Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

Sort of except the Bills don't have the running game.

I think what most posters are saying is at this point Manuel is the only real option even knowing the FA QBs. Would it be a good idea to bring in one of those guys? Of course. Bring em in to compete. And draft a guy too. But you can't count on any of them being any better than EJ and I know that's not saying much.

The trade for a QB could happen, it also might not happen. If The new coach of the Bears likes Cutler, he isn't going anywhere.

Fair enough....

Of course the best case scenario is EJ suddenly looks great. But that doesn't mean you count on it either because it doesn't seem very likely IMO.

For that matter, Frank Reich (beloved former player) coming home to turn EJ into a star and lead his team back to the promised land is something they would make a movie about. But how likely is it?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they don't exactly inspire a ton of confidence but Sanchez did win a playoff game in New England and lead his team to two AFC Title games.

The current Bills team is a lot like the Jets teams Sanchez won with.

EJ can't even convince his coaches that he should be the guy when he is the only option (which is why they signed Orton on Labor Day)

He couldn't convince Marrone. A guy coaching for his next job. In my mind, with what we now know, that doesn't say much about his evaluation of Mnauel.

When Ralph died, that clause kicked in. It was a way for Marrone to move on and he wasn't willing to take the gamble of developing Manuel. Look at Carr, look at Bridgwater, look at Bortle, they were all allowed to play and make tons of mistakes.

He couldn't convince Marrone. A guy coaching for his next job. In my mind, with what we now know, that doesn't say much about his evaluation of Mnauel.

When Ralph died, that clause kicked in. It was a way for Marrone to move on and he wasn't willing to take the gamble of developing Manuel. Look at Carr, look at Bridgwater, look at Bortle, they were all allowed to play and make tons of mistakes.

Marrone wanted to win abd/or look impressive for his next gig so he didn't play EJ. That's essentially what you are saying.

What does that say about EJ?

Marrone wanted to win abd/or look impressive for his next gig so he didn't play EJ. That's essentially what you are saying.

So youre trusting Doug Marrones evaluation on QB over Whaley? I dont trust anything about Marrone personally

This is why it is problematic to have Whaley leading the search for a new head coach. He will have his own agenda, which will include wanting to further secure his position as GM by suggesting that EJ has a world of talent and just needs to further develop. I would think that most if not all of these head coaching candidates studied the Bills and the game film to some extent before interviewing and have some preliminary judgments about the Bills and whether EJ has potential. Maybe understanding that they will report directly to the owner will reduce concerns about Whaley's agenda or future role, but I do think it would have been helpful to have a football czar participating in this interview process for the Bills.

Yep. And regardless of whom they report to, no one's going to take the job being hamstrung by an incompetent GM. It's scary the highest ranking football person in the organization, who the new owners are relying on to provide advice and lead a coaching search, traded away a first round pick when they were more than 1 player away, and has drafted what look like 2 busts within the first 2 rounds in his first two drafts.

Unreal.

Edited by BillsVet

A pretty fair assessment of all of the above, Billsfan1959.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Do what you can with what you got is the most sensible approach here. I'm not saying don't add a QB or two, just do it sensibly within the realm of investment long term, not add more unnecessary distractions. Translation: fetch a diamond in the rough at QB in the later rounds (think Tom Brady), and add a Fitzpatrick minded veteran with some zip in his arm and bounce in his step, and then let EJ sink or swim fairly (not pull him in the 1st inning like Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone and his inept OC did). Total waste of time for an entire organization's long term outlook.

Maybe it says he wasn't willing to risk his career on essentially a rookie QB. What coach would? You think Gus Bradley or Mike Zimmer would stake their careers on the play of their rookie QBs? Maybe, because they are probably better men but maybe not if given the chance to pick up a steady veteran QB.

It says Marrone thought an 8 year vet playing with a championship defense gave him a better chance to win this week rather than developing a QB who could turn into a better 12 year vet.

You know what all of them are.

Can you honestly tell me you know 100% what EJ is or how good he can be with the right coaching?

No I can't tell you 100% because nobody can.

However, possible does not mean probable.

Yes, EJ COULD develop into a solid NFL QB. COULD.

But based on what we have seen AND the consensus of all the draft scouting reports on him (inaccurate, struggles with making reads) it seems UNLIKELY to me.

I prefer to make plans based on probability, not possibility.

So youre trusting Doug Marrones evaluation on QB over Whaley? I dont trust anything about Marrone personally

Good thing, because unlike Marrone's hasty exit, something tells me Whaley is MUCH more of a class act on his worse day than Matexty on his best.

Marrone could be an arrogant, nasty person AND be right about EJ.

BTW Marrone's apparent opinion of EJ is shared by a LOT of coaches and personnel people.

Interestingly, the one guy highest on EJ is also the guy whose reputation depends largely on how well EJ does.

BTW Marrone's apparent opinion of EJ is shared by a LOT of coaches and personnel people.

Interestingly, the one guy highest on EJ is also the guy whose reputation depends largely on how well EJ does.

Which current coaches in the NFL or personnel have shared Marrones opinion of Manuel?

So you trust Marrone. Got it.

Its been said you better count your fingers after shaking hands with him.

And id LOVE to see a link where other NFL coaches and personnel depts comment on EJ Manuel.

Edited by mastershake

Someone please explain to me how the Bills going (2-2) while Manuel starts ... and Manuel never playing again this season ... can somehow equal "The Bills wasting the defense on Manuel."

With the multi-dimensions EJ brings to the table, all he needs is the right HC & OC to tap into his natural gifts. The likes of Chip Kelly, IF he had actually signed here, would have already had EJ amassing so much in productivity all over the field, especially on 3rd down when opposing defenses had to choose between stacking the box and containing EJ (risking one on coverages downfield), or falling back into coverage and watching him akin to SF's CK scamper for a hugh chunk of yardage before gracefully sliding into 3rd base). The problem with EJ isn't EJ as much as who happened to be "developing" him this past season. Amazing that Chip Kelly would have someone of EJ's potential soaring high, yet Marrone sits him. Go figure. Guess that's the difference between Chip Kelly's two years in the NFL (20-12) and Marrone's (15-17).

Thank goodness Super Bowl winner Jim Plunkett didn't take too much to heart about what folks had to say about him in his formative years in the NFL. Sometimes, it isn't the QB, it's who is "coaching" him.

With the multi-dimensions EJ brings to the table, all he needs is the right HC & OC to tap into his natural gifts. The likes of Chip Kelly, IF he had actually signed here, would have already had EJ amassing so much in productivity all over the field, especially on 3rd down when opposing defenses had to choose between stacking the box and containing EJ (risking one on coverages downfield), or falling back into coverage and watching him akin to SF's CK scamper for a hugh chunk of yardage before gracefully sliding into 3rd base). The problem with EJ isn't EJ as much as who happened to be "developing" him this past season. Amazing that Chip Kelly would have someone of EJ's potential soaring high, yet Marrone sits him. Go figure. Guess that's the difference between Chip Kelly's two years in the NFL (20-12) and Marrone's (15-17).

I also think Bruce Araians wouldve given his left testicle for EJ going into the playoffs this year. With the injury mess Arizona had with their QB situation this year

Someone please explain to me how the Bills going (2-2) while Manuel starts ... and Manuel never playing again this season ... can somehow equal "The Bills wasting the defense on Manuel."

When you go into TC saying " No QB competition, EJ is the guy... Blah blah blah" then you get blamed.