Sammy Watkins named finalist for NFL Rookie of the Year

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I wonder which one will finish last.

The ironic thing is that we could have had Hill with our 2nd rounder. I see no reason why we couldn't have traded down our 1st and gotten Bridgewater and Beckum or one of the other very good WRs too. Bridgewater, Hill, & one of the other top WRs from that class is a helluva lot > Watkins. That's what a good front office would have done for us.

Instead they put their faith in Manuel and assumed that Spiller was going to arbitrarly do something he's never done and that Jackson was going to reverse the clock on the aging process.

So here we are, sans a QB, sans a RB, and sans a 1st round pick instead.

Yeah, wonderful. Great that Sammy's a finalist though.

Why didn't anyone take Beckham earlier? All horrific front offices?

If the basis of a "good FO" is taking multiple ROY candidates, you'll never be happy.

Edited by FireChan

If the basis of a "good FO" is taking multiple ROY candidates, you'll never be happy.

Look at Houston. They took a guy first overall who was just going to get hurt. Might never play again. Meanwhile, they could have traded back, gotten ODB and another first! Dumb asses!

Look at Houston. They took a guy first overall who was just going to get hurt. Might never play again. Meanwhile, they could have traded back, gotten ODB and another first! Dumb asses!

Even worse, they could've traded back, gotten ODB, drafted Carr AND Bridgewater, threw in Kelvin Benajmin, nagged Jeremy Hill, picked that 3rd round stud guard, and gotten Seantrel in the 7th. That's what a good front office would've done.

I believe this guy still will prove to be the best WR that comes out of the 2014 draft, playing under one the worse -

offensive schemes under Marrone & Hackett did not help his cause.Two yards pass plays are not going to pump your numbers.

Well, but you have to remember, he made a living on those "two yard pass plays" at Clemson. In fact, he caught some absurd number of passes behind the line there.

The copy on him was that he just needed the ball, much as with Spiller, and then magic would happen. So we can say what you said, but that wasn't what they said about him coming out. It was supposed to be his freakish atheticism and after-the-catch stuff that was supposed to make him so dangerous, but that never materialized, obviously. If it were true, then you wouldn't be complaining about him not being used properly. When people say that it's usually, whether they realize it or not, indicative that a player simply wasn't as good as some people had expected, in this case most of the draft guru world. Some got it right, but most thought that Watkins was going to be a phenom.

This would be different if the WRs that outplayed him played more, started more, and had better QBs, but that isn't true. Evans had crap for QBs, Newton had a terrible season, Hurns and Robinson in Jax had crap. People gripe about Orton but he exceeded his career per-game average here in Buffalo, it was his best season ever. Granted, not great, but still, his best ever.

I'm not the one to ask there. I'm also not the one that traded two additional picks for him.

I would have preferred Beckum, I also would have taken Hill in round two, it's on record somewhere. We can argue, but let's face it, this FO blows.

I'm not the one to ask there. I'm also not the one that traded two additional picks for him.

I would have preferred Beckum, I also would have taken Hill in round two, it's on record somewhere. We can argue, but let's face it, this FO blows.

Let's see the "I would prefer Beckham and Hill" posts. I'd love to see them.

We are still awaiting your comments in the Watkins thread comparing his rookie year to other rookie years in the NFL. It was pretty convenient of you to disappear as soon as every started continued making you look foolish.

I figured that I would copy and paste it here:

Watkins rookie year: 65 rec, 982 yards, 6 TDs

Dez Bryant: 45 rec, 561 yards, 6 TD

Calvin Johnson: 48 rec, 756 yards, 4 TD

AJ Green: 65 rec, 1057 yards, 7 TD

Antonio Brown: 16 rec, 167 yards, 0 TD

Julio Jones: 54 rec, 959 yards, 8 TD

Jordy Nelson: 33 rec, 336 yards, 2 TD

Demaryius Thomas: 22 rec, 283 yards, 2 TD

You said that he was "barely a 1st rounder" yet is in the top 5 for offensive rookie of the year. Imagine your thoughts if the Bills would have drafted Calvin Johnson?!? How did you get to be so cluless?

It's an entirely different season now. That's beside the point, this is a record-setting season for rookie WRs period, by a long shot. So that makes no sense.

Also, most, it not all of those WRs, were not the immediate #1s on their team. CJ wasn't. He was the 3rd. Bryant was the 3rd too after Witten and Austin.

So it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Also, the one that promised a massive increase in offensive performance was Whaley, not me.

You guys misplace your anger and dissatisfaction with the team on fellow posters. We're not responsible, the FO is. And they've failed in a grand fashion. So take these things up with them, facts are facts.

By the way, you're going to start seeing a whole lot more great rookie classes for WRs in the future, the rules in the NFL are accommodating the passing game like never before. Look at the QB yardage totals and TD totals. This is like aluminum bats in MLB.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I am not a giant Homer like 90% of this board.

That's it right there. Not sure about 90% that seems a bit high, but you're right, some here will defend anything in a Bills uniform and then the second that they're off the team they're homos and losers.

Marrone wasn't the best liked choice for coach, but it's interesting to see that quite a few people supported him, but now that he's gone, all of a sudden things that were rumored prior to us hiring him are becoming higher profile in the media, and all of a sudden the guy's a dirtbag. The same exact things could have come out if he were still the coach and those slamming him now would be defending him.

There's way too much emotion in most opinions here.

It's an entirely different season now. That's beside the point, this is a record-setting season for rookie WRs period, by a long shot. So that makes no sense.

Also, most, it not all of those WRs, were not the immediate #1s on their team. CJ wasn't. He was the 3rd. Bryant was the 3rd too after Witten and Austin.

So it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Also, the one that promised a massive increase in offensive performance was Whaley, not me.

You guys misplace your anger and dissatisfaction with the team on fellow posters. We're not responsible, the FO is. And they've failed in a grand fashion. So take these things up with them, facts are facts.

Those guys were all less than barely first rounders Kirby. Figure it out.

So it's fair to say that we shouldn't judge them after their 1st years but should judge Watkins? Got it!! His superior rookie season shouldn't be compared to theirs. Thanks for providing your usual well thought out nonsense.

Those guys were all less than barely first rounders Kirby. Figure it out.

Clearly!! If Sammy is barely a 1st rounder what were Calvin, Demaryius and Dez?!? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well, but you have to remember, he made a living on those "two yard pass plays" at Clemson. In fact, he caught some absurd number of passes behind the line there.

The copy on him was that he just needed the ball, much as with Spiller, and then magic would happen. So we can say what you said, but that wasn't what they said about him coming out. It was supposed to be his freakish atheticism and after-the-catch stuff that was supposed to make him so dangerous, but that never materialized, obviously. If it were true, then you wouldn't be complaining about him not being used properly. When people say that it's usually, whether they realize it or not, indicative that a player simply wasn't as good as some people had expected, in this case most of the draft guru world. Some got it right, but most thought that Watkins was going to be a phenom.

This would be different if the WRs that outplayed him played more, started more, and had better QBs, but that isn't true. Evans had crap for QBs, Newton had a terrible season, Hurns and Robinson in Jax had crap. People gripe about Orton but he exceeded his career per-game average here in Buffalo, it was his best season ever. Granted, not great, but still, his best ever.

What a bunch of bull ****. Back in March, EVERYBODY was claiming he was one of the top receivers coming out. Most claimed he was THE top offensive skill player coming out. After the draft, exactly NOBODY changed their tune: everyone agreed he was great, but some just questioned the trade.

Now it's January...and you're special because you knew he sucked back in March. That's really easy to claim in friggin' January. Then you compound it with some nonsense about how Orton had his best season ever proving that Watkins sucked because other receivers had worse quarterbacks...a "fact" that can just as easily be turned on its head to say that Watkins is the second coming because, throwing to him, Orton had his best season ever.

And anyone who disagrees with your warped, half-assed, self-contradictory opinion is guilty of blind homerism. :lol: Hardly. No one's arguing "My team, right or wrong" with you. They're arguing "Jesus, look at this idiot who can't separate the trade from the player."

If Beckham's numbers are extrapolated over 16 games he would have been 1st in yards, 2nd in receptions and tied in 1st with Dez Bryant for most TD's amongst wide receivers in the entire NFL. Even though he played less games than pretty much all the leaders, he was still in the top ten in all 3 of those categories. He had a rare and special season for a rookie and trying to lump him in with any other rookies seems like an attempt to not make him seem as special as he is. When players have a rookie year like that, they are almost always dominant players for their careers and the best in their era, like Randy Moss. I know, he played with Eli! Who last year threw for 17 TD's and 28 Int's without him.

If I am Whaley at the last draft and I have my choice between Watkins and Beckham I am taking Watkins every time. Even though when I saw that they had traded up part of me was really hoping for Mack because of how sick our defense would have been. Seeing how he turned out I think if we had drafted him, our defense next year with him and Alonso could have rivaled the 85' Bears and the 00' Ravens even in this era.

I don't blame Whaley for taking Watkins. Obviously the trade was a mistake. Giving up an additional first to draft a receiver, in a great receiver draft, when you are not sure if there is a viable QB on the roster. If your answer is Whaley thought he had a viable QB, then that reflects poorly on him. He needs to take his lumps for that. If people want to laugh or attack me for this opinion go ahead. All that really proves is you can't give an objective opinion on Whaley's performance. What Tasker said about Marrone is right, a week ago everyone on this board lover him, now he is the devil and we are all glad he's gone. I am actually glad he is gone but you know what, I was hoping he would be gone beforehand, not praising him as the next Parcells like a lot of you were.

Edited by Proteus

If Beckham's numbers are extrapolated over 16 games he would have been 1st in yards, 2nd in receptions and tied in 1st with Dez Bryant for most TD's amongst wide receivers in the entire NFL. Even though he played less games than pretty much all the leaders, he was still in the top ten in all 3 of those categories. He had a rare and special season for a rookie and trying to lump him in with any other rookies seems like an attempt to not make him seem as special as he is. When players have a rookie year like that, they are almost always dominant players for their careers and the best in their era, like Randy Moss. I know, he played with Eli! Who last year threw for 17 TD's and 28 Int's without him.

If I am Whaley at the last draft and I have my choice between Watkins and Beckham I am taking Watkins every time. Even though when I saw that they had traded up part of me was really hoping for Mack because of how sick our defense would have been. Seeing how he turned out I think if we had drafted him, our defense next year with him and Alonso could have rivaled the 85' Bears and the 00' Ravens even in this era.

I don't blame Whaley for taking Watkins. Obviously the trade was a mistake. Giving up an additional first to draft a receiver, in a great receiver draft, when you are not sure if there is a viable QB on the roster. If your answer is Whaley thought he had a viable QB, then that reflects poorly on him. He needs to take his lumps for that. If people want to laugh or attack me for this opinion go ahead. All that really proves is you can't give an objective opinion on Whaley's performance. What Tasker said about Marrone is right, a week ago everyone on this board lover him, now he is the devil and we are all glad he's gone. I am actually glad he is gone but you know what, I was hoping he would be gone beforehand, not praising him as the next Parcells like a lot of you were.

What did Tasker say about Marrone?? I missed it!

What did Tasker say about Marrone?? I missed it!

"Marrone wasn't the best liked choice for coach, but it's interesting to see that quite a few people supported him, but now that he's gone, all of a sudden things that were rumored prior to us hiring him are becoming higher profile in the media, and all of a sudden the guy's a dirtbag. The same exact things could have come out if he were still the coach and those slamming him now would be defending him."

Tasker

Edited by Proteus

There is no doubt that Beckham had a great year. If you extrapolate his stats over 16 games he would have had 48 more targets than Watkins as well. Based on the same numbers if Watkins had another 48 targets he would have finished with roughly 90 receptions and 1,360 yards (if my memory serves me correctly). Edited by Kirby Jackson