What if our new coach is worse than Marrone?

Marrone wasn't forced out by anyone except his own arrogance and poor decision making on when to go for an extension. 9-7 is not a good bargaining chip for anything even if it is the first winning season in 10 years by the Buffalo Bills.

It's a good start is all it is.

You know, I understand this. But from Marrone's perspective, he was kinda stuck between a rock and hard place. He wasn't a Pegula hire. There was no loyalty there. I think, in his position, I would have tried to go for a extension as well. That's just the business.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely the most ridiculous what if post I've ever read

If they screw it up we will still be Bills fans.. and we will move on again and again if need be.

I will embrace whomever they choose just like I have many times before and hope for the best as usual

So you would have thought about firing Harbaugh after his first season?

That's kinda foolish, no?

I can't EVER remember a first or second year HC winning a SB. Let alone in the modern era.

Like i said, we all think we know best what a winning organization looks like. After 4-5 games this year i started having my doubts. I was supportive of Marrone til the Oakland game, even after he benched EJ, which i was very much against.

When we lost to Oakland i personally was done. The NE game grossed me out for whatever reason, and the way he quit made it open season on him for me.

Or he's a highly competent coach who took one look at a clown like Jerry Sullivan and said "I'm better than this, and dealing with this guy is beneath me. Any job anywhere is better than listening to these small-time hacks prattle on."

So, he takes his skills to the competition. This scenario is more likely than yours.

You aren't automatically an egomanic, because you say "I'm not taking this crap from you buffoons". You simply have self-respect.

To go deal with Mannish Mehta? Yeah, right.

This is very true. I didn't want Doug out, but he left. I would now promote Schwartz and Pepper Johnson, and see what Hackett can do outside of Doug's shadow. (also curious to see if Doug called Hackett about leaving, or if Hackett got the same txt the team did).

Does the defense have time for this trial and error stuff?

You know, I understand this. But from Marrone's perspective, he was kinda stuck between a rock and hard place. He wasn't a Pegula hire. There was no loyalty there. I think, in his position, I would have tried to go for a extension as well. That's just the business.

No loyalty there, but if he could have improved by one win in 2015 he would have built huge loyalty. He either didnt belive in himself, or the team, or both.

Like i said, we all think we know best what a winning organization looks like. After 4-5 games this year i started having my doubts. I was supportive of Marrone til the Oakland game, even after he benched EJ, which i was very much against.

When we lost to Oakland i personally was done. The NE game grossed me out for whatever reason, and the way he quit made it open season on him for me.

I know that a winning organization does not have 3 different HC's in 4 years.

Let's accept, for the sake of argument, the OP's point that the media drove Marrone out of town. What does that say about Marrone?

What Marrone endured from the media and the fans of this city paled in comparison to what Ej Manuel has endured from the media and fans. One quits on his players, coaches, and fans...while the other accepts it all with professionalism, supports the other players, and works hard every day to try to improve.

Which one of those was the tough, 50 year old, ex-NFL lineman....and which one was the 24 year old kid?

BTW, I don't believe the media drove him out; however, I don't care why he left. Any reason you give doesn't make him look any better....

It seems pretty clear from all the evidence he quit because his agent supposedly had the Jets job lined up and Doug would be able to double dip on his salary (not a bad business move by any means, just questionable on the ethical front).

It appears now either his reputation has scared the Jets away or they are afraid of a tampering charge, especially considering the Pats-Revis incident and the rumor about having an extension in place.

Any "the media made him quit" or "he was afraid about not having a QB or a 1st round pick" is bs spin from either side.

What if he's waaaaay worse? Has anyone bothered to ask themselves that question?

I know the Buffalo sports media hasn't. I know the professional Bills hater Chris Mortensen hasn't...but that's because no matter what we do, it's wrong....unless of course we hire Tom Donahoe to be GM again. Then Chris will forgive us.

The media ran Marrone out of town(without much thought), and are still killing hiim with story after story. They are the story now.

They are the story, because if whoever we end up with is a regression back to all the terrible coaches we've had since Old Whitey?

They will have to answer for that. You know damn well this board/their twitter/emails accounts will fill up with: "WTF did you do"?

The fans will hold them accountable. And there will be no "right to change my opinion" for them this time.

The "Media" ran Marrone out of town? I think the Media called BS on Marrone and he didn't like it. F### Marrone. Everyone hates him. Everyone, Even Fred Jackson. If Fred Jackson Hates Marrone. I Hate Marrone!!!

If the next HC is worse, then it's on Pegula, and he'll be held accountable.

Accountability. It's a big word and people really need to dig down and understand the definition of it. EVERYONE!!!

Edited by mattsox

No loyalty there, but if he could have improved by one win in 2015 he would have built huge loyalty. He either didnt belive in himself, or the team, or both.

That's a big IF. Especially if him and Whaley were not on the same page, which it sounds like they weren't.

I didn't see anyone calling Harbaugh a quitter, who left due to bouts with the FO. Kinda similar, in that regard.

Edited by FireChan

I think that it is an interesting question that OCinBuffalo raises. Marrone was a pretty good HC. He wasn't Vince Lombardi but he wasn't Rich Kotite either. There is potential that the next HC will halt the progress of this team. It is also possible that the next HC will propel them forward. Usually when a coach is fired everyone says, "the only way to go is up." Look at the Jets for example (and I like Rex) but they felt that they needed a change so that the organization could start going in the right direction again. The Bills were actually heading in the right direction when St. Doug took his ball and went home. They can either go back, stay where they are or go forward. That is a different scenario than many of these other teams are facing.

It's hard for the offense, and in game decisions to be much worse. It really is. He did some good things. But overall, if the defense is in Schwartz's hands, it's hard for this team to be much worse. Time after time after time after time they put the offense in a good position. The offense had playmakers. The St were good and that was mostly because of carpenter, schmidt , Easley, Graham, dixon and Starters. Not a genius concept.

Yes, Marrone had nothing to do with the masterful defense. I mean, our defense was setting records before he got here.

No, actually Marrone didn't have anything to do with the masterful develop of the Bills defense (his 1st season Mike P did one helluva job keeping us competitive and not being blow out due to Marrone and his inept OC; and, in his 2nd year, it's no great secret Jim Schwartz built upon Mike P's foundation, tweaking and improving the unit to secure more than a few All Pro selections).

Now, back to the other side of the ball under Marrone's "development", if you care to call it that, let's count the number of Pro Bowl selections...Is that a big, whopping goose egg I see?

So, there we have it, prosperity on one side of the ball where other individuals are in charge, and an inept zero, nada, zilch in MaTexty's column.

Edited by Lombardi1

I know that a winning organization does not have 3 different HC's in 4 years.

Yep, true true. I just hope they bring one home before i die, im not getting any younger ya know.

That's a big IF. Especially if him and Whaley were not on the same page, which it sounds like they weren't.

I didn't see anyone calling Harbaugh a quitter, who left due to bouts with the FO. Kinda similar, in that regard.

I dont see Harbaugh with any jewerly either. Edited by mastershake

No, actually Marrone didn't have anything to do with the masterful develop of the Bills defense (his 1st season Mike P did one helluva job keeping us competitive and not being blow out due to Marrone and his inept OC; and, in his 2nd year, it's no great secret Jim Schwartz built upon Mike P's foundation, tweaking and improving the unit to secure more than a few All Pro selections).

Now, back to the other side of the ball under Marrone's "development", if you care to call it that, let's count the number of Pro Bowl selections...Is that a big, whopping goose egg I see?

So, there we have it, prosperity on one side of the ball where other individuals are in charge, and an inept zero, nada, zilch in MaTexty's column.

Who hired those guys?

What side of the ball has this organization been dumping draft picks and pricey free agents in over the last 4 years?

Edited by FireChan

Hardly, I'm more of a "let it play out" kinda guy, rather than a pitchfork guy. Also, call me when ANY NFL team has only 2 - 4 really tough games on their schedule...

And what if the new coach is BETTER than Marrone? Then we've all panicked for nothing :D

Regarding the car, the last thing I do is worry that I'm going to get in an accident before I even get in the car! If one happens, I'll deal.

Who was giving him guff for a winning season? By all accounts he tried to force Pegula into an extension, when he didn't get it Dougie took his ball and went home. So be it.

He didn't leave because he was "taking crap for morons", but all accounts he was the moron giving everyone crap!

I was not against Marrone being here next year, but he's not, so now I'll root for the next man up. And how's that getting a job elsewhere playing out for him?

Of course we will all root for the next man up. We are fans. All that I am doing is conducting a bit of a reality check, given what I have seen posted here lately.

You are exactly right to say that nobody knows what will happen. But that, by definition, includes the next coach being worse than Marrone.

That possible outcome...has been completely ignored by the very people who've had the pitchforks out for Marrone since the middle of the season(ahem, a certain WGR guy comes to mind). In its place, we have these absolutist adjectives like "egomaniac" applied to Marrone, with 0 hard evidence to support any of it.

It looks like people covering their asses after the fact, because it is people covering their asses after the fact. :lol:

Nobody expected Marrone to leave, especially not the Marrone haters. This leaves them nowhere to go...so...after most of the season attacking him football-wise, he leaves and they get exactly what they want, and now they start attacking him personally? WTF is this? Why are they still talking about the guy who is gone, if they've already gotten what they wanted?

That's approaching psychosis.

If I remind them that the new thing they wanted might be worse than what we had? They go batschit and attack Marrone with invective....which is largely non-fact and spin almost certainly being spoon-fed to the media by agents?

What exactly the F goes on here? That's what I'm trying to determine.

If you believe the media forced Marrone out, you're more dumb than a dead parrot.

One of them could just be resting.

Imagine a world where Jerry Sullivan's opinion rules your life's major decisions.

In a small way....we should actually thank Marrone (and whaley) because the fact is the team is better when Marrone left then before he came.....

This does not mean that Marrone was the coach to to take us to the next level......he fixed SOME things....namely our defense

"when the student is ready.....the next master will appear to further his training"

This team now needs the next master......a guy who knows how to make a NFL offense play like a NFL OFFENSE

and then my friends.....you have a playoff team