. Shelton of the Cards would be a nice prize. Package Henry with Bledsoe and maybe a draft pick.

2. Get Bledsoe off this roster- no more fools gold

3. Re-sign OT Marcus Price and Identify an OT and LG on the Free Agency market.

4. Sign a Vet QB who has some mobility and isn't a turnover machine. Charlie Batch of Pittsburgh knows the Offense. Consider others.

5. Re-sign Pat Williams , if his expectations are reasonable.

6. Redo Moulds contract - 2005 cap hit is $8,775,000.

7. Sign a TE in Free Agency. Campbell and Euhus both coming off knee surgery.

8. Sign a Vet RB in Free Agency. Versatile sort who can block, catch. A Roland Hooks, Rob Riddick, Kenny Davis type to back up Willis.

9. A Vet DE would be a good idea in Free Agency.

10. Sign a solid K in Free Agency or consider Nugent in Round 2. He's worth it. Cut Lindell .

11. Sign a Vet WR for a solid #3 option.

I would like to see Nate Clements re-signed but I believe he will sit tight until after 2005 and test the FA waters.

Draft day - CB,OL,S and general depth.

TD has lots of work to do.

229428[/snapback]

Plus he has a noodle arm. His QB rating behind the Bills O-line last year & the winds at the Ralph would have been about 45.5

Give it up people. Tom Donahoe wont let Bledsoe go after giving him that huge pep rally. The most significant problem on this bills team is the offensive line.

Why is it that willis does not run up the middle? I will tell you THE FUGGIN CENTER STINKS.

Look for a beefed up offensive line in this 2005 off season.

Also, Tom Donahoe better get a reliable TE plus another WR. Need to take Mcghee out of the secondary. I have gained too many gray hairs with him back there.

GO PHILADELPHIA EAGLES CRUSH THE BRADY BUNCH :P

in no real order...

1. Trade Henry - OT L.J. Shelton of the Cards would be a nice prize. Package Henry with Bledsoe and maybe a draft pick.

2. Get Bledsoe off this roster- no more fools gold

3. Re-sign OT Marcus Price and Identify an OT and LG on the Free Agency market.

4. Sign a Vet QB who has some mobility and isn't a turnover machine. Charlie Batch of Pittsburgh knows the Offense. Consider others.

5. Re-sign Pat Williams , if his expectations are reasonable.

6. Redo Moulds contract - 2005 cap hit is $8,775,000.

7. Sign a TE in Free Agency. Campbell and Euhus both coming off knee surgery.

8. Sign a Vet RB in Free Agency. Versatile sort who can block, catch. A Roland Hooks, Rob Riddick, Kenny Davis type to back up Willis.

9. A Vet DE would be a good idea in Free Agency.

10. Sign a solid K in Free Agency or consider Nugent in Round 2. He's worth it. Cut Lindell .

11. Sign a Vet WR for a solid #3 option. 

I would like to see Nate Clements re-signed but I believe he will sit tight until after 2005 and test the FA waters.

Draft day - CB,OL,S and general depth.

TD has lots of work to do.

229583[/snapback]

What exactly is it that you like about Batch? Can he run? Sure, but since an early flash or 2 in his career, he seems to be running toward the bench, perhaps even the unemployment line. Batch imo is RJ with perhaps en extra dance step.

To want Bach over Drew indicates one (or both) of two things.....

A blind hatred for Drew, or

A blind faith that JP is Canton Bound.

Personally, I would rather Drew stay and fight JP for the job rather than go with a choice of a guy who has proven that he cannot win a starting job on any team, and a guy who has proven that he can get hurt when a small player brushes up against him.

1) Sack Bledsoe like cheap potatoes and get Losman ready with an intense offseason in Buffalo.

2) Kick Rian Lindell's sorry a$$ outta Buffalo.

3) Re-sign Tim Krumrie and Don Blackmon to the coaching staff.

4) Re-sign Pat Williams.

5) Restructure Eric Moulds.

6) Extend Nate Clements.

7) Re-sign Jonas Jennings if he agrees to a cap friendly deal.

8) Sign a UFA TE like Bubba Franks or Itulu Mili.

9) Sign a UFA Guard like Rick DeMulling, Joe Andruzzi, or Marco Rivera.

10) Sign or draft a reliable 3rd WR (Dane Looker).

11) Sign a UFA K (Todd Peterson) or draft a new Kicker (Hopefully Mike Nugent).