Better add Andy Dalton to list of possible Quarterbacks

HOUSE

I don't see why bringing in dalton would be a problem to make some compition with EJ. I think a change of scenery does wonders for a player especially a QB who gets thrown to the wolves right away with great pleasure.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalton > KO, but not good enough to win games on his own.

If the strategy to build your team is "we must get one of the VERY few QBs that can win on their own", then that isn't much of a strategy. Kinda like saying, we can't build a NBA franchise without Michael Jordan or LeBron James or we can't build an NHL team without Gretzky...

Dalton > KO, but not good enough to win games on his own.

If the strategy to build your team is "we must get one of the VERY few QBs thy can win on their own", then that isn't much of a strategy. Kinda like saying, we can't build a NBA franchise without Michael Jordan or lea ton James or we can't build an NHL team without Gretzky... Edited by OldTimer1960

Because he's a tease. You sign him and you make the playoffs and half the people are satisfied with that. But that's also the problem. You have to play him the next year, and the next year after that. And now the defense is getting old or we can't re-sign superstars and we are stuck with no QB again.

I do, truly, understand both sides. I am just against tease QBs. With Cutler, there is a greater chance of him sucking than Dalton, but to me he has the possibility of putting it all together. I'm not saying I want either of them. But as a theory, I only want the guy with the chance to win it all.

Dalton is not a tease. He is what he is: A qb with limitations. If he can get you into the playoffs how is that not better than what they have had at qb for almost a generation? Without a doubt he is an upgrade. If the position is upgraded with his addition that doesn't mean that the organization shouldn't continue searching for a better option.

The 49ers had Smith as their starting qb. He played adequately for them. Yet the organization still drafted Kaepernick in the second round and in the next year they traded Smith and got a second round in return.

Would I be satisfied if a Dalton type qb got the team into the playoffs after missing it for 15 consecutive years? I would certainly be more happy making the playoffs than not doing so. If you can upgrade a position, regardless of the position, then that is a positive thing. Moving forward is better than the status quo.

Edited by JohnC

The 49ers had Smith as their starting qb. He played adequately for them. Yet the organization still drafted Kaepernick in the second round and in the next year they traded Smith and got a second round in return.

Would I be satisfied if a Dalton type qb got the team into the playoffs after missing it for 15 consecutive years? I would certainly be more happy making the playoffs than not doing so. If you can upgrade a position, regardless of the position, then that is a positive thing. Moving forward is better than the status quo.

Not true. Alex Smith was horrible for the 49ers for years. On the way out the door, Singletary said you need a QB. Then they drafted Kaepernick and then, afterwards, because of Harbaugh, Smith started playing good for the first time. In fact, he played great. When he got hurt and Kaep played in Kaep's second season, Harbaugh decided he had more upside and could get something of worth for his backup. When they drafted Kaep they had no idea Smith would be good.

Not true. Alex Smith was horrible for the 49ers for years. On the way out the door, Singletary said you need a QB. Then they drafted Kaepernick and then, afterwards, because of Harbaugh, Smith started playing good for the first time. In fact, he played great. When he got hurt and Kaep played in Kaep's second season, Harbaugh decided he had more upside and could get something of worth for his backup. When they drafted Kaep they had no idea Smith would be good.

You are reinforcing my point. Smith was their starting qb and played well for Harbaugh. They still drafted Kaepernick because they felt that he had raw talent and potential. The point I was making is just because you have a qb who has limitations yet is an upgrade that doesn't preclude you from finding a more talented qb.

A Dalton type qb on the Bills this year would have been the difference between making the playoffs and not. Just because you can't immediately get an elite prospect doesn't mean that you shouldn't upgrade a position, any position, when you have the opportunity. Dalton with his acknowledged limitations is a tremendous upgrade over what we had. I would gladly take that imperfect yet dramatic upgrade over the status quo any time.

Edited by JohnC

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Andy Dalton turns to mush whenever there is pressure bigger than a regular season game. I'd much rather have Mark Sanchez, who actually plays good enough to win road playoff games.

I vomited in my mouth a little bit reading that

You are reinforcing my point. Smith was their starting qb and played well for Harbaugh. They still drafted Kaepernick because they felt that he had raw talent and potential. The point I was making is just because you have a qb who has limitations yet is an upgrade that doesn't preclude you from finding a more talented qb.

A Dalton type qb on the Bills this year would have been the difference between making the playoffs and not. Just because you can't immediately get an elite prospect doesn't mean that you shouldn't upgrade a position, any position, when you have the opportunity. Dalton with his acknowledged limitations is a tremendous upgrade over what we had. I would gladly take that imperfect yet dramatic upgrade over the status quo any time.

Nooooooo. They didnt know he played well for Harbaugh. He hadnt played for Harbaugh yet when they drafted Kaepernick. They drafted Kaepernick to get rid of Smith. Everyone hated Smith when they drafted Kaep. They drafted Kaep before Smith ever played well for the 49ers. That's the opposite of your point. :wallbash:

Nooooooo. They didnt know he played well for Harbaugh. He hadnt played for Harbaugh yet when they drafted Kaepernick. They drafted Kaepernick to get rid of Smith. Everyone hated Smith when they drafted Kaep. They drafted Kaep before Smith ever played well for the 49ers. That's the opposite of your point. :wallbash:

Do you really believe that when they drafted Kaepernick that he was capable of starting in his rookie year? Of course not. He was a qb with a lot of raw physical talent who wasn't going to play right away. The point that you refuse to acknowledge is just because you have a starting qb you still have the ability to continue in your pursuit of finding a better option at qb. If you can't accept that point then so be it. It really isn't that difficult to understand especially as it relates to the Dalton issue.

Do you really believe that when they drafted Kaepernick that he was capable of starting in his rookie year? Of course not. He was a qb with a lot of raw physical talent who wasn't going to play right away. The point that you refuse to acknowledge is just because you have a starting qb you still have the ability to continue in your pursuit of finding a better option at qb. If you can't accept that point then so be it. It really isn't that difficult to understand especially as it relates to the Dalton issue.

Noooooooooooooo. They didn't have a starting QB. They drafted Kaep and had no QB. Harbaugh became the coach and they had no one. Smith was a free agent and no one seemed to want him. Then Harbaugh said they would welcome him back and signed him to a one year deal. They had no starter at all.

Again:

1) IF the Bills had Andy Dalton on the roster, they would be in much better shape. They would have a QB who is not elite, but is quite competent to play NFL football especially when he has Grade A targets. While we are looking for "Mr Right" at QB, we need "Mr Right Now" to take advantage of our current talent level and get us into the playoffs.

2) I said "IF". The Bengals owe Dalton $3 Million next year, but that's pretty much the going rate for a competent backup these days. They owe close to $10 million in DEAD MONEY if they cut him. Therefore cutting Dalton would be dumb, even if they draft Wonderboy. They would still need a backup, as well as a Plan B in case Wonderboy isn't quite NFL ready.

3) Dalton might be traded in the sense that any player might be traded if the deal is right, but the Bengals would want something pretty juicy indeed for him, and the new team would have to persuade him to renegotiate his contract. It gets scary steep very quickly from 2016 on.

What exactly is the point of going on for page after page about a QB who is very likely NOT AN OPTION?

If you want to lust after unavailable QB, why not go for Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and Brady? Heck, add Ryan and Rivers to the list.

Edited by Hopeful